25-20 Improved? or what is this?

• Last Post 18 March 2021
winddrift posted this 11 February 2021

Does anyone have an idea with this is.  A 25-20SS fired in what was believed to be a 25-20SS chamber.  Case fireformed into the attached image.  Likely some wildcat of the day.  Any help is appreciated. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
[email protected] posted this 18 March 2021

The P.O. Ackley Handbbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vol.1 lists several wild cats for the 25-20SS. I scanned the page but It won't send on this site. Good stuff though.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2021

...a little slow here so i thought i would add a pic of the long 25-20 SS ... from my collection, this one is from before 1945 ... oh, another long skinny cartridge is the 22 WCF next to it.... possibly one of my reloads from 60 years ago ...

Attached Files

Mudhen463 posted this 14 February 2021

I had a Winchester Hiwall so chambered in 1937 or there about. You are correct about the 22/3000 R2. I ran out of brass for mine & barreled the rifle for the 219 Zipper, which shoots very well. 

Attached Files

ray h posted this 14 February 2021

It's whiddengunworks.com,   229-686-1911     I noticed his lead time is a lot longer, guess people are finding out about him. 

Attached Files

winddrift posted this 14 February 2021

Ray,

Would you have his contact information?   I have a 500/450 #2 Musket double rifle that I do need special die for.  It would save loading time. 

Attached Files

ray h posted this 13 February 2021

winddrift-- If you need dies you might consider John Whidden. Send him 3 fired cases and you get a custom die. I use his standard bushing FL dies w/Wilson straight line seater chambered with my reamer., 

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 13 February 2021

Huh. The Max Lovell doesn't have much shoulder and appears like the pictured case. Sorry, invalid assumption! That would indeed be an interesting gun. I think I would leave it alone too, at least until I saw how well it performed. Could make for a sizzling cast bullet shooter!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
winddrift posted this 13 February 2021

All, Thanks for your help.  I purchased this Winchester 1885 close couple triggered barreled action just for the action with plans to pull the barrel and make something else with it.  This barrel is in good shape and now it intrigues me...... maybe I will just stock it as is. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

gnoahhh, It is 25 caliber not 22.  So it looks like a 25-20 SS opened up with a 22 maximum Lovell reamer. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

Ray,  Agree that was were I was at but I was not able to verify it ever existed. 

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 12 February 2021

I've only seen boxes of 50 with 50 in them.

Attached Files

ray h posted this 12 February 2021

gnoahhh-- off topic, since you shoot these and probably use G&H 22-3000 brass. I have four boxes with their 44th St address on the label. The box is clearly marked 50 cases. BUT when you take the top off there is only 32 (8 rows of 4). Have you ever seen this or have I been counting wrong for 78 years.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
gnoahhh posted this 12 February 2021

That is a .22 Maximum Lovell. I shoot one, a single shot Krag. A right snappy performer. Rifle built by Hervey Lovell himself circa 1940.

Also shoot two R2 Lovells- a single shot 1903 Springfield and a Winchester High Wall.

Always looking for brass if anybody knows of any!cool

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
pisco posted this 12 February 2021

Is it a 25 dean they come out before the 222 I have one in my collection somewhere 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
JeffinNZ posted this 12 February 2021

Yet another reason this forum is so good. Great info.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

ray h posted this 11 February 2021

The one thing that caught attention was the sharp shoulder. There's many versions of the R2. Most of the case dimensions I wrote down have had shoulder angles 12* to 15*. I did find a 30* and 33*, these were called the 22 K Lovell's. The 40* shoulder version I found  was called the 22 Max Lovell. So it's quite possible Lovell did a 25 Max Lovell.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 11 February 2021

At one point in time, pre-1950, it was common to put R-2 Lovell chambering reamer in a regular 25/20 SS chamber. This made a slightly more powerful small game cartridge.  There were lots of weak single shot actions in 25/20 SS that could not be made into R-2's or Hornets, so this was an option for "a little" more power. FWIW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
ray h posted this 11 February 2021

Maybe someone like Lovell or Landis made a 25-20 SS Imp but don't recall reading about it. I have dies for the R-2 Lovell and the 17 Lovell made by Easton.

Attached Files

Close