1964 to 1982 Winchester Model 94 Receiver Material?

• Last Post 10 August 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
alphabrass posted this 21 May 2023

A diversion into some industrial history.

Was the receiver a graphitic steel casting per the Du-Lite Company’s information, or sintered ferrous powder metal?

Various blogs and forums give both answers.  Du-Lite was Winchester’s supplier of finishing chemicals.  The change to a casting was done as part of the 1964 cost reduction changes.  Whatever the material, it is infamous for the finishes applied to it.  My 1976 example is in great condition except for the freckles.

Robert C. Renneberg’s book Winchester 94, A Century of Craftsmanship states that an investment casting was used.    While no source for this is given, it makes sense as sintered firearm parts are a fairly recent development.  He also states that a “mystery metal” was used which was difficult to finish.

Improved machinability is one of the advantages claimed for graphitic steel.  However, the choice of this somewhat exotic material seems unwarranted.  The receiver was changed back to a traditional material in 1982.

My questions for Cast Bullet Association Un-artificial Intelligence knowledge banks are:

Who did the casting?  Possibly Ruger or Thompson/Center?

What is the mystery metal?

Does anyone have a copy of, or remember, the Winchester catalog that give some information about the materials and methods for the post 1982 receivers?

Without the Winchester specifications and documents these questions may be impossible to answer.  But interesting nonetheless.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mike Gordon posted this 03 June 2023

I don't have a catalog but I do have a post 1964 Winchester 94 unfinished receiver casting that was given to me some years ago. Here are some cell phone photos that I took some time ago.

Here

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • alphabrass
alphabrass posted this 03 June 2023

Thank you!  

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 10 August 2023

Hello to all, \

According to the Winchester engineers, this receiver steel is the same as the steel,, found in a fire hydrant.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close