.32 ACP in Lee Enfield .303

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 13 May 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Sirius63 posted this 04 May 2021

Hi,

I saw some guys shooting .32 cast bullets from their Lee Enfield .303s, and I see a local manufacturer here in the UK sells  78grain .32 ACP bullets sized at .312 (same as the 165 grain bullets I already use). They are well made, and cheap for shooting at my range (only max distance 100yds). But I read also about re chambering for these rounds? This is not done by the shooters Im talking about.

Any guidance and suggestions most welcome. Im using Maxam CSB5 powder which is an approximation of Red Dot. Im using between 10-12 grains with the 165 gr bullet.

Many thanks, in advance.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 04 May 2021

A sub caliber insert. 

It's a steel 303 shaped "cartridge case" that you put a smaller cartridge of the same caliber into from the rear. Then load the insert and fire as normal.

Sorry can't tell you the name of a manufacturer.  

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sirius63
Spindrift posted this 04 May 2021

Are the 78grs ACP bullets regular lubed, cast bullets, or are they copper plated?

Attached Files

regular lubed cast bullets

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 04 May 2021

4-5gr fast shotgun powder would give you rimfire velocity. I have done similar.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Thanks Jeffin NZ - sounds like a similar use to what I’ve seen here 👍

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 04 May 2021

I don't have a 303, but I have done a similar load with 30-30. Mine was 4.5 grains of Trailboss with a 90 grain semi wadcutter bullet. Like Jeff said, it is rimfire velocity and almost as quiet as rimfire too.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sirius63
  • RustyZipper
Sirius63 posted this 05 May 2021

Thank you gentlemen. I plan to get hold of these bullets and will experiment with loads as described, after a little more research.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
Ed Harris posted this 05 May 2021

I have a couple of the cartridge adapters, one by Winchester and another by Marbles.  The Marbles adapter body has four spring-fingers which grasp the cartridge when inserted in the front, such that the .32 ACP case is positioned where the chamber neck is. The rifle firing pin strikes a long plunger-type firing pin which sets off the cartridge.

The Winchester adapter is like a nickle-plated steel cartridge case and the cartridge is inserted from the rear, resulting in considerable free bullet travel before the bullet enters the rifling.

Group size with the Marble's adapter is in the order of an inch at 25 yards, the Winchester about twice that.

As for loading the light pistol bullets for gallery or small game loads in the .303 British case, I've had the best results using dead-soft bullets of nearly pure lead, as-cast and unsized at .314-.316" diameter, with the lightest powder charge which would reliably eject them from the barrel every time, about 3 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup or Trail Boss is about right.  If using heavier charges take notice of the report and keep velocity subsonic.  Avoid loads which "crack~!"  Supersonic loads are OK for varmints as long as they don't lead the barrel, but in the military 1 in 10" twist barrels I have found them less accurate than slower loads.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Sirius63 posted this 05 May 2021

Many thanks - I anticipate simply approaching this "new" bullet with gallery/plinking in mind, so more useful info. Much appreciated.

Ralph

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 06 May 2021

I do not have the data with me  , I do use 32 cal bullets cast in my 30 cals and also 00 buck shot size down for the rifle . light loads for small game and just shooting 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
M3 Mitch posted this 07 May 2021

I *think* the collective wisdom is that seating these small cast bullets into "regular" brass gives better accuracy than sub-caliber adapters.  The sub caliber adapters do have a lot less air space in the case, but the appropriate powders, Bullseye, Unique, etc. are not much bothered by low loading density, and a case previously fired in you rifle will fit your chamber better than the sub-caliber adapters will.  Not that I have done extensive A vs. B testing or anything, just remembering what I have read over the years.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 13 May 2021

Stopped by Graf's today in St. Charles MO and snagged a .375 round ball mold for $12 from their junk shelf.  Going to size them down to .359 and shoot them from my Rossi carbine.  I hope the aggressive sizing will form a length of bearing surface on the sides of the round ball.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
Boschloper posted this 13 May 2021

Max503:  I have considered this myself. What are you going to do for lube?

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 13 May 2021

Going to size them down to .359 and shoot them from my Rossi carbine.  I hope the aggressive sizing will form a length of bearing surface on the sides of the round ball.

That will work fine. A Lee sizing die usually works best to size thru thru. You will get a flat belt around the bullet doing so with little distortion. Lee liquid Alox lubes them well also.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
max503 posted this 13 May 2021

Max503:  I have considered this myself. What are you going to do for lube?

I've been using the 45-45-10 stuff on everything.  I made the easy version, without boiling the wax.  I melted one can of wax and one bottle of LLA together and put it in a jar.  I dip out what I need with a spoon.  It works well.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
Ed Harris posted this 13 May 2021

When I was a kid I used Johnson Glo-Coat liquid floor wax as a tumble on bullet lube. 

Kiwi shoe polish dissolved in mineral spirits or acetone also works nicely.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close