.22 TCM

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 04 February 2019
David Reiss posted this 28 December 2016

Bought this fire-breather about 2 years ago w/ the extra 9mm barrel. The .22 TCM can push the little 40-45 gr. jacketed bullets up to around 2000 fps with very little recoil, but a .44mag type muzzle flash. It is super accurate to 50 yards with the open sights in my testing, with claims of excellent accuracy to 100 yards with optics. It's really fun to shoot and the JB's made by TCM are cheap. But I want to start experimenting with some cast bullets and wonder if anyone has had any experience with it. I used to frequent the .22 TCM forum, but no one uses CBs that I can find. Rifles in this caliber are said to give good accuracy out to 150 yards before the light bullets fade.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 04 February 2019

Yes very and the muzzle blast is tremendous. People at the range wonder what your shooting but when they try it they can't believe the .22 LR type recoil. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
max503 posted this 04 February 2019

Sounds like a hoot.  Is it LOUD?  (My Hornet sure is.)

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 04 February 2019

Mike,

Try these, I've had success with both.

NOE 225-35-RF-BY5 or Lyman 225107. 

Attached Files

tucumcari_kid posted this 04 February 2019

What is a good mold for the 22TCM9R?  I've considered a couple but I want to be sure they will pass.  I haven't really looked at the dimensions to see how much nose can be exposed and still fit in the mag.  

Mike

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 21 May 2018

Any new news on this? 

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 26 July 2017

Well this month's American Rifleman has an article about this .22 TCM, so now I have at least a little background information on it. 

Have you tried any cast loads yet?

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 29 December 2016

It is my understanding that the early rifles had issues with twist rates. However they now have different twist rates and I have even seen posts on the .22 TCM forum that state that early rifles returned to the factory by owners were rebarreled. I don't know what the twist was is now. The only issues I have seen was with some early ammo and extraction problems, but that was corrected also. I have not experienced any issues with my 1911, either with the 9mm or .22 TCM barrels. 

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 29 December 2016

I've been wanting one in a rifle, but have heard they have very thin rifling.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 29 December 2016

I was thinking about the 225438 immediately.  If your mold casts a good diameter for your gun, I guess give it a try.  I have read that most jacketed starting loads will work for a cast bullet as well, but, of course use due caution. 

Being stuck with a relatively short and light bullet, it might be a challenge to get a CB load that works the action.  Offhand a larger charge of slower powder might help get the recoil impulse up to where it needs to be. 

Me, I would much rather stake my life on 7 .45 ACP rounds than a hat full of any sort of .22.  But it's a free country, and I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22 short, much less this TCM.

My first cast bullet handloads were for my first rifle, a Ruger M77 22-250.  Like the bumblebee who does not know she can't fly, so flies anyway, I didn't know that over-capacity .22 centerfire ought to be difficult to get shooting with cast, so I just cast up some 225415 (I think that's Lyman's #) - a flat point of about 45 or so grains - loaded up with some 700X and Bob was my uncle. Point being I don't see why you can't come up with a cast load for this gat.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 28 December 2016

Twist is 1-16", but the mags also limit the bullet length. I think the 225107 - 37 gr. (looking for)  & the 225438 44 gr. (which I have) would be a good choices. It is a hoot to shoot and very cheap to handload. There are even a lot of people supporting it use as a self defense round. The high capacity mag, super fast bullet and virtually little to no recoil makes for a good argument. However I am not on that bandwagon, but it is interesting to think about. 

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 28 December 2016

What is the twist rate in the barrel?  Offhand I would think any CB that works in the .22 Hornet would be OK here.  I have never heard of this caliber before now. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 December 2016

cute little thing    biggest is 223 rem.

Attached Files

Close