2020 Groundhog Postal Match - RESUMED

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 July 2020
Bohica793 posted this 21 February 2020

MATCH RESUMED - Targets due 15 Dec 2020

LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES:  Match closes 15 July.

NOTICE:  New address to return targets: 

Leonard Thornton 7334 Magnolia Springs Hwy Foley AL 36535

After following the current interest thread on the forum, I am stepping up to get this off the ground.  I am supplying targets and information sheets for all entrants.  If you have targets from last year's shoot, you may use those and I will email you the info sheet.  Your only cost is the envelope and postage to return the targets and information sheets to me for tallying.  No prizes other than bragging rights.

Rules:

Turn in deadline: May 15, 2020

Ground Hog targets at 50 yards.

10 shots for both score and group.

Any centerfire rifle or pistol up to and including 45 caliber.

Plain base cast bullet in fixed ammunition.

Field positions including walking staff, cane, hand held shooting sticks, shooting sling but no bench rest or mechanical rests ala F Class.

4X scopes or iron sights.

I will collect the targets and publish the results in this thread.  If the powers that be wish, I can provide the results for publication in TFS.  If the participants would like, I will also distribute the results quickly via email.  It would be very interesting to collect rifle, bullet and load information just like the regular CBA postal matches. This info could be a very useful source. 

I am sure there are other details but I would like to not reinvent the wheel here.

Who would like to play? Indicate interest here followed by sending me contact information via PM.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
  • Bill2728
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rarintogo2 posted this 13 July 2020

Count me in. Will send PM with contact info.

Pat

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • blackout52
max503 posted this 12 July 2020

Head for the hills you mangy gopher.

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 11 July 2020

Question, is using a red dot sight allowed?

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 09 July 2020

PM me your postal and email information please and I will add you to the list.  I was supplying targets but as you have already ordered yours I will leave well enough alone.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 09 July 2020

May I still join in? I've ordered my targets from Midway.

Jeff

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 07 July 2020

Last call for entrants.  I am closing the entry for this match on 15 July.

Attached Files

barra posted this 07 July 2020

This is the 30-30 shot off a seat holding two stick together like cross stick.

wonky set-up at best.

The stray right hand side shot I do not know how I managed that one but I ended up with a crinkled neck case after firing.

Haven’t had that happen before either.

Between downpour and time limited session.

At least I got out.

310 cadet with 2 grains bulleye .

I find it was fuzzy looking through the peep sight. They seen vivid close enough.

Must be a trick of the eye and was favouring right.

I couldn’t see where any of the bullets were hitting which not good in my favour as well.

I’m sure it was shooting 1" groups.

Same wonky set-up.

I think they have the same score.

Ohh well plenty of time left and have two more targets to shoot.

I may need some more excuses.....can I claim a mulligan on the 30-30 target?

cheers

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
longhunter posted this 07 July 2020

Thanks

I'm glad you reopened this match. Its a hoot.  Lets shoot.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 28 June 2020

My apologies for my extended absence but I have just gotten internet access installed after waiting three weeks at my new farm.  I am resuming the Groundhog match and extended the target due date to 15 December.  Additionally, the targets should be returned to my new address:

Leonard Thornton

7334 Magnolia Springs Hwy

Foley, AL  36535

Light 'em up boys and girls.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 28 June 2020

Off to the range tomorrow to sight the No 4 Mk 2 (Faux No 4T).  Bushnell Banner 2.5 scope.  Load is NOE 314008 PB over 8.5gr Trail Boss.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 June 2020

We are an open air prison of 5 million.  Range is open.  I have two weeks off from Monday.  Intend being at the range a great deal.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
barra posted this 25 June 2020

Wait to you see mine.

They do look like was standing in a canoe.

whats the go in NZ? Are you aloud out yet.

we can have some,people at the range here in qld but not sure if vic has behaved itself and no one wants them so we don’t talk to no Mexicans any more just  like the nsw premiere said to.

ha.

Attached Files

Glaciers posted this 24 June 2020

Jeff that's mighty grand of you to make that offer. It will certainly help to even things out a bit for poor blind old guys with the shakes like me. Just kidding. To even things out it would probably be more fair to you, for to shoot from 100 yards.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 June 2020

My targets arrived in New Zealand all the way from Alabama!  That's an awfully big target for 50 yards.  Gunna shoot mine standing up in a canoe just to be sporting.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

barra posted this 24 May 2020

Well I got lucky and secured a placement to shoot for a few hrs today.

The ban has been lifted for buying ammo without a permission from a land holder and some ranges are tentatively opening with restrictions in place.
At least in the state of Qld. At the moment as it stands.

I don’t know what’s happening in NewZealand .

We having a cold wet weather front harking in the winter cold. At a mere 18*c I was reluctant to get out of bed but was eagerly up.

My long pants no longer fit as they must have shrunk over the last few years I haven’t worn them so braved the elements in shorts.

I thought I try shooting sticks.

I took a seat and two walking sticks held together by the hand loop on one of them.

It worked ok when I tried it at home with a bit of pipe as a sudo gun.

I wish I took some cord to hold he legs apart and not move about but that is part of the fun and learning curve I suppose.

After a check for sight in with the 30-30 and 310 cadet and a confirming shot on a practice target I was ready to go.

Image shows 3 x 310 cadet rounds on the right and a confirmation on the ground hog. Higher Shot.

30-30 in the black dot.

More later of what happened if we are allowed to post. 

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 May 2020

^^^^^ x 2

PM to you Ed

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 17 May 2020

I am of the opinion that when New Zealand and Austraila open, i will open this match back up.

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 May 2020

45 2.1 ... Our governor seems intent on breaking our state by only letting essential businesses operate. The are heavy fines for non essential businesses doing ANYTHING. Unfortunately, copy shops are not open.. anywhere. I've got the originals, but nothing to practice on. Please wait on opening this up.

Hi,

If you have your own printer, I'll be happy to give you a PDF of the targets (actual size) with the main scoring area that will fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper that you can print yourself. If you don't have that capability, please PM me and I'll mail you some practice targets. Luckily, I'm in a red state where the governor doesn't act like a dictator with new (unsanctioned /unconstitutional) "emergency" powers. Just let me know

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 May 2020

Our governor seems intent on breaking our state by only letting essential businesses operate. The are heavy fines for non essential businesses doing ANYTHING. Unfortunately, copy shops are not open.. anywhere. I've got the originals, but nothing to practice on. Please wait on opening this up.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 17 May 2020

Optimism is sneaking in!

I plan to shoot this Postal target soon, now that I'm allowed to use our club. I'll wait to send it in until this event is once again alive.

Our club held its first match yesterday. It is a CMP, 3-position event, mostly M-1 Garands. A firing line that has (20) positions was modified to allow (14) shooters. 

At tomorrow's CBA match I will use the same 9'-3" spacing, center -to-center, between shooting positions. We require advance sign-up via e-mail, so that if more than (14) want to shoot, we can advise the late sign-up guys know, so they don't make a useless trip to the range.

As long as we practice "social distancing", on the firing line and down range handling targets, we should be OK. Requiring exact change to be dropped into a box and no change, money being handled, also helps. 

Hopefully our next match will be run under less constrictive measures.

Tom

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close