Dip Lube changing Diameter

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 03 December 2008
shootingShiloh posted this 01 December 2008

Hi all,

Newbie here, first post. I have done alot of reading from this site in the past to get me going in casting.

Now I have a question, I am casting a pure lead 530gn .54 slug for a Shiloh. As this rifle can be fired with paper cartridges I have made all my tubes up and cast a few bullets. I then dip lubed with SPG gold.

hat I have found is that by using the dip method, I increase the diameter of the bullet.

What are people doing to ensure the lube fills the grooves only?

I have been scraping off the excess lube with a knife but I imagine the has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 01 December 2008

You might try placing the lubed bullet on a flat surface and slipping an old cut off case down over the top of the bullet to scrape the excess lube off the surface.  This is similar to  the cookie cutter method of removing the bullet when pan lubed style is used.  You might need to partially resize the case to just lightly touch the surface of a dry bullet to “adjust” the diameter of the case mouth.       Duane Mellenbruch  Topeka, KS

Attached Files

shootingShiloh posted this 01 December 2008

Thanks Duane, that method will work well for my larger 45/70 bullets.

However, the Shiloh .54 has no case, its a paper cartridge affair or insert the bullet into the chamber with a piece of dowel then top off with BP and close the block. Drawback with this method is that you gotta load it with the rifle pointing towards the ground, a pain in the behind when you are shooting prone.

I am wondering if I just push the bullet and the tied on paper cartridge in the chamber as far as I can, it will cause the excess lube to shave off I imagine.

Does excess lube cause fouling issues during a course of say, 20 shots?

Much appreciated, its good to be learning ;)

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 December 2008

I think you could find another caliber case that is close to the diameter your bullet is and open it up a touch to accomplish what Duane is talking about. It would be better than getting a bunch of lube in your rifle. Just a suggestion...

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 01 December 2008

I believe the excess lube, using the paper cartridge method, will cause problems if it's mixed in with your powder during combustion. I would expect velocity variations and the resulting flyers. Maybe consider having a machinist make a cookie cutter for you. This is relativeley simple. If I had a lathe, it would take about 15 minutes and the cost would be mimimal. What is the as-cast O.D. of your bullet? I'd make the cutter .001 over bullet diameter.

Attached Files

R D posted this 01 December 2008

shootingShiloh

Take a trip to your local auto parts, electrical, or plumbing store. Look into the tubing and fittings. you might find a Ferrel or tube that would be just right. If the item is short just solder or epoxy to a longer piece of rigid tube or thin wall pipe that is over bullet diameter. 

After finding the right size item to fit your bullet cut to a easy handling length and bevel the outside of 1 end to a sharp edge, makes it easier to get through the excess lube. You may want to put a dowel button or even tape over the top (push) end to protect the hand. Just thought that a washer soldered or epoxied to the top outside edge would work well. If you close the top for pushing cut a slot in the side for the bullet to fall out of. Sort of making a cut off cartridge case. Of course if you have access to a lathe you can take about anything and turn to the right bore size to pass the bullet without any excess lube and taper 1 end to shave the lube off. other machines may be used with a bit of ingenuity and caution on other bits of scrap around the house or shop, even plastic if you are careful. As long as it will hold it's shape in use it will be strong enough. 

I know that it may sound a bit red neck, that's because it is. Poor boys have poor ways, but it does work and you can make it as good or quick as you wish. This is just a rough idea, feel free to improve on it.

God Bless all

R D

PS; Bill we posted at the same time but I am too cheap to pay if I don't have too.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 01 December 2008

ShootingShiloh:

A couple of suggestions...

1. Jeff's idea is one way. However a cartridge case big enough to just fit over that .54 cal. bullet might be tough to find. You could get some steel tubing with an inside diameter a little bit under your bullet size and then drill it out or ream it with a 35/64” drill bit. Or have some one do this for you. Then as Jeff said, it's just a matter of pushing this tube over each bullet so that the excess lube is shaved off and watch them come out the  top.

2. Pan lube your bullets.. I lube the bullets for my .45x2.4 Shiloh this way. I have a shallow teflon cake pan about ten inches square that will hold 100 .45 cal. 540 gr. bullets when they are set upright with a little space between each one. My own lube, 50/50 olive oil and bee's wax is then melted and poured in the cake pan. Just enough lube to fill the top grease groove. The lubed pan/bulets are left to cool after which the whole thing just drops out of the pan. Then the bullets can be pushed out of the lube cake with a finger or can be cut out with an old 45x2.4 cartridge case.

I'll most often just put the pan in the fridge to help the lube set up a little faster/harder. Then the bullets can be pushed out by the fingers,one at a time, slick as can be. The grooves are all filled and there is just a light film of grease on the bullets.

Regards

RD

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 01 December 2008

ShooingShiloh:

Just thought of a possible solution for the right size tubing while attempting to empty the coffee pot this morn. Over here, the well stocked hobby/craft stores have thin walled brass tubing 18” long and in various diameters. If you could find a size that your bullet just slips into, you would have a simple dandy solution, I think.

Regards

RD 

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 01 December 2008

RD, your all over it! There's no common tube size that would work, but a 35/64 drill bit might do it. That works out to .547 approx. , but drill bit tolerances run +.000/ -.002, so it might be a bit small. Easy enough to open it up with a little sandpaper wrapped aroung a 1/2 dowel.

I'm all for the “cheap is good, free is better” way of thinking. Saves money for the good stuff, like powder and primers. 

Attached Files

shootingShiloh posted this 02 December 2008

Thanks Fellers,

Some great ideas and I will be heading into the Hardware Store (Bunnings, do you have them over there?) and finding some suitable copper tubing.

First though, I will have a look in my shed and see if anything is suitable for the job. The bullets are dropping from the mould at .541", thinking I may even be able to make something out of a .50 BMG case.

I was in the Army (Infantry) for 15 years and have a few 'souvenirs' laying around. Served along side US forces in Somalia and Afghanistan, good blokes to have on side, especially with the firepower.

I visited your country several times during my career, one place I will never forget is Fort Irwin in the Mojave Desert. We were over there in July and it was hot! Also stayed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii, now that was a good trip.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks again for the feedback and ideas fellers, much appreciated.

Mick

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 02 December 2008

ShooingShiloh: Thanks for your service and that of all your Aussie brothers and sisters. I've worked with a few of them at Ft. Campbell and they went with us to the sand box (I'm aviation).  Fine folks (or blokes). I'm sure you'll solve your problem but if you need something, give a holler and we'll see what we can send your way.

Attached Files

R D posted this 02 December 2008

shootingShiloh

The 50 BMG case  sounds like a very good Idea, Just find or make a rod a couple of thow over bullet size and use like an expander button.

R. Dupraz

Good call on the tubing from the hobby stores. I forgot all about them, I think that they use them for fuel in the racers and model airplanes.

Dollar Bill     How far are you from Crossville? Are you just west of Fort Campbell?

God Bless All

R D

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 02 December 2008

RD, Just south. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours. My daughter attends UT Knoxville, so I pass thru Crossville every couple months.

Attached Files

R D posted this 03 December 2008

Bill;     If you have time on your way through stop and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

R D

Attached Files

shootingShiloh posted this 03 December 2008

Its a small world Dollar Bill!

Nothing raised morale more than a Blackhawk Helo coming in to pick you up, beats walking every time.

Happy to report that the .50 BMG case worked a treat. I expanded the case neck with a piece of 13mm rod, then used a Dremel to sharpen up the rim. I like the phrase 'cheap is good, free is better'.

Now I am looking at all the recipes for home made lube, SPG is great but its relatively expensive. Just with a quick look there seems to be many people using their own lube, and a heap of different ideas with ingredients.

The Shiloh is my first BP rifle, I have only been casting for about 12 months too. I have been very impressed with cast bullet performance in my 45/70 and .303 Brit. All the game I have shot with cast bullets have fallen quickly and humanely, just as they did when I was using premium hunting bullets at about $3.00 a bullet. There is a certain amount of satisfaction from taking game cleanly with your own bullets too.

I have used Buffalo Arms in the USA for most of my casting supplies, they posted quickly and the quality is excellent. However, if anyone has a recommendation for another store I would appreciate the link.

Many Thanks,

Mick

Attached Files

Close