30 Herrett came

• Last Post 13 October 2023
tdoyka posted this 15 December 2022

top is a 14" 7x30 Waters with a Contender frame with a reflex sight and a 2.5x Swift scope (old and over the counter until some company said no warranty and good one).

bottom is a 30 Herrett and a 2-7x Swift scope (i bought it around 8 or 9 years ago, no warranty...cranky)

old Lee 30 Herrett reloading dies

i have an old 30 Herrett trim die and a 30 Herrett HF cut off jig in the mail. i'll see which one is best with my one left hand. laughing

i looked down the barrel and it was clean, but i'll have to take to bare steel and she will get a drop of oil on the patch. then i'll have a chamber cast and and a lead slug to go thru it. i also don't know what the twist rate is, 1:10" or 1:14". i don't know if i'll use 165gr Ranch Dogs or if i will buy some 150gr FNHP GC? i have found some cast boolit loads (i think https://stevespages.com/308p_2_150.html . i have about a pound of H322 and 6 or 7 lbs of Rel 7 and 2400 and 2 or 3lbs of IMR4895. i found jacketed bullet loads, but i don't want to use them. the 2-7x Swift scope can be put on, too. i think my dad (RIP) will smile because i want to do cheaply. note i want cast boolits and a cheap scope to go with the "cheap" dies. the reloading was $30 and the trim die was $25. i bought the jig for $11.39 ($3.50 s&h) on eshay. the brass will be Starline, but i've already bought it and 400 or so brass are just sitting there, waiting to become a 35/30-30 brass. they don't know about the Herrett!!!big_grin  i figure i only need about 100 pcs, so 300 pcs can wait until...................

i've bought another TC Contender barrel.........a 10" in 357 Herrett. i shouldn't have done it, but it was going so cheaply, that i bought it. now i need 357 Herrett dies!!! i have already bought a 357 Herrett jig. i'll need a scope mount to put on 2.5x scope or the reflex sight. i'll have to wait a couple of years to replace the 30 Herrett barrel.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gemihur posted this 13 October 2023

This carbine is it's exact opposite with a 10" barrel and a 1:14 twist. It does have some add-ons for compliance.

My go-to  in pistol has become an E.Arthur Brown 12" stainless in 30 Herrett but I really like shootin' the carbine setup.

custom furniture

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 12 October 2023

I have one of these in 300 Whisper, 14" 1/10 twist barrel and .309 free bore. I need to learn how to shoot it. 

Attached Files

tdoyka posted this 12 October 2023

i'm using my dad's (RIP) Contender. it was a 7x30 Waters that he he would shoot bug holes with. a 115gr Speer HP and IMR4895 with a 2.5X Swift scope. the only thing bad about was the muzzle brake. he would have been better off of NOT having the brake.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • gemihur
oscarflytyer posted this 12 October 2023

Gotta chuckle.  My first dip into Contenders was a package deal with a 14" 7x30 and 30 Herrett!  Not shot the Herrett yet.  Since added a 14" 223 and 357 Herrett.  I gotta get the 2x Herretts set up and wrung out.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tdoyka
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 10 October 2023

I have a Bullberry 12-inch heavy barrel (no taper), 1 in 10" twist with which I set a 200-yard five shot group Long Range Pistol record at the CBA Nationals in Springfield, Oregon. Jesse Miler came right behind me on the next relay and beat my record by .081. At least I hold the record for holding a National record the least amount of time.

The loads were the SAECO #315 bullet at 100 yards and the RCBS 30-165-SIL at 200 yards. These were Linotype alloy sized at .311, LBT Blue lubricant, dropped from the mold into cold water to harden.

In testing, I had found the SAECO bullet grouped slightly better, but the wind drifted this bullet farther at 200 yards. The RCBS bullet grouped well enough to be competitive and was not as wind-sensitive. Wind conditions are a big factor at a new range for matches.

The other factor was shooting a two-day match is tiring. I shot the RCBS 30-180-SP and 30-200-SIL several times and the added recoil in a seven pound pistol was very tiring. There are 120 record shots plus sighters and I take a lot of sighters. Therefore the choice of bullets was a compromise between wind drift and shoot-ability. 

I'd recommend the SAECO and RCBS bullets above.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • tdoyka
tdoyka posted this 10 October 2023

you know, i haven't taken the 30 Herrett out since i was done fire forming brass. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • gemihur
gemihur posted this 10 October 2023

contender with pachmayr

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

gemihur posted this 10 January 2023

I had six different 30 Herrett barrels before I got a 1:10" twist barrel

Couldn't stabilize heavy bullets in 1:14

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 16 December 2022

Twist rates in the 8 equal land and groove barrels remained the same (post plant fire) except for .30 cal. which went from 1-14" twist in the 6 groove barrels to 1-10" twist in the 8 groove barrels. Thus you might expect better accuracy at ranges under say about 200 yards with the heavier bullets in .30 caliber.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tdoyka
beltfed posted this 15 December 2022

It is noted that early T/C Contender 30 cal barrels were 1:14 twist. 

My  early 10" bull 30-30 / 14 twist, shot really well with the 311466 , 150 grain Loverin style bullet.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tdoyka
  • Glenn R. Latham
Aaron posted this 15 December 2022

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tdoyka
Close