CCI INERT PRIMERS

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 03 October 2008
linoww posted this 24 June 2008

Stayed up late Friday night to load 50 rounds of 30-30 loads for a Marlin 336 I just picked up  No go “bangy bangyâ€? at all !! I thought it was the possibly primers seated too deep or the fact that some rounds chambered a bit tighter than they should have, but still were far from being forced in. I had a few factory rounds that worked fine. Broke the ammo down last night and all looked fine. I took a few primers from the carton of primers I just opened and tried them in another gun and they also didn't fire. I then looked closer, and on each box of 100 was hand stamped “INERT Do Not Useâ€? The box of 1000 was not marked as such. I had glanced at the stamp initially and the brain misread it as “Not For Individual Saleâ€? Called CCI and was informed they were made for RCBS/Speer reloading seminars and videos. The tech guy said it would seem physically impossible for them to get on the shelves. I guess they shut down all  “real primerâ€? production and closely follow the “inertsâ€? then and hand deliver them to Speer. Wow I have rare collectable non-primers

What a reloading fiasco.  

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 24 June 2008

Safety ammo.

You could go into business!!!!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Molly posted this 25 June 2008

Wow.  I thought 'stuff' like that only happened to me.  Say, you don't suppose we're related any closer than Noah, do you?

Molly

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 June 2008

Molly wrote: Wow.  I thought 'stuff' like that only happened to me.  Say, you don't suppose we're related any closer than Noah, do you?

Molly

I bet we are

I was sure I had done something stupid that was causing the mis-fires.The ammo was loaded 1/2 hour past midnight as a last minute deal before a camping trip.

Now when I am pulling the bullets 1/2 of the GC's are stying in the neck of the case.It just keeps getting better<G> I  knock them in and use very long needle nose pliers to pull them out.If anyone has a better way please let me in on a secret.

George

Attached Files

Molly posted this 25 June 2008

linoww wrote: Now when I am pulling the bullets 1/2 of the GC's are stying in the neck of the case.It just keeps getting better<G> I  knock them in and use very long needle nose pliers to pull them out.If anyone has a better way please let me in on a secret. Well, if the needle nose pliers are getting it done, that's probably the best you're gonna do.  I had a similar experience once in a .222, and didn't have the long nosed helper.  I ended up swiping one of my mother's hairpins and bending one tip into something between a fishhook and the letter “L".  Used carefully, this got the job done, but it WAS a job fer a fact!

Hope you don't get too many that come off inside the case.  But look at the bright side:  You now have an outstanding opportunity to see if your seating & crimping procedure is damaging the bullet.

Molly

Attached Files

You now have an outstanding opportunity to see if your seating & crimping procedure is damaging the bullet.

How true.

And they passed with flying colors! I used and impact tool to pull the bullets.I wonder if my RCBS collet puller would grab them well enough and do a better job of keeping the GC on the base.I don't usually have good luck with the collet type with cast bullets.They slip right out or damage the  thing.

George

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 25 June 2008

Are your gaschecks the slip on Lyman type?

Attached Files

Are your gaschecks the slip on Lyman type?

Crimp on Hornady's.

George

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 25 June 2008

I once loaded a box of 30-30's . I was putting the powder can BACK in the powder case when I noticed the label. OOPS ,WRONG powder.!! When I pulled those bullets over half lost their checks. The long needle nose pliers are the only way I know to get them out. IF (big IF) you do not want the brass, you CAN squeeze the necks into an oval and shake the checks out!  MORAL of the story : Do NOT argue with the wife ,then go reload. Now I just READ about reloading after a marital spat.:D

Attached Files

Just got another input from local source about getting the checks out.Open them up to .32 or .35 and drop them out.Then resize them.I wish i thought of that!!

George

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 26 June 2008

my gaschecks don't strip off. Is there a problem with your seating?

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 June 2008

I think its the impact pullet that is doing it.I pulled a  few last night with pliers and lost none at all in the neck.

Beware i will be giving away free primers at my next match in September<G>

George

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 28 July 2008

Here is a picture of junk from my loading bench.  They don't say inert but should say defective, approximately one in ten wild not fire with the most brutal smack.  I looked for lot numbers and I don't see any.  They are good for their primer feeder strips only.

Charlie

Whoops Lot #'s c06b02, c13h on the protective backings.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 29 July 2008

Just so I understand: are you having the same trouble with two different lots of different types of primers?

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 02 August 2008

Yes, I'd forgotten about them until it saw the inert CCI post.  I was so mad at one point I drove a 1/8” pin punch though the primer as the 357 mag case sat downward in a vise.  The punch knocked the bullet out, I just moved on to Winchesters and I'd put them away.  Lots C13H  and G20F too!  Large pistol and Large Mag. Charlie

Attached Files

rcorbitt posted this 03 October 2008

I've had so many problems with CCI primers over the last 25+ years that the only ones I'll voluntarily buy nowadays are for the 50 BMG ...  and then only because they're the only thing readily available.  I have fewer problems with Magtech and Wolf than with CCI.  I cringe whenever I buy a batch of reloading stuff that includes CCI primers -- especially the older ones, as they absolutely will not work in my Dillons.

I certainly hope that none of this bleeds over into Lake City's ammo production ... it's bad enough that our troops are saddled with a rifle that won't reliably kill cats; adding defective ammo to the mix is unthinkable.

Attached Files

Close