200gr cast lead bullet in .303 British

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 21 May 2021
Erich813 posted this 18 May 2021

Hi all, 

I've been reloading for a couple years, always factory jacketed bullets.    

I have an old Enfield #4, the barrel slugged at .314 and I got a box of .315 200gr cast bullets from MontanaBulletWorks.  

Now I'm trying to find load data and all the data I've found stops at 180gr.   I have Varget, H335, H4198, and H414.   I am really hoping to use the H335 if it's plausible as I have a large quantity and only a little bit of the others.  

Does anybody have sources for safe load data that I could use.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.   

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 18 May 2021

Found this: http://www.303british.com/id13.html

and this that has a reprint of Ed Harris' 1993 article on loading for mil surplus rifles: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=55016

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 19 May 2021

I'll just comment that a cast bullet needs to fit the throat, not so much the bore, so if you get leading and poor accuracy, possibly the bullets you have on hand are not large enough in diameter.  It just depends but a bullet only .001 over *bore* diameter may very well be undersized.

Best of luck and I hope I am wrong, but, if you don't have great results with these bullets, you may want to try to source some a bit bigger, ideally matched to a measured throat diameter, failing that, just go up a couple more thousandths and see if that helps.

Would hate to see you try these and not be impressed with the results, and then decide this whole cast bullets in rifles thing just won't work for you.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
pisco posted this 20 May 2021

You need to do a chamber cast 

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 May 2021

Use .30/40 Krag data for 200gr bullets.  Cases are almost identical and the Krag runs at lower pressure.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • bdrake71
Erich813 posted this 20 May 2021

Thanks for the input.  

JeffinNZ.   Looking at Hodgdon Reloading website they have 30/40 Krag data for 30gr of H335 behind a 200gr bullet.

to those who are more experienced, does that sound like a reasonable starting point?    

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
pisco posted this 21 May 2021

Don’t know your powder burning rates but I picked up some win 748 and run 25gr behind 175gr cast

Attached Files

Close