25/20 Brass

• Last Post 20 January 2021
beagle6 posted this 11 January 2021

For all you 25/20 lovers ( like me) I found a source of new brass at Huntington Die Specialties 530 534 1210.

beagle6

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beagle6 posted this 20 January 2021

Thanks Bud

beagle6

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 20 January 2021

Federal Cartridge

Cartridge Collectors 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 20 January 2021

Received the 25-20 brass from Huntington. The cases have a headstamp with 25-20 Win at 6 o'clock and XL at 12 o'clock. Anyone familiar with a XL headstamp?

beagle6

Attached Files

Eddie Southgate posted this 18 January 2021

I think I'm gonna wait . 20 cases for the normal price of 50 is kind of a rip off in my opinion . 

Eddie 

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 14 January 2021

Alice and I talked to Starline Brass at the last CBA Nationals. Their production manager spent approximately twenty minutes with us and talked technically with us for his answers which I greatly appreciated.

We first asked about annealing in general and them went to the spinoff topic of .25-20 brass. He stated they wouldn't make .25-20 brass because they had the same set of problems. He also was surprised at my comment about different lot numbers.

From this, I have developed the (labor-intensive) following steps: 

• Cut case length to uniform dimension
  • Deburr case mouth
  • Anneal case mouth to the shoulder, no further
  • Step down in stripped seater die - use Imperial Sizing Die wax.
  • Size slowly but steadily. backing out if pressure increases and starting again - use light coat of Imperial Sizing Die wax. 

This has worked for me, if shoulders were to collapse, I would anneal again after the first step.

I once owned an original square-bolt .50-110 Marlin 1895 with little brass. The only brass at that time for stock was the .348 Winchester

• Size up to .358
  • Anneal
  • Size up to .375
  • Size up to .410
  • Anneal
  • Size up to .430
  • Size up to .458
  • Anneal
  • Size up to .510

I grew tired of the work and sold this rifle six months before Starline said they would be making brass.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 13 January 2021

Bud

I read all those things and tried them, including stripping the seating die. Mine was a Lee and did nothing. I'm in the process of cutting down a 270 die to use as an intermediate step. Man that thing  is as hard as woodpecker lips. Will need to anneal it. Now that I have a source of brass I really don't need to, but now it's a challenge.

beagle6

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 12 January 2021

It's 25/20 WCF, not single shot. I was getting worried as I had no luck forming them from 32/20. 

beagle6

Check back, there was a long discussion on forming .25-20 from .32-20 possibly two years ago. Many people contributed their experience and showed their successful steps.

My observation is lot number of brass has a big effect. I had Starline that formed easily using Imperial Sizing Die wax and the Starline lot needed to be annealed before sizing. 

One  observation I found to be most helpful was to strip your seating die and use the stripped seating die as the first step.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 12 January 2021

Yep, went and looked they have both.

So need to go see what I might need.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 12 January 2021

It's 25/20 WCF, not single shot. I was getting worried as I had no luck forming them from 32/20. 

beagle6

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 12 January 2021

Great news.

Is that 25-20 Win?

I have a 25-20 Single Shot(SS) also.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Close