225 Win load data

• Last Post 03 August 2022
bumtownbutch posted this 24 July 2022

I was amazed by the responses on the 6X47/6TCU post,  Just wondered if anyone can help with loads for 225 Win shooting Lyman 225415?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Waleone posted this 24 July 2022

There is data for that combination in both the 3rd and 4th Editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

Wayne

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 24 July 2022

I sure wish that Starline would make this brass! I need it for my 226-JDJ. Yea, I know. R.C.C. brass makes it for $5.25 per case. That's too rich for me.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 25 July 2022

I can do this using the application QuickLoad, this will give you a starting load. 

What paramaters: 

• Velocity
  • Alloy hardness 

Contact me: [email protected]

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

bumtownbutch posted this 29 July 2022

I have ordered a hardness tester.  As soon as it arrives I'll be able to advise hardness,  Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 29 July 2022

Hell Aron,

Does Remington still make runs of brass such as the .225 Winchester. I purchased a .225 caliber rifle, several years ago, and bought 1,000 .225 R-P cases from Graff & Son. I hope they haven't quit doing so. Just a couple of years ago I bought some .356 Winchester cases from them. I hope they haven't stopped this process.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 29 July 2022

They will possibly make a run, but not for several years. Selection of cartridges to make is on-demand and the demand is for 9mm and .223 Remington. 

The last I saw of .225 Winchster was W-W brass three years ago. I have a friend with a Model 70 Varmint in .225 Wincheser and I notified him to get this while he could. He was getting ready to use .30-30 by necking down and turning the rims to .473. That is a lot of work. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 30 July 2022

My .225 rifle is a heavy barrel varminter, built on a Remington-Hepburn single shot action. It was purchased in Northeast Nebraska. I don't know who the gunsmith was, that built it, but I wish I could checker like he did.The caliber wasn't stamped on the rifle, and I was told it was a .225 Winchester. I ordered 1,000 cases and started reloading and firing. One day I was piddling with it and noticed the rim diameter at the back of the chamber was bigger that the semi-rimmed case head on the .225. I happened to have some .219 Improved Zipper ammo laying around and I checked & guess what, My rifle is a .219 Imp. Zipper instead of a .225 Winchester. The only difference between the cartridges is one is rimmed, and the other is semi-rimmed. The extractor catches the semi-rimmed case and works perfectly. 
All that I have ever fired through it is heavy jacketed loads. A very deadly prairie dog rifle. I prefer to shoot the much stronger cases with heavy loads than I would the .219 Imp. zipper cases. I have been planning on shooting the Zipper loads through it and see how they performed and also shoot some cast loads.The problem is when you have too many rifles and handguns, I just can't keep up with all of them.

If you have access to a lathe and collet setup cutting the rims down isn't a problem, but everyone isn't as fortunate in that respect as I, with all of my old antique machine shop equipment, If anyone is in a desperate situation for brass, I would let them have the Imp. Zipper Brass that I have, if they would send me 30-30 brass in exchange. I would also cut the rims down for them if I'm not busy and feeling well. Of the 1,000 .225 cases that I ordered, I only loaded 300 of them. I have fired them 3 times and the other 700 are still un-used. I often think that I should offer to sell some of the .225 brass to someone and then I think, my sons and Grand kids will inherit this rifle and the ammo and then I think, I can't let it go. If someone was really really desperate for brass, I might be conned into selling them a small amount.

And sometimes I wonder if the maker of this rifle saw the possibility of a brass shortage for this caliber and cut the rim recess large enough so that cases could be formed from 30-30 Win. 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

DanLH posted this 31 July 2022

Do you think the gun may have been made before the 225 came out?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 31 July 2022

Hello Dan,

Thanks a lot for your response to my post. I'm 78 years old; have fooled with guns since I was in the 3rd. grade, modified and built guns from scratch most of my adult life and have spent a lot of time reading and researching guns and for some reason I did not consider that possibility. It has been in the back of a huge gun-safe for the last 20 years or so. Yes, the .225 didn't exist until somewhere in the early or mid 60's and this gun is much older than that. I feel very dumb right now and I can't believe that I never thought of that. I guess mainly, because the gunshop said it was a .225 and I accepted that bit of info.  I also have a Remington rolling block with about the same sort of work done on it. I guess that is late forties or early 50's construction.It is in .257 Roberts Imp. but I would venture to say that this Hepburn is quite a bit older.

The style of the Remington-Hepburn definitely fits the era when the Zipper was in vogue. Both are beautiful rifles, made with precision and both are great shooters.

Thanks again,

I'm pretty sure that you are right,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

DanLH posted this 01 August 2022

Mashburn

Well at 86 I have the extra 8 years to think about things like that. I am really into collecting, but mostly '03 Springfield sporters, so it came to me that your rifle was probably made before the 225 came into being. I have been trying to get a 219 Wasp on an '03 with a single set trigger to shoot cast bullets well enough to take it to the Nationals for the Little Bore Match. This gun was made in the late 40s.

Do you attend the big Tulsa gun shows?

Dan

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 01 August 2022

Hello Dan,

For forty years or so I attended the big show in Tulsa twice each year. For the past three years or so I have been suffering from a hip replacement that went awry, and I can't stay on my feet all day. I sure do miss attending like I used to.

I also have a .219 Wasp, it is built on a single shot action that I built in my own shop. I never was happy with it and it's setting in the safe for about the same time the.225-.219 Imp Zipper has. Since I don't prairie dog shoot any more, I've been considering re-barreling it to a bigger caliber.  I like O3 sporters also,I have two, both of which I have never completely finished. One is a 03 in 7x57 and the other is an 03A3 in 30-06 The 7X57 is a little Mannlicher With a Winchester style swing safety, it's going to be a cutie when it is finished. I have so many unfinished projects, I just hope I stay on top of the earth long enough to finish all of them

I have a .17 Mashburn that shoots cast lead quite well, I have only shot powder coated gas checked cast through it as far as cast bullets are concerned.I don't know if I'm a collector or just a gun lover. Being a gun lover seems to be cheaper than being a collector.

I've really enjoyed your responses,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

bumtownbutch posted this 03 August 2022

Thanks for all your help with load data for my 225 Win.

Attached Files

Close