SUPER BLACKHAWK GHOST RING SIGHT

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 03 November 2008
oake posted this 29 April 2008

I want to put a ghost ring rear sight on my Super Blackhawk. I don't want to do any gunsmithing on my Ruger, just want to remove the factory sight and install it in the factory cut. Do any of you guys know of a company who makes a sight of that type? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 29 April 2008

oake wrote: I want to put a ghost ring rear sight on my Super Blackhawk. I don't want to do any gunsmithing on my Ruger, just want to remove the factory sight and install it in the factory cut. Do any of you guys know of a company who makes a sight of that type?  There's a replacement aperture rear sight leaf you can get which just substitutes for the open rear notch in the Ruger sight.  See:

http://www.oneraggedhole.com/>http://www.oneraggedhole.com/

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 April 2008

oake

I like ghost ring sites on rifles. I made a ghost blade for my Ruger several years ago, thinking I had something great. After a winter's testing indoors, testing against a red-dot sight and also a scope, I gave the idea up for handgun. I shot worse with it and so did a couple of other shooters. The handgun standard square-notch blade and square front blade are the best for irons, 2x scope is better for accuracy but I don't like handgun scopes.

The link Ed posted looks like a good thing to try. Let us know if accuracy improves....................Dan

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 April 2008

Dan Willems wrote: oake

I like ghost ring sites on rifles. I made a ghost blade for my Ruger several years ago, thinking I had something great. After a winter's testing indoors, testing against a red-dot sight and also a scope, I gave the idea up for handgun. I shot worse with it and so did a couple of other shooters. The handgun standard square-notch blade and square front blade are the best for irons, 2x scope is better for accuracy but I don't like handgun scopes.

The link Ed posted looks like a good thing to try. Let us know if accuracy improves....................Dan

I tried it the One Ragged Hole and it didn't work for me either.  What did was to scrap the crappy Ruger rear sight and replace it with a quality one with sharp sight picture that would hold adjustment in heavy recoil.  I put Bowen Rough County rear sights on my Rugers.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/shop/default.asp?action=_top&category=6>http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/shop/default.asp?action=top&category=6

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

oake posted this 29 April 2008

Thanks! all for the input, the reason for trying a ghost ring is, my old eyes, don't let me shoot as good as once did. This gun will used for steal hunting deer. If there is something better, in iron sights, I am open to suggestions.

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 April 2008

For hunting (my old eyes too) I'd use a red dot sight. It is an amazing sight. Just point in the direction and put the dot on what you want to shoot, no centering necessary. Plenty accurate for hunting. I don't like battery operated things (that can go dead when needed most) but that thing really tripped my trigger. I just loved it for ease of aiming....................Dan

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 29 April 2008

Being born on may 20th 1947 my eyes get old too,and use on my marlin and Rem760 30'06 pump two  williams ghost sights that ,once the screws are glued

with Loctite strong thread blocking glue, are really sturdy.

I use a red fiber optic  frontsight from Brownells that glows splendidly as long as the legal day light is on. And keep  spare fibers,a pcket knife and matches.

In my mountains a  wild hog elf or a banshee, has set a curse on the  cheap red dot batteries of my pals,if more than two boars appear,the battery immediately dies.

So I will never be caught with such a gadget on my Marlins.

I am told that the recent GI red sght are goob,but they cost much money.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 April 2008

<user=519>giorgio de galleani wrote: In my mountains a  wild hog elf or a banshee, has set a curse on the  cheap red dot batteries of my pals,if more than two boars appear,the battery immediately dies. So I will never be caught with such a gadget on my Marlins. I am told that the recent GI red sght are goob,but they cost much money. I placed an order for a Trijicon RX09-23 sight to be used on my Marlin lever guns. The tritium reticle requires no batteries, ever.   

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=126&back_row=0&categoryID=8

Yes, they are expensive, but no more than a high quality Leupold hunting scope and less than a Zeiss or comparable best-quality Euro optic.  Lead time is 8 weeks.  My credit card won't bew charged until the unit is shipped. By then I should have received my “economic stimulus” check from our Internal Revenue Service which I will spend on this fine USA-made item, instead of using it to buy gasoline made from middle eastern oil or inferior Chinese goods from Walmart!  

Attached Files

oake posted this 05 August 2008

Dan I was waiting to send you a reply on how the ,one raggid hole, ghost ring sight worked. Wish I could report, all went great. You cannot know how they shoot if you cannot get one!! Went to one raggid hole's web page printed out an order form, filled it and sent the money, did that on May 1 2008, haven't received the sight or any correspondence, to date

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 August 2008

oake, they look like a reputable supplier. I see they have a phone number, maybe you'd do well to give them a call?  I've been took only a couple of times in 30 years dealing with gun industry suppliers, most are pretty helpful. Looking forward to your sight test yet..............Dan

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 05 August 2008

Ed,

I just came across this thread and I'm wondering:  Was that $600 sight worth $600?  What did you put it on?  How did you decide which rifle was accurate enough to warrant those optics?  How did it work out?

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 06 August 2008

Brownells stocks at least one brand if not more.  800-741-0015

Attached Files

oake posted this 06 August 2008

Dan

I have tried calling him on numerous occasions, couldn't get an answer, all I ever got was a Verizon operator- recording, saying , the Verizon customer I was trying to reach wasn't available at that time.

E-mailed him three times no reply there either, The last e-mail I sent was to ask that my money be returned, let you know how that goes. I have a suggestion for anyone who are considering the purchase of A One Ragged Hole sight, call or e-mail the company, make contact before you send your money. The web page is steel up, with phone # and e-mail address.

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 August 2008

Sorry W.O. to hear about that, what a bite-inda-butt.

Here is how I made mine: Back the windage adjustment screw out all the way on the rear sight. Take out the square-notched blade. There is a spring on the opposite side of the screw, don't loose that.  I took an old hack saw blade (same width) and cut out the same dimension as the bottom of the original blade with a Dremel tool. 

I left the top big to drill a hole centered closely to the center and hight of the original square-notch blade. This assures keeping the same elevation and windage.  Then finish a contour around the hole, which I think was about 1/8” to 3/16” diameter. I'll look around the shop and see if I still have the one I made and take a picture.  Heat old blade red hot and let cool slowly before drilling.

I cold blued the homade insert and the guys thought it was a professional thing. It is a real 'shade tree' project with the precision, versatility, quality, and wonderful improvisation in the hands with a Dremel tool, shrugged by those of 'machinists' stature. ;)  ...............Dan

Attached Files

oake posted this 09 August 2008

Thanks Dan for the idea of using a hacksaw blade for the metal. I had decided to make one myself, as soon as it cools off down here. 

Attached Files

oake posted this 21 August 2008

Dan Happy to send this post!!! After many attempt's contacted ONE RAGGEDE HOLE, by phone, on 08/14/08 he said his work schedule had been changed and other extenuation circumstances had gotten him behind, he promised to ship my sight, received it on 08/19/08.As soon as I get a chance to install it and do some shooting, will let you know how it goes.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 August 2008

Yes, the Trijicon was worth it.  It fits on the XS Systems LeverScout mount or any Picatinny rail.  I'm using it on my .357 levergun.  Ideal for short range in the Infantry sense, or for when you need a wide field of view without losing target location perception changing back & forth between normal eyesight and the optic.  Mounted low over-bore it is natural for snap shooting.  I'll try it on my .44 revolver come deer season!

Before I bought one I had a chance to shoot one at Quantico on the day movement range using an M4 with rail mount.  GySgt who introduced me to it carried one on his M4 during his first tour in Iraq back back when he was an E5 and then took it with him 2 years later to Afghanistan where he had “frequent opportunities to try it out” on the M2HB cal. .50 and also the 40mm Mk.19 grenade launcher.  One of the magnified versions is better on a sniper rifle, but for walking patrol and fast target acquisition he says the refrlex is really great when wearing NVGs and when riding in a bouncing Humvee over rough terrain engaging moving enemy targets at near max range with the Mk.19 at night.  Much more fun than using his .44 mag. levergun to chase coyotes back home in AZ!  

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 26 August 2008

Well, if Gunny sez so...

Now I have to figure out mounts.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 29 October 2008

...so I went ahead and ordered one.  Nice item. The optional polarizing filter is necessary, IMO.

But, with their Weaver mount, it's tall.  Very tall.  On my Ruger M77, it's much higher than my glass.  On my lever gun, it's also pretty tall -- although not as much higher as it was on the bolt gun.

I can see where this would be very handy on top of a pistol but I'm trying to find a rifle this would work with.  Maybe it's time to buy another rifle.  (What?  Buy a rifle so you have a place to put that fancy sight?  Hmm...  Good idea!)

Someone else recently mentioned a 50 Beowulf somewhere on this forum.  I had to go look it up.  Sweet!  I have been vaguley aware of other-caliber uppers for the AR rifles but had no idea that real he-man cartridges were an option.

Naturally, I also learned of the 458 SOCOM.  For me, the 458 is more appealing -- probably because of the 45 rifle molds I already own.  And the boxes and boxes of jacketed bullets someone gave me because I knew the correct answer to, “Do you load 45-70?"

All this AR buying is new to me.  And finding a sensible rifle isn't easy.  I'd like a 20” barrel with a recessed crown (What's with all the 16” barrels?  They're easy to handle while sitting in your truck?  And what do I care about flash suppressers?) and they don't seem to be available.  I'll have to figure that out, later.

There are lots of parts for these rifles!  Right now, I'm wondering: are all those parts really interchangable among all those manufacturers models?  Who are the real quality standouts?  How about the dogs?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 October 2008

I did not get the Weaver mount, as you said, WAY too high.  I got the A.R.M.S. throw-lever mount, which is quick-detachable and returns to zero.

The A.R.M.S. mount uses the front clamp to lock into a rail groove, and the rear mount simply clamps onto the sides of the rail.  The Picatinnny clamp has a square cross-section cross bar and you do have to touch up the groove where you want to locate it it on the Lever-Scout mount with a file.  It takes very little, do so carefully.

Fit is snug enough that you retract the clamps and push them back into the mount with your fingers, then slide the mount over the front of the rail and align the front locking bar with its slot.  My sight is centered over the barrel-receiver junction at the balance of the piece, and the rail slot was adjusted for a press-fit.  Clamps anchor everything rock-solid and return to zero is perfect.

I have fun shooting it on the indoor range with most of the light out.  You can keep .38 Specials on a target paster at 25 yards with no trouble,  and ringing an 8 inch gong with .357 mags to 200 yards is a lead pipe cinch!

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 03 November 2008

My experience mirrors Ed's. I've shot M4s with both the ACOG and the Reflex sights. For anything bigger than a squirrel, zero magnification with a precise aim point allows for fast target aquisition.

I see deer hunters here in the Tennessee woods with 3x9 scopes when the farthest you'll even see a deer is 100 yards. Heard plenty of stories about missed deer because they couldn't find the deer in the scope before it was gone. Then they go to those bastard “see-thru” mounts and they can't make the transition from scope to iron sights in time. Me, I use a Tasco 1.75x4 set to the lowest power and never had a problem aquiring a running deer at 25 yds.  Cheap scope? Maybe. I paid 150 for it 20 years ago and it hasn't failed me yet. I believe you should get the absolute best optics you can afford, but make sure it's right for the mission.

Attached Files

Close