Purpose of this forum

• 9.3K Views
  • Last Post 14 January 2009
CB posted this 21 April 2008

Okay, the rising cost of everything is affecting everyone. Gas, shipping, food, primers, powder, well everything.

Sometimes we run across a deal, sometimes there is more than we need. This is the place to share that info.

For instance: Every year I go to the NRA national matches at Camp Perry, Ohio to buy up powder and primers and other shooting supplies directly from large vendors at a savings. I either invite some of our guys to go, or take orders for what they need for the upcoming year, make the trip, buy the stuff and bring it home. My guys generally kick in a few bucks to help cover the fuel cost and they still save a bunch of cash because it is cheaper than through many other places and there is no hazmat fee's.

Of course one of the perks for me is on the way home I stop by Tony Pachos for some good chow. For those of you that live in my part of the world, you know what that means. For those that dont, Tony Pachos is the place that Klinger on the MASH series on TV got the hotdogs from, it is a world reknown eatery that celebrities, presidents and movie stars have frequented and has plastic encased hotdog buns bearing their signatures covering the walls. But that is another story..And way off topic and now I am hungry....

Also I am going to attempt to make a deal with the fellows that run the group buys over at Cast Boolits so they can come over and post what the group buys are so we can get in on them. Their groups buys usually are for Lee Molds and Gator gas checks and are at a significant savings over what they would cost normally.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
runfiverun posted this 22 April 2008

i believe there is a g/c buy gettin started over there right now.

there is a problem with the quality of the lee molds, even the custom ones being ordered right now so some type of negotiation < i believe>

will be taking place before another order is made, but a k-31 bullet is being discussed.

thought ya would want to know, and i know ja know.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 April 2008

My intital conversation with Ken the Admin over at Cast Boolits has been very positive. We are going to have a chat today.

He has agree to allow us to join in on the group buys.

What I am looking for is someone that is a member of both forums to serve as the person that posts the info on the group buys on this forum.

If anyone is interested in such a position, send me a PM and we can discuss what all of this entails.

Jeff

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 17 May 2008

:idea1:  One of the best buys I've ever gotten is from one of your site sponsors. I purchased a Model 3 Redding Powder Measure with both micrometers.  I've used it constantly to load bottleneck cases. It has some real nice features and with both small and large capacity mics, I load about anything that I have a whim to load. Currently it sells for around $106, that a hundred for the only powder measure you'll ever need.

I've loaded before with a friends Lyman #55, the Redding far outdoes it. It's smoother, simpler and more stable to use. Considering that this model isn't the BR benchrest model and will probably perform as well as the BR, I'd say it's a good deal. Redding has top-notch equipment however, it generally has a top-notch price. I've found this powder measure to be the best bargain around. I sit and load weekend after weekend to the tune of more than 100 rounds loaded single stage. I do use it ALL the time. Just can't get better. :coolgun:

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 17 May 2008

:armyhelmet:     Following a short section in Mr. Brennan's book (I think that's where I read it), an idea hit me.  He mentions cleaning firearms with just about any solvent you can think of.  Recently, I bought a quart of Hoppe's #9 but, if I have a headache, I don't care for the smell. It does seem to get where it doesn't clean good somedays-might be me.

I walked out in the carport and picked up a rusty can of thinner for oil-based paint that I use to coat silhouette targets on the range. The stuff smells like white kerosene and , after putting it in a glass jar, I found out it looks exactly like kerosene. Undoubtedly, that's what it is. And it's cheap. So, I tried cleaning a pistol barrel with it, just to see if it cleaned good enough to consider-hey, it's my money, okay?  Well, it does work, and better than you'd think. It's a little oilier than Hoppes with less light ends that evaporate, and seems to clean quicker. I see nothing but sharp-edged rifling down in there after just a few passes with a brush and then a few with a patch. Seems to work wonderfully fast without being too high in specific gravity(never mind, it ain't gasoline is what I'm sayin').

There's my Dollars and Sense, hmmm....

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 14 January 2009

The potential problems with unknown solvents can be “unexpected consequences". As a for instance, the use of Shooters Choice and Sweet's Copper Remover by the bench rest shooters a few years ago. Each of these products were and are excellent products. Mixing them together seemed to be a good idea (Shooters Choice as a powder solvent and Sweet's as a fast acting copper remover). The only problem is that the combination pitted a number of top notch benchrest barrels. The barrels were ruined. The only solution was to re-barrel. THAT is what I meant by “unintended consequences".

When Ed Harris developed Ed's Red as an excellent gun cleaner solvent he, being the bright fellow he is, had an organic chemist looking over his shoulder so Ed's Red would NOT cause unintended consequences (plus Ed's education and occupational experience didn't hurt, either). Ed's Red is NOT a random collection of whatever happened to be handy. Each component was carefully thought out.

So, if I want an inexpensive bore cleaner/solvent (and I use it regularly) it's Ed's Red for me!

Hopefully, Ed will chime in here and reinforce what I have said.

Unless you have the background and education to back up your decision (not pointing the finger at ANY individual) do not just “use what's handy". There's no need to. The military likes “Break Free", so if I wanted a commercial product, that is what I would use for general use. I have also used Shooter's Choice AND Sweet's (INDIVIDUALLY and EXACTLY as directed) with excellent results.

However, for general use, Ed's Red is my choice as it is effective, safe, and inexpensive (I mix mine EXACTLY following Ed's directions).

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Close