ww scrap

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 27 July 2009
conundrum374 posted this 23 February 2009

for those smelting wheel weights, how do you dispose of the steal clips and other slag? :(

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 23 February 2009

I put my metal clips and my slag in a 3 pound coffee can. Then I mix up a thin batch of cement and fill the can to the top. When hard, I send it to the County Landfill. That landfill is lined and since I live in the desert, it is safe for a few thousand years.

Now, depending upon your state's hazardous waste regulations, you may have to sort the steel clips outs for recycling. The slag may be able to go to a household hazardous waste turn in day. What needs to happen is the antimony, arsenic and lead oxide kept out of the ground water. If I remember correctly, Illinois gets rain, so you just can't bury it in the ground.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 23 February 2009

it goes to the scrap yard you would be amazed at how much a 55 gal,drum weighs when full of clips. luckily i have a friend who runs a scrap yard and i can just drop it all off 5 gal bucket at a time when i feel like it.

Attached Files

Jimlakeside posted this 24 February 2009

I took 3 one gallon paint cans full of clips and slag to my local recycle shop. He put them on the scale with a bunch of other junk and paid me $15.00 for the whole pile. Paid for my gas to the recycle shop and I got rid of a bunch of junk.

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 February 2009

I separate the slag and clips and take to the scrap yard. They give me scrap lead price on the slag and scrap price on the steel.

I usually trade the money from that for more lead, of course I usually have to throw a few bucks at it.

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 25 February 2009

I put 'em in a bowl and eat 'em with milk. Word of warning, if you do this, it hurts................................................................twice.

I keep them in a coffee can. I was told you can use them to help get zinc out if your alloy ever gets contaminated. It hasn't happened yet, but just in case I figured keep a few.

Attached Files

conundrum374 posted this 25 February 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. sometimes the obvious isnt the first thing we think of.  :D

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 February 2009

I use them for weighing down the bodies......................

:P

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Stimp posted this 02 June 2009

JeffinNZ wrote: I use them for weighing down the bodies......................

:P

lol ,,,, Thats Great!

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 02 June 2009

I don't have any more WW clips, but a LOT of slag from cleaning up 22LR range scrap. I put it in 3# coffee cans. “They” accepted it at the last local “Hazardous Waste Day".

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 July 2009

I dispose of ww clips and misc metal I can't use in my blue recycle barrel. My city disposal picks up the barrel with the trash each week.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 27 July 2009

I would accumulate a bunch of those and whenever there's a recycling drive in my community, they would be very happy to take it in. the recycling day is sponsored through a school and the school would take in a penny for each pound. Wheel weight clips, dross, bullet shrapnels, aluminum and steel casings, etc.

Attached Files

Close