Proud New Owner of a Marlin 336RC in 35 Rem

• 6K Views
  • Last Post 23 November 2008
CB posted this 04 March 2008

I picked up a Marlin 336 today in 35 Remington. Had it scoped while I was there.

I have a two molds that are appropriate for this rifle, I think. RCBS 357 180gr Silhouette and a Lyman 357 214gr SWC. I am looking for suggestions on other bullets to cast and shoot in this fine rifle.

Plus I am looking for brass.

So for the moment, I am the proud Pappa of a new lever gun.

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 04 March 2008

I have that Lyman 215 grain SWC GC mould , but so far I have just shot it in the 357 MAG rifles I have !

You might give seriouse consideration to a pair of moulds .

The first would be the old standby RCBS 35-200 GC mould , I've been using that one for quite a few years now with great results .

And the other would be the yet to be publically released Ranch Dog 359-190 GC mould . I have this one and the earlier 359-180 version and like them both !

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com>www.ranchdogmolds.com

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2008

6pt,

I have two RD Molds at the moment and very happy with them. They are the 45 - 350 and 44 -300gr one. He doesn't have a 357 listed at the moment.

I use my Lyman 214gr mold for 357 Mag and 357 Max, so it I load things properly, I could use the 214 gr for my L Frame, my Contender and my 336. But that may be wish full things. Thanks for tip on the molds.

Jerry

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 March 2008

miestro_jerry wrote:  

I have two RD Molds at the moment and very happy with them. They are the 45 - 350 and 44 -300gr one. He doesn't have a 357 listed at the moment.

Jerry , he originally made a 359-180 GC mould which I happen to have one of . It works great in the 356 WIN , but there were some issues in the 35 REM .

He has since revamped it and made it into a 359-190 GC design . I am sure this one will also be good in the 356 WIN , but I have yet to try it in the 35 REM even though I have ammo loaded and waiting to take to the range .

It is my understanding that he has submitted the final specs to Lee already and they should be available in july I think . If memory serves he has it coming in a 6 cavity only although I could be wrong on that one ! But at least you can get a 2 cavity if not the 6 ! Either way your cost at most will be like purchasing a Lyman/RCBS 2 cavity mould . But if you get the 2 cavity it will be about $25 plus shipping !

At the moment I have I think 10 of his moulds and am satisfied with them all !

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 05 March 2008

Jerry

I have had really good luck with RCBS-200-FN in my Marlin, I use ether AA2495 or 4895 for powder at around 2050fps. Works real well on Deer and Pig size animals seems to drop them in there tracks. I have also shot the Lever action silhouette match's with it and had no problem knocking over rams at 200 yards. This is one of my favorite hunting rounds with the RCBS bullet.  

Scott

Attached Files

sundog posted this 05 March 2008

+1 on the RCBS 200-FN

Attached Files

Scott Merchant wrote: Jerry

I have had really good luck with RCBS-200-FN in my Marlin, I use ether AA2495 or 4895 for powder at around 2050fps. Works real well on Deer and Pig size animals seems to drop them in there tracks. I have also shot the Lever action silhouette match's with it and had no problem knocking over rams at 200 yards. This is one of my favorite hunting rounds with the RCBS bullet.  

Scott

I agree with you that the RCBS 35-200 is a good bullet !

I have killed deer with it and also played at silhouette with it ! Although this was not the normal 200 meter max game !

I was up at Ridgeway PA about 4 or 5 years ago at John Kort's Lever Guns Jubilee . And we shot the normal high power targets and ranges so the rams were at 500 meters . We did not shoot standing either , but shot sitting on the ground .

Anyway I used my old Marlin 336SC 35 REM for the 500 meter rams , and it was loaded with the RCBS 35-200 and a medium to mild charge . I wish I could say I knocked all 10 of them down , but that is just not the case . However all the ones I hit at 500 meters fell over .

Attached Files

Scott Merchant wrote: Jerry

Scott

I agree with you that the RCBS 35-200 is a good bullet !

I have killed deer with it and also played at silhouette with it ! Although this was not the normal 200 meter max game !

I was up at Ridgeway PA about 4 or 5 years ago at John Kort's Lever Guns Jubilee . And we shot the normal high power targets and ranges so the rams were at 500 meters . We did not shoot standing either , but shot sitting on the ground .

Anyway I used my old Marlin 336SC 35 REM for the 500 meter rams , and it was loaded with the RCBS 35-200 and a medium to mild charge . I wish I could say I knocked all 10 of them down , but that is just not the case . However all the ones I hit at 500 meters fell over .

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 March 2008

Hey Jerry;

My 336 in 35 Rem is a 1971 purchase promted by my Dad, he thought it was the answer for Florida hunting. The best it performed was with bullets sized to 357 rather than 358. Take the time to slug your barrel and the micro groove will work well with cast bullets. Micro grooves hold micro lead so be generous with lube and avoid metal brushing. Every bullet I have tried has been accurate, from a 95 gr for squirrels to a 250 gr for pigs. For our little Florida deer a 158 gr semi wad has never failed me with over 100 kills in 36 seasons. I'm confident your coyote situation will become a pleasant shooting memory with this Marlin. If you have any problems finding brass, let me know, I can help you out.

Roy

Attached Files

Hummer posted this 23 November 2008

I too fell into a Marlin in 35 Rem.  First off I tried to load Sierra 180s 357 bullets and found the throat to be too short in the Marlin so I bought a 358 throater and throated the barrel.  Now I can load pistol bullets to the published length for the 35 Rem with perfect feed reliability.

I plan on running some Lyan 358627 (222 gr) bullets in this rifle when time permits.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 November 2008

Buy a Ranch Dog TLC359-190-RF mold, it works really well in my 35 Rem.

Jerry

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 23 November 2008

Jerry, Sorry to say I have been buying bullets for the 35 Rem. My Marlin is a microgroove barrel 336 c vintage 1970 or so. I use copper plated hp round nose 158 grain for my 357, 38 special and 35 Rem. I have been loading 15.5 gr. of 2400 and have decent groups out to 100 yards with iron sights. 4 or 5 inch groups are the norm for me. I a have the “welders shake” and the peeps are not what they used to be (and that is with a front rest).

Good luck Bob

Attached Files

Bob,

The Ranch Dogs bullets are designed especially for the Marlins with the Micro Groove rifling. I bout my 336 in 35 Rem last year and it shoots really well with both factory bullets and RD CBs.

Plus I have been using a Lyman pistol bullet, 214gr SWC hard cast, GC's and sized to 358. Kills them Coyotes really well.

All of the Ranch Dog bullets are designed for the microgroove Marlin Lever guns

Jerry

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 23 November 2008

And the Proud Owner has a very good looking deer rifle! Hoorah for you! Ought to get you a lot of pleasure.

Attached Files

Alas. I am a resident of Ohio, where Shotguns are the modern weapon for deer hunting. I own property in West Virginia to go hunting on, but a gas drilling company is scaring off all the game. I'd rather have free gas than deer this season.

Back to the 336 in 35 Rem. I have two molds that work for this rifle. A Lyman RN two cavity #358315 35 Caliber 204 grain in weight and the Ranch Dog TLC359-190-RF, which is a RN 190grain weight, that generally is a tumble lube bullet. I took the Lyman mold and reamed it out to .359 and the Ranch Dog comes as a .359 mold, I run them through my Star Sizer with 50/50 lube. Both use GC's which in my case are Gator Checks. My alloy is generally WW plus, it just has a little extra Tin or I use Lyman #2 alloy. I don't push either of these fast enough to require Lino, maybe 1,600 fps

I also use a Lyman #358627, 214 Grain, Semi Wad Cutter, Lubed with my own lube, GC'd, I push this one up to 1,400 or so fps in my 336. This bullet does work very well, but it meant for the 357 Max cartridge that I shoot in T/C Super 14 Contender.

Since March, I have learn that the 35 Remington has just a few bullets that work well with it. The traditional 158 SWC does O.K. but you can only push it so fast due to the lack of a GC. The 35 Rem using many of the pistol bullets and jacketed bullets for me has only matched the performance of a 30/30 at lower speeds. But this is hard to define because I am either shooting 2 litre pop bottles full of water or I am shoot G' Hog or Coyotes.

Of course the next question is to roll crimp or taper crimp?

;}

Jerry

Attached Files

Close