• Last Post 03 August 2017
gregg454 posted this 30 July 2017

I saw in the CBA-FOULING SHOT.. No. 248 "CHASING THE BUFFALO" Point was made about  now you can buy Repro Colt Parts That Is The Gun To Shoot.  This got me to wondering? I bought a ruff 1921 1903 that was in my price range. It look like the barrel would clean up. Guess what when I cleaned it well all the pits and holes in the barrel showed up once junk was cleaned out of them. Yup thought I was smart. WHAT I WHAT TO KNOW is where are you all finding parts? Think I saw barrels  for sale somewhere? From over seas I think? This thing don't shoot well with factory jacketed loads so kind lost interest. That 1903 Colt does need some small parts.Thanks.   

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 30 July 2017

Gregg, surprisingly bad pitted bores can be made to shoot cast bullets very well by using my polishing method that takes the sharp edges off of pitting in even really bad pitted bores. Then size your bullets to a slide in fit on chambering for your 1903. My polishing method in the Accurcy forum here:

https://castbulletassoc.org/thread/8364-my-bore-polish-method-to-shoot-better/

You will likely need about .312" bullet, but ink test dummy loads for a slide in fit on chambering, and when you get that your accuracy will soar with a polished bore. Be sure you check and repair any crown damage too.

Poor accuracy with jacketed bullets in a 1903 is a sure sign you will do better with cast bullets that fit and a polished bore.

My most accurate bullet in my 1903 is the Lee C312-185-1R. It is an inexpensive mold and size/checks to a slide fit for me. I hollow point these with the large HP tool from Forster using a drill press on loaded ammo and my H4895 load at 2025 fps consistently groups under 1" at 50 yards for a fine Deer load to 150 yards. If you get yours to fit and polish the bore, expect the same. My 1903A3 shoots this load considerably better than any factory or surplus ammo.

Get parts here, there is 32 pages of them:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=1903%20springfield

Gary

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 July 2017

Colt is selling new Model 1903 32 automatics. The subcontractor has spare parts, so follow the links from the Colt webpage. I would avoid used parts, as they are mostly worn out junk.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 31 July 2017

here is the link:      http://www.usarmcorp.com/parts/part-list

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 31 July 2017

The 1903 colt looks to me to have been hand fitted ??. I need new slide release if memory servers.? I bought one used and it look like hell and as it should had been fitted to another colt so no meat to fit mind.? Yakima Thank You..

Gary I'm going to check out your link.. Just may be the thing for the Colt. I have a M-95 that for sure may be the thing. Ordered 5 M-95s year or 3  before they ran out. Was not a good bore in the lot. They shoot ok. couple of rifles killed deer with hornady  ammo.  I bought them for Christmas for the kids.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 01 August 2017

I have a 1903 with a decent bore, I will say it shoots cast bullets quite well.   The sights are pretty fine and I could see them better when I was younger, but, whatever, concentrate on the front sight and get hits on beer cans out to say 30 yards. 

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 02 August 2017

That bunny danger zone accurate..  

I have to dig the colt out see if I can polish the bore or if its worth trying find new barrel.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 August 2017

My M1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless was made in 1914 and does not have a perfect bore.  I cleaned it well with JB and Kroil, and shoot only lead bullets in it now.  It did shoot FMJ fine when I got it, but once I got old the old copper fouling and carbon out I treated it like a cast bullet military rifle and have married it to .312 bullets cast of wheelweights, generously lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.  Cast loads do better than the RWS FMJ shown below, imagine the core group without the random flier, about 3 inches for an 8-shot magazine dump at 25 yards off sandbags.  Accurate 31-087T with 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400 is its best load, but 31-077B with 5.6 of #2400 is also very good, as is 31-090B with 3 grains of AutoComp.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close