Bunny Gun Nirvana

• 15K Views
  • Last Post 27 July 2011
Ed Harris posted this 29 February 2008

As luck would have it,  I accumulated quite a collection of .32 revolvers and automatic pistols in my search for "Bunny Gun Nirvana." Years ago I coveted a four-inch .32 Colt Police Positive Special in .32 NP which fellow NRA staff member Art Pence had.  His example was built in the 1950s.  It was a stout little gun which shot as accurately my much heavier ca. 1940 6-inch Officer's Model Match .32 NP, delivering inch groups at 25 yards off a Ransom rest with handloads it liked (#3118 cast of 1:20 and sized .314” with 2.8 grains of Unique).  Art's gun was a family heirloom and wasn't going anywhere. So for the next 25 years I was on the look out at gun and pawn shops for a Colt .32 NP D-frame. 

I never seemed to find one which wasn't a worn-out basket case, so I kept looking. In the meantime snapped up a nice S&W .32 Hand Ejector and two Model 31s which I kept, and tried several other small frame .32 revolvers, a 2-inch Colt Cobra and an H&R Defender which I didn't.  I never regretted doing so, for it added to my “Bunny Gun Experience.”  Those revolvers I decided to keep represent my favorite shooting  "toys," being fun to shoot, accurate and frugal of powder and lead!  What else could a country boy want?

About a year ago I found a ca. 1970s Colt Police Positive 4-inch in almost new condition - the D-frame Colt .32 of my dreams!  When I asked to see it the gunshop owner cautioned, “don't get too excited, it's only a .32” and let me have it for only  $300, about $100 less than it would have been if it had been a .38 Special. It shoots just like I remember.  Had I found the Colt first, I wouldn't have looked twice at the various S&Ws I've gotten in the meantime, but I have them now and don't regret it.

Chapter Two of my search for Bunny Gun Nirvana reprises the same plot in .32 automatics.  I was first introduced to the M1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless in 1974 by the late Harry Archer.  I was instantly impressed with its natural pointing, functioning and practical accuracy for what it was. I readily understood why people who have these don't get rid of them.  I looked for years, but never found one in the condition I wanted that was affordable at the time.   I didn't want a pristine collector piece, because I knew that I would put on larger sights (that I could see!) and an extended safety (similar to that of a modern M1911) because I really would carry it.  I didn't want to butcher a collectible piece to build my custom carry gun. I just wanted a representative Colt with good bore that functioned and shot well. Considering that Colt made over a half million of these, its strange that you seldom see one in a shop. They are all hiding in people's dresser drawers until the estates of their owners sell them off.

In the 1970s Harry and I tested almost every .32 ACP ever made, in trying to find which ones were the most accurate, reliable and were natural pointers for close range defensive shooting in the best Rex Applegate tradition.  We fired specimens borrowed from the NRA museum, the FBI and BATF labs as well as from several military collections.  There were no trick hollowpoint factory loads available then, so we shot various types of hot European hardball and handloads with cast bullets.

Of all the pocket guns Harry liked the Colt Pocket Model the best. On clandestine missions requiring a discreet gun, the Colt was his choice for those occasions when a more adequate firearm was not “mission feasible,"  meaning that he had to “blend in" with the locals and not stand out in a crowd.  The various Berettas M1934/35, M70, CZ27, Mauser M1910 and HSc, Browning M1910 and M1922 also “made the cut” in terms of reliability, but were mere substitutes for the Colt.  Acceptable, but not first choice. Neither he nor I cared at all for the finicky, hand-biting Walthers. 

So in the years while in search of my own Colt, in a reprise of my .32 revolver story,  I've acquired about half of the substitute .32 autos on Harry's “Good” list.  Then George Damron found a much-used, but serviceable Colt, which could be shipped to my dealer for transfer to me in Virginia.  If I had found this gun 25 years ago I would have no need for the others.  But, as the story repeats, I have them now and no regrets.  Astute observers will readily note that the photo group was shot with RWS FMJ Ball ammo.  There are sixteen rounds, the first two magazines of my first range session.  

Cast bullets will come later.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 29 February 2008

Can I have it back?

George<G>

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Here's second target after the “lucky whack” sight correction.

How about if I leave it to you in my will.  Hope you are patient. 8-) 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 February 2008

I actually run across those here and there.I hope I find another when i feel the “need” to own one.I just dont have acccess to cheap bulk .32 brass anymore,a hoarder from the east coast got it all from my buddy<G>

I am surpised they are not as commmon in your parts.The .380's seem to demand the top $ when i see them for sale.

George

Attached Files

linoww wrote: I actually run across those here and there.I hope I find another when i feel the “need” to own one.I just dont have acccess to cheap bulk .32 brass anymore,a hoarder from the east coast got it all from my buddy<G>I am surpised they are not as commmon in your parts.The .380's seem to demand the top $ when i see them for sale. Colt didn't make as many .380s, so they are more desired both from a collector and a CCW standpoint.  There are plenty of them here on the East Coast, but you have to be in the right place at the right time, for when comes up in an estate sale they never make it to the auction or to the consignment cabinet.  The boys who work in the gun shop always seem to get them.  Funny how that is...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 February 2008

Ed,

Another one that should be added to your list is the Remington Model 51. The one I had would out shoot any of the Colt's that I have owned. But it has the same problem for me, I hate to chase brass. It always seems to land under the sagebrush that has the rattlesnake guarding it!

Best wishes and joy on your find. You did a good thing Geo.!

Ric

Attached Files

JPSIII posted this 01 March 2008

Reflections: A great many years ago (ca. 1962) American Rifleman had a small sidebar story on “Round Ball Reloads for Handguns” -- a theme that Fouling Shot has touched on several times. My school roommate back then explored .32 ACP with No. 1 (?) shot, while I did .454 round balls, seated with thumb pressure in cases that were decapped/reprimed with extreme simplicity. (There were many uses for that Boy Scout knife in the dim era before Lee Loaders!)

Only very recently (after lots of reloading/casting in many calibers) have I gotten around to the .32 ACP again in soft loads for a Model 1910 Browning and a Model 1903 Colt.

I had good luck with the .310/.308 round balls in .32 ACP and also tried some 100 gr cast bullets I did up long ago for M1 Carbine. I used a .22 Short case as a dipper for Bullseye; the round balls would eject cases but not feed and are of course quite short overall. Cases were black at the mouth so perhaps they are asking for more powder (perhaps a .22 LR dipper). The 87 gr cast bullets seemed to function perfectly with a small sample of rounds, with less apparent recoil than a factory round. The Lyman 311245 was reputedly a training bullet for .30-40 Krag.

Do you notice a pronounced difference among .32 ACP rim diameters? Some fit quite loosely in my Lee auto-prime shellholder, and others are oversize! No actual problem, but you might end up with a handful of the oversize (for me) cases! --j

JPSIII

Attached Files

JPSIII posted this 02 March 2008

I've now fired 65 .32 acp reloads with the 2 gr BE scoop (.22 Short empty case) and the 87 grain cast bullet. Great practical accuracy (2” at 25-30 feet -- offhand) and perfect reliability. And I have witnesses! : )

JPSIII

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 March 2008

RicinYakima wrote: Another one that should be added to your list is the Remington Model 51. The one I had would out shoot any of the Colt's that I have owned. Agree, that one is my list if I find the opportunity!

Attached Files

bruce posted this 07 March 2008

I would put this in .32 popguns, but it got to long.

Today I bought a Harrington&Richardson .32 top-break with a six-shot cylinder for $85. It was in a box of .32s purchased from a likely deceased person and the local dealer let me browse the box.

Anyhow, it looks like it will fire .32 S&W Long, since the cylinder was substantially longer than the 5-shot top-breaks in the  box that I assume were .32 S&W.

The cylinder seems to lock up pretty snug and there are indeed some grooves in the barrel.

Any suggestions on firing this little baby? I assume that I  want to stay on the mild side with a top-break.

Bruce

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BruceM/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 March 2008

The top breaks are none too strong, but if factory loaded .32 S&W Long wadcutters chamber with no resistance, they should be fine. You can also handload the Speer or Hornady 98-gr. HBWCs flush seated with 1.5 to 1.7 grs. of Bullseye or 2 grs. of Unique.  As for loading the .32 Smith & Wesson (NOT the long, but the short one) in the topbreak revolver I would use the Speer or Hornady HBWC seated out to .90"  overall cartridge length with 1.5 grains of Bullseye.  You could use the same load with a soft, short-bodied, long-nosed 80-90 grain bullet such as the RCBS 32-98SWC seated out and crimped in the top lube groove.   

Attached Files

Saeco #325 semi-wadcutter feeds fine in the Colt. Group pictured was shot at 25 yards from sandbags. It is the best group of a series of five 8-shot groups which averaged 4 inches.   Load is Saeco 98-gr. #325 SWC cast of wheelweights, lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox and sized .312, loaded in RWS cases with Remington primer, 1.7 grs. Bullseye, Ctg. OAL 0.92” and taper crimped in Lee Factory Crimp die.  Velocity is est. about 750 fps. 

Attached Files

The CZ27 also likes Saeco #325. Averaged also about 4” at 25 yards for five consecutive 8-shot groups.  This one of the better ones, fliers and all.  

Attached Files

linoww posted this 10 March 2008

It looks like the bore cleaned up OK on the Colt.I am surprised it shoots lead that well.Bob has a line on another with a mint bore with the outside about the shape of the one you picked up recently.The price was $350 asking.I am getting closer to owning one the way I see you shoooting them.I had always thought them to be 5” guns at 25 at the best.

George

Attached Files

linoww wrote: ...on the Colt.I am surprised it shoots lead that well. Bob has a line on another with a mint bore...outside about the shape of the one you picked up...$350 asking.I am getting closer to owning one the way I see you shoooting them. I had always thought them to be 5” guns at 25 at the best. George,

You REALLY should jump on that one.   That's a good deal, especially since you won't have to pay FedEx to ship it cross country for you like I did. 8-)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 March 2008

JPSIII wrote: Do you notice a pronounced difference among .32 ACP rim diameters? Some fit quite loosely in my Lee auto-prime shellholder, and others are oversize!... I've just finished sizing, deburring, priming and sorting 14-1/2 POUNDS! of .32 ACP brass thanks to Bob and George.  Thats about 2600 or so, give or take... 

I'm about to start a .32 ACP reloading orgy.  I explained my accomplishment to my friend Nick Croyle in South Carolina, and he was non-plussed, remarking, “gee that sounds alot like what reloading in HELL must be like."  

I told him that it was only one step in my journey seeking true Bunny Gun Nirvana. Between a relaxing sip of adult beverage or two while listening to bluegrass music or old time radio reruns of Dragnet, Gunsmoke and Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar I was able to get in the proper mood. 

In going through that brass  I found only a handful which would NOT fit into the Lee No. 7 shellholder for .30 M1 carbine, the one I used.  What I did find interesting is that .32 ACP brass varies greatly in weight, depending upon who made it.  So powder charges have to be adjusted for sorted brass batches by headstamp IF I were to do full charge loads.  It's much easier to use the minimum charge of Bullseye which functions all of the guns (1.7 grains) using the 98-gr. Saeco #325 or the 94-gr. Meister flatnose and load them all the same.   That's what I intend to do, because I have enough bullets ready to load already.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 March 2008

What distnce are you shooting at?

Theese straight blowbach pistols  appear to shoot better than many 9mm.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 March 2008

Giorgio,

The targets pictured from these .32s were shot at 25 YARDS (22.86m). 

Under normal conditions I test pocket pistols or snubby revolvers at the "indoor gallery range” of 50 feet (15.2m). But when these started shooting so well (much better than I expected) I decided to test at the standard "service pistol” range.  

Very important is an elevated sandbag rest which places the pistol at eye level, when sitting at the bench, enabling the elbows to be supported and relaxed. 

Prescription shooting glasses which place the sights in sharp focus for 59 year old eyes are a great help.  For “most people” this is about -0.5 diopter less than your normal reading prescription.

On the older pistols I have my gunsmith machine the notch in the rear sight to a square shape to enable more daylight around the front sight for a clearer sight picture.  Adjusting trigger pulls for a clean “break” if also necessary.  

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 March 2008

Ed Harris wrote: I told him that it was only one step in my journey seeking true Bunny Gun Nirvana. Between a relaxing sip of adult beverage or two while listening to bluegrass music or old time radio reruns of Dragnet, Gunsmoke and Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar I was able to get in the proper mood.  Getting in the mood I think concerns Baroque period music. Like Beethoven's Double Violin Concerto or Schubert's quartet 'Der Tod und dos Madchen' or any of Joseph Hyden's string quartets. Of course the all time great, performed by Flatt and Scruggs, Foggy Mountain Breakdown is hard to beat also as well as bluegrass fiddle's , Vassar Clemens. Those will get ya hummin' though a 2 pound coffee can of fresh CBs ready to size and lube !..................Dan

Attached Files

bruce posted this 22 March 2008

I wrote a week or so back that I had purchased but not taken delivery on a H&R .32 S&W Long Auto Ejection revolver.

I was able to pick it up Monday and take it to the range today. I had only a box of S&B 98 grain full wad cutters to try it out with.

It pretty much hits what I aimed at. After I brought it home and started cleaning it, I realized that two of the six chambers don't lock up very tight.  It appears that those two teeth the hand indexed with are worn worse than the others. The e-gunparts website shows replacement cylinder assemblies for it at $38 but out of stock.

I took advantage of my newly emptied brass to do some handloading, including some bullets I had cast for my .32 ACP CZ83. With the cylinder out, I noticed that I could put a sized case into the cylinder from either end! So much for overly restrictive chambers. I wonder out loud if it would make any sense to use H&R mag brass with the s&w long powder loads and seat the bullets in like wadcutters to keep the bullet centered up in the chamber? Or maybe just keep this little pistol in the safe and keep an eye out for something a tad more robust for launching .32 projectiles.

I really like the revolver format. Top break is real nice for unloading the brass quickly into the palm of my hand. My CZ puts the brass in orbit. Scrounging around looking for brass isn't that much fun. Especially in the snow.

A S&W top break would be tighter and better, but from what I've read they were never made in .32 S&W long. Or is that incorrect? Also, the H&R is a full six shooter, rather than the more common five.

I guess if I want a real sturdy .32 revolver, I could always save up for the new Ruger .327, eh?

On my way home from the range I bought a box of .32 S&W so I could have some of that brass to play with. I'm kind of anxious to see how they shoot. Their lower power level is probably a better match to my old revolver anyway.

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 March 2008

Got a new NEI Mould #82 shortened to remove the GC heel and base band, leaving a slight heel to the midpoint of the bottom lube groove.  Resulting bullet weights 98 grains in soft backstop lead and shoots well, five 8-shot groups in the CZ27 averaged 4 inches at 25 yards.  

Attached Files

Here is a lineup of the cast bullets I'm using successfully in the .32 ACP.  From left to right, factory hardball, Saeco 98-gr. #325 SWC, shortened 98-gr. NEI #82 and Meister .312” 94-gr. LFN.   

Attached Files

Here is another successful bunny gun test, Beretta M70 “Puma” for which I now have an original spare magazine, thanks to Giorgio!

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 24 March 2008

Ed.

Quit braggin' up those Colts. It's gettin' to where I can't afford em now. 

I was shotin' my old Police Positive in 38 S+W over the weekend. It is a hoot to shoot. 

I don't shoot it much. It was made in 1919. I have others to shoot that  would be less of a problem to fix if they broke.

Don't breath the smoke and shoot straight

Flashman

Attached Files

strateshot posted this 03 April 2008

Ed Harris,

Today I visited my local gunshop here in Wickenburg, Arizona, and I found a Colt .32

cal Police Positive Revolver.  It looks very pristene to Me, and is in a condition which to me seems fired very little, if any, and is 4 inch bll..  The asking price on the tag

is 450$, but my experience with the dealser is that he will deal at least 10% to make a deal. 

Shop Is “THE GUN TRADER",  His name is Roger Fornoff.  I would not talk to any one else about this except him.   Ph/Fax (928) 684-2149

Best Regards, Strateshot, [email protected]

Attached Files

bb posted this 01 May 2008

Mr. Harris, I sure enjoy reading your articles/experiments.  Please keep them coming! This bunny gun stuff (and bunny rifle info) really caught my interest.  I was thinking maybe I should look for a .32 because it would be small, light, low recoil, low noise, etc. Then I thought I ought to take the obvious first step and download the various 38's that I already have.

I downloaded my 38 super witness match pistol until the cases would barely eject and they fell right at my feet.  I would guess this load was getting around 850fps with a 125gr cast bullet.  That was a real joy to shoot.  Unfortunately that gun just doesn't seem to like anything less than full power loads and accuracy was disappointing.  around 3-3.5” at 25 yards.

I will have to try some different loads for that gun or I may put a lighter recoil spring in my 38 super commander because that gun is wonderfully accurate.

These threads have given me a whole new area to explore -thank you.  And maybe I will get around to a .32 after all!  I have seen pictures of a long barreled version of the Berreta 70 (called a Mod. 100) and apparently Bernadelli made a similar gun.  That might be just the ticket for a .32acp target/bunny gun.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 26 January 2009

Ed,

Congratulations on a first class article on the 32 Magnum rifle in Fouling Shot No. 197. You describe the 32 H&R exactly as I see it, a small game cartridge. There is little need for the highest velocity loads. The 115-grain Lyman 311008 driven at 1,200 fps is capable doing just about anything the small game hunter requires. The Lyman 311008 bullet at 1,200 fps will bring the adult raccoon or porcupine out of a tree with one shot if you hit the critter in the heart-lung region, particularly when a shoulder is punched. Cast soft, the Lyman bullet penetrates deeply on a well muscled critter and yet seldom over penetrates ”€œ a serious consideration when shooting up into trees.

I shoot all of my cast bullets as-cast and hand-lubed in the 32 H&R Magnum. I tend to shoot more IMR 800X and Hodgdon Lil' Gun than I do Bullseye and 2400 but it is just a preference. When I started loading for the 327 Federal I instinctively started with Alliant Unique and 2400. While my preference is for the heavier Lyman bullet in the heavy frame handguns and rifles I use the RCBS 98-grain and the NEI 100-grain SWC bullets in the lighter revolvers. As this is a cast bullet forum I'll leave the jacketed bullets alone.

My wife and I have shot the Savage Model 23 in 32-20 for many years and we purchased the Marlin 1894 when it first appeared. Sadly the Marlin chamber is a bit hard on brass when loaded to high pressure levels but when loaded for small game hunting the rifle is quite accurate and exhibits good case life.

We also installed an XS receiver sight on our Marlin 1894 32 H&R Magnum but chose the Marbles copy of the Sourdough front sight. Our 24” TC carbine barrel is equipped with a Williams Guide receiver sight and a small gold bead front sight. The 24” TC barrel is a self opener when the lever is tripped, the weight of the barrel opening the action. Despite the 1” bull barrel this is a light walk-around rifle with good balance for off hand shooting. The 32 H&R Magnum Marlin 1894 with its octagon barrel is a heavy, yet well balanced rifle which promotes good offhand shooting.

General Vernon E. MeGee long promoted the 32 S&W Long as a small game rifle cartridge as did your friend Ellis Lenz. From the 1960's to the 1980's Dean Grennell, Dan Cotterman, George Nonte and Ken Waters were about the only writers promoting the “Super 32.” In the 1980's Ross Seyfried had Freedom arms barrel a Ruger No. 3 for the 32 H&R Magnum and his report stands alone as a most thoroughly researched and well written report on the capabilities of the 32 H&R Magnum rifle and heavy handgun combination. The shooting world yawned, there are simply not enough active small game hunters left to appreciate a cartridge which does not vaporize critters.

The new 327 Federal will come into its own for bobcat and coyotes, whether called or “catch as catch can.” The 327 Federal has the extra power required when the opportunities are not perfect and the shooting is quick.

Thanks for giving credit to Starline for quite literally saving the 32 H&R Magnum with the introduction of quality component brass.

My wife and I have enjoyed your “Tales from the Back Creek Diary” about 32 handguns, rifles and loads. These articles will stand alone for many years as the most useful information written on the care and feeding of the 32 handguns. The late G. O. Ashley remarked that riflemen read articles which vindicate their selection of cartridge, rifle and equipment. I am guilty in this instance but honestly believe if more shooters would try the 32 H&R Magnum, the little cartridge and the fine handguns chambered for would win them over.

Slim

Attached Files

32HR MAG posted this 08 March 2009

Wow The info in these post are sweet.It is great to find others with the same thoughts on the 32 cal.

Ed Harris ,I hear about the “FOULING SHOT"but don't know wher to find it.Is this a seperate website or am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks

Attached Files

32HR MAG posted this 08 March 2009

I have found the answer to my last post and will be joining the cast bullet assoc..I want/need that FOULING SHOT.

Attached Files

Mike Gordon posted this 18 April 2009

Just to keep this thread moving I thought I would add the results of a few experiments.

The first photo, my Browning Model 1900 in 32acp and one magazine full (seven rounds) of Lee TL314-90-SWC on top of 2 grains of older Hercules Bullseye and a Winchester small pistol primer. The cases were range pickup Remington peters. This was shot at 50 feet, handheld (not on sandbags).

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/MFGordon/100_1312.jpg%5B/IMG%5D>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/MFGordon/1001312.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/MFGordon/100_1312.jpg%5B/IMG%5D>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/MFGordon/1001312.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 April 2009

Cool on the top break. I never fooled with these, but http://www.gilbertrange.com>http://www.gilbertrange.com in Virginia (703)550-8005 has at least a half dozen of them in the shop which came in from an estate.  I'll get down there this week and see if they will let me take a picture to post.  They have both .38 S&Ws and .32 S&Ws, several H&Rs and Hopkins & Allens and a couple S&Ws, both long and short barrel versions, some best cannibalized for parts, others in decent shooting condition. Various prices from $75 up, about $120 for the nicest shootable H&Rs up to about $400 a collectible S&W Safety Hammerless. I have no interest in the shop other than being a satisfied Bunny Gun customer, having found several of my toys there over the years.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 April 2009

bb wrote: ....These threads have given me a whole new area to explore -thank you...I have seen pictures of a long ...Berreta 70 (called a Mod. 100) and apparently Bernadelli made a similar gun.  That might be just the ticket for a .32acp target/bunny gun. John Taylor is in the process of machining a 7-inch barrel to fit my Beretta M70 pistol, with clamping rail mount to take a red-dot sight.  Stay tuned... 

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 20 April 2009

A friend recently gave me a rough  S&W Hand Ejector in .32 S&W Long. I've got brass and bullets cast, just haven't been able to put them all togther and go shoot. Time to join in!

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

Mike Gordon posted this 20 April 2009

Here in New Jersey topbreak revolvers will languish on a gun dealers shelf without ever being bought regardless of the price. Few people seem willing to go through the process of obtaining a pistol purchase permit from their local police for something as impractical as an old Iver Johnson, or H&R or even an S&W topbreak. Most old topbreaks found in bureau draws in NJ will end up being handed in to local police and destroyed.  I found this topbreak on a dusty lower shelf of the shop of a gunsmith friend of mine (now retired and shop closed) about 20 years ago for $40. When I saw the price I ran over to my police HQ applied for the permit (only $2. Several weeks later, I was the happy owner of this gun. Not in the greatest shape, but these old Smiths are built like watches and shooting it even with whimpy round ball loads is pure fun.

Attached Files

Mike Gordon posted this 28 April 2011

While looking through my photobucket file for another thread I came across this picture of my new (to me) Colt Pocket Positive and a ten shot group fired offhand at 50 feet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 April 2011

On most older .32 revolvers I have found the forcing cones on the tight side. Grouping almost always improves when the forcing cone is carefully reamed to 11 degrees using the Brownell's kit.  Thanks for posting the “eye candy” nice Colt.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 28 April 2011

Ed, how did you find the CZ83 in 32acp to shoot?. Been looking around but one dealer I know keeps waving 44 special smith & wessons whenever I see him at the local shows. I do have a 32 walther and she shoots very well considering the tiny sights and my eyes. Hasn't bit me yet, and my buddy either. Thanks for the hard work regarding all the load data. Now have to scrounge up some brass and dies. Frank

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 July 2011

I don't have a CZ83, but have two CZ27s and love them, hell for strong and accurate.

Recently picked up a CZ52 in 7.62x25 and hope to play with hard-cast 88-gr. NEI #82 in that with about 5 grains of Bullseye or 10 grs. of #2400.

Anybody using cast in the CZ52?

Attached Files

gregg posted this 19 July 2011

What??? I see no 7.62 Nagant revolvers in this fray??? 5 of us in the famaily have ones but never seam to find the time to get after them... Seem to shoot better than one would think???

Attached Files

gregg posted this 19 July 2011

Ed Harris wrote: I don't have a CZ83, but have two CZ27s and love them, hell for strong and accurate.

Recently picked up a CZ52 in 7.62x25 and hope to play with hard-cast 88-gr. NEI #82 in that with about 5 grains of Bullseye or 10 grs. of #2400.

Anybody using cast in the CZ52?

Yes there again did not stay with it.. was useing  the lee 115 gr gc soup can ..Unique powder..I don't remember grains? but it was doing tighter groups as the powder was going up??? I started with light loads.??? Sorry best as i remember..:(

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 July 2011

Ed,

The only cast bullet loads I shot in mine were my 30 Mauser loads, RCBS 98 grain SWC over 5.5 grains of Accurate #5. This is only 1250 f/s from the CZ52, but it functioned perfectly if clean and well lubed on the rollers.

Ric

Attached Files

gregg posted this 21 July 2011

Ed Harris wrote: bb wrote: ....These threads have given me a whole new area to explore -thank you...I have seen pictures of a long ...Berreta 70 (called a Mod. 100) and apparently Bernadelli made a similar gun.  That might be just the ticket for a .32acp target/bunny gun. John Taylor is in the process of machining a 7-inch barrel to fit my Beretta M70 pistol, with clamping rail mount to take a red-dot sight.  Stay tuned... 

I cannot wait to see this one..

Have a Bernadelli pocket pistol 22 Nummm 32 to match be nice??

I love all bunny gun post.. What is it? Does it touch our heart of our inter child???

For Christmas last year I bought family each 2 boxs of loaded Nagant rounds. The idea was we could get these things running and have a family weekend bunny hunt next winter..With all the bad weather and things that have to be done we are not doing well.. Was hoping if I throw a Nagant worm on a hook out here I would get a bite.HA.//

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 July 2011

gregg wrote: Ed Harris wrote: John Taylor is in the process of machining a 7-inch barrel to fit my Beretta M70 pistol, with clamping rail mount to take a red-dot sight.  Stay tuned...  I cannot wait to see this one.. HA.// Its here: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4085&forum_id=48&highlight=gods+must+be+crazy>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4085&forumid=48&highlight=gods+must+be+crazy

Attached Files

Close