300 blackout reloading question

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 29 January 2019
argie1891 posted this 28 January 2019

I have been trying to get some real accuracy out of a CZ 527 in 300 black out. I sent one back to them with targets I had shot and they sent me a new rifle. I have not shot the new one enough to tell how well it will shoot. So far I have only shot one load at 100 yards with a NOE clone of the :Lyman 311331. Groups have been around 2 inches,, not great by any means but a place to start. I am looking for some data using faster powders like my all time favorite Unique. I am more interested in cast bullets of 165 gr, and heavier. Like all cast bullet shooter I have many moulds so can use data for just about any bullet would be helpful. If need be I can always borrow whatever I dont have from Ric in Yakima. between the two of us we pretty much can come pretty close to finding whatever is needed. I am mostly interested in info on faster powders but would appreciate any data that you have had good results with. 

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frnkeore posted this 28 January 2019

I think AA #7 powder would be excellent for that caliber.

I don't have any data but, if you have a chrono, I'd start at 6 gr and work up to what you want.

I also believe that B'Dot would be good, starting at the same powder charge.

Frank

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 28 January 2019

argie1891,

Seriously consider the Lee TL309-230-5R an excellent design specifically for your cartridge. Best feature is the tail.  Bare, it is a well proportioned BoatTail for lower load levels and it also fits a GC perfectly for higher load level experimentation. It is just like having 2 bullet molds to work up loads with.

The Hodgdon 300 AAC Blackout data for the 230 gr Berger tactical works fine for the Lee AAC bullet with many subsonic loads listed by Hodgdon.

Lee bullet mold on sale $19.79 :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/938614/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl309-230-5r-30-caliber-309-diameter-230-grain-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

I shoot this bullet as cast in #2 alloy just sonic with no GC in 7.62x39 with TiteGroup and it groups 1" @ 50 yards from my Remington Spartan single shot. Cast these hot enough to get a velvety surface for a full fill out and just tumble lube them to load and shoot.

You would't be the first to find a 1 MOA load for the 230 gr Lee 300AAC from the Hodgdon data.

Gary

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 28 January 2019

I did a series of 3 articles in TFS 3 years or so back. I shot a 300 Blackout in matches for two years and put over 2,000 rounds through it. It never really was a tack driver but I had reasonable results.

PM me if you have trouble finding the info. BTW everyone told me to try AA9 which was the darling of the Shuetzen guys. It was terrible.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 28 January 2019

I just reread my notes on the 300 Blackout. This is a very cryptic summary:

Full power loads: H4198, AA1680 and 4227

Small game loads: 4759, 2400

Bullets: match - 311299, other Harris bullet 312 -160

Be very picky about your brass

Best match aggs (either 2 -10 shot groups or 4 -5 shot groups) 1.1" to 1.25"

Good luck

Jim

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 29 January 2019

i found both articles you wrote. a place to start. I am wanting to try faster powders like unique and I will let you know what I come up with. I think I will start with a cast bullet of around 200 gr. and around 5 gr. of unique and work up till I get what I am looking for. stopping before I get to pressure signs that look like they are getting higher than normal. I am not looking for power just enough to go through both sides of a piece of paper. 

Attached Files

I just re read there were 3 articles I stoped looking when I found 2. need to look again. 

Attached Files

ok I have now found and read all 3 articles. I am very  pleased that Jim did so much it will save me a lot of time. I hope to get to the range soon and will report my results in the near future. 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 29 January 2019

argie1891

If you have some 2400, give it a try. Good shooting.

Jim

Attached Files

Close