308 win with 210gr RN GC

• Last Post 11 March 2019
Coydog posted this 10 March 2019

Hi I can not find any data for 210 gr RN GC  cast boolit  to load in 308 Win. with a 1-10 . I seen someone post on Castboolit some data. But not sure about it. Also look else where and no luck. I am looking for not how fast I can push it but on mark. What would be the min and max load could be use. Also list of powders for it.On the site stated it is said 2400 and IMR 4895. is there any others and where to start and end at. Was going to go with the 10% below start load for Jacket but not sure about it. Thank you

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 10 March 2019

Coydog,

That is a pretty easy question to answer considering H4895 is the only powder recommended for reduced loads by the powder maker.

Hodgdon data shown 100% capacity load is safe for a 208 gr jacketed bullet with 38.8 gr at 2359 fps and a pressure of 58,600 psi.  Hodgdon pdf on reduced loads says H4895 can be loaded down to 1/2 available case capacity with no ignition or position sensitivity problems so you have the entire range of a casefull to a half a careful with a 210 gr bullet cast or not. It is just a matter of you picking the velocity you want and loading for it. There is no big deal about it, just use H4895 and a chronograph.

Math is the simple method for your question. I'd tackle this starting with the strength of your alloy in psi and follow Lee formula to find the load that matches the alloy strength by their instructions to find the maximum charge for your bullet alloy. Gas checks extend the pressure range of cast bullets an additional 10% You can sit with a calculator and figure your answer in no time with high school math.

The only advantage of pistol powders is cost. They have peaky pressures that aren't friendly to cast bullets. H4895 doesn't have peaky pressure and 1/2 case full is likely way lower than you want to go, but that is the beginning of it's range in your application.

Hodgdon's standard for reduced loads where H4895 is used is a 60% capacity load and that is considered a 150 yard Deer load. You likely will not be disappointed with that for Deer to 150 yards. It will take the strength of Lyman #2 alloy to match that load. The 60% load is 23.4 gr H4895. Start there and work up in 1% increments till you run out of accuracy. That is a standard procedure.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
  • M3 Mitch

I would go with about half of the data that you stated  Gary to start with then and work up from there  then .

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 March 2019

If your bullets fit correctly and the alloy is the right strength for the load level and your bore is decent you will end up working up a load that groups 1"@ 50 yards before you run out of accuracy. It is sad to say but if you can't do that, it is because your bullets don't fit, the alloy is wrong or your bore stinks.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Tom Acheson posted this 10 March 2019

Maybe not what you are looking for but the CBA's bi-monthly publication the Fouling Shot lists loads that shooters use in matches. The match results are sorted into three categories.....Traditional, Military and Postals. You might be surprised by the variety of piwders and charge weights. In the most recent issue under Military, you'll see powders like 5744, 2400, 4198, Varget, 4227, Re-7, 4759 and 4756. Bullet weights range from 165 to 209-grains. The muzzle velocity is listed and in most cases the shooter identifies it as estimated but it is one more indicator that might be helpful.

In the Traditional results there are (10) loads listed for 308 Win. and bullet weights up to 208-grains.

Have fun!

Tom

Attached Files

I get the CBA Fouling Shot I will check that out also thank you.Thank you also Gary That will help now I miss the last part of your first post Sorry about that. Now I got a starting of it and understand what you stated. I use that same boolit in my 30-06. 

Attached Files

lotech posted this 11 March 2019

I'm not sure what bullet is being referred, but the Lyman cast bullet book has data for the Lyman #311299 that weighs about 203 - 204 grains cast of WW alloy and gas checked. I use the #314299 version of this mould and size to .311". Shoots very well in 1 in 10" or 1 in 12" .308s.  

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 11 March 2019

I'm not sure what bullet is being referred, but the Lyman cast bullet book has data for the Lyman #311299 that weighs about 203 - 204 grains cast of WW alloy and gas checked. I use the #314299 version of this mould and size to .311". Shoots very well in 1 in 10" or 1 in 12" .308s.  

It is the Lyman  one that is 210 gr that is RN GC  that I had got many years ago . I will have to check that out. Thank you

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 11 March 2019

I have used the Lyman 311284, 311299, 314299 and the NOE 311299 in several .308Ws with 10 and 12" twists.  H4895 has always been a good performer with all of the bullets in all of the rifles.  I suggest, if you try H4895, you start at 25 gr and work up to 29 gr in 1/2 gr increments.  I also suggest (and use) a 3/4 gr Dacron filler.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 11 March 2019

Ok Larry thank you ,,you always  been helping me on the other site also. I am under a different user name there 

Attached Files

Close