what bullet use for ar15

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 11 July 2009
lordgroom posted this 11 February 2008

Curious what casting die, shape, and weight bullet people use for an AR15 in .223. I don't hav an AR15 Yet but plan to buy one in the near future and I would like to cast bullets for it if possible.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
devin1955 posted this 12 February 2008

I'm interested in this too, and opinions as to whether or not it's even a good idea. Sure would make shoot'n it cheaper! -Don

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 March 2008

I would use the Lyman 225646 (55gr) mold or the RCBS 22-060-FN (60gr) mold for the 223 round and cast it with Linotype. Get a ready high speed rated lube, and gas check the bullet.

Check for fouling in weapon often, and clean very throughly. Check the gas tube every time you clean the rifle.

Jerry

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 16 March 2008

Sounds like good advice. Also sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.  :(  Especially with all the extra effort just to prepare the bullets. I usually buy my .223 bullets in bulk when they're on sale. Starting to think that for the AR, that's the best way to go. -Don

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 March 2008

Don,

I generally shoot the Sierra 69gr Match King bullets in my AR, it a last manufacture before the Klinton Ban, it's a Colt AR 15 HBAR NM, these bullets really shoots great for me out to 300 meters. For under a 100 Meters I use the 53 gr Match King, that only when I am at the range, I use the 69gr bullet for my varmit hunter here on the farm.

The Match Kings may cost more, but I get good accuracy, and no problems.

Jerry

Attached Files

klw posted this 18 March 2008

I thought that gas operated guns, like the AR-15, would get plugged up by cast bullets and the corresponding bullet lub.  Isn't that true?

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 March 2008

Yes it is true, it will get fouled up lots of stuff. The reason is the operating system directly used the gas from the barrel to operate the mechanism, unlike the M1 Garand or the M14 which has a piston that does the actuation.

I do know a few people shoot cast bullet in an AR and have a lot of cleaning to do after shooting CBs. I only shoot CBs in the 223 Contender Carbine and then my 22 Hornet pistol, and my 221 Fireball.

Jerry

Attached Files

PETE posted this 22 March 2008

My 2 cents worth on this would be to go ahead and shoot your AR with cast bullets. I've shot several thousand in mine with no problems.

I'll qualify the following by saying that the gun I did this in was one of those made before the bayonet stud ban and had a 1-10” twist I believe. My current DPMS AR has a 1-8” twist and I haven't shot cast in it yet. One of those someday projects.

When I started I heard all the rumors mentioned on here so bought a new gas tube...... just in case. It's still in the plastic baggie I bought it in.

I also heard a rumor that you could shoot a coupla jacketed rounds thru the gun when you were finished shooting for the day and this would clear the gas tube out. It sounds like a reasonable idea since you all know how cruddy the bolt gets after a shooting session. Even with jacketed bullets. At least that's so with the loads I use for Hi-Power.

My goal at the time, was to get a 100 yd. accuracy load. I wasn't worried about the action cycling fully, and it didn't when I found “the” load. So if you're looking for a load that will cycle the action YMMV from my experience.

My bolt would cycle about 3/4ths the way back with my accuracy load. I always wanted to shoot it till the gas tube got plugged up enuf  so it would have a noticeably shorter stroke so I could try the “full house” jacketed idea out.  After all the firing I did that never happened.  When they were gonna ban guns with the bayonet stud on a guy wanted it more than I did, for more than I paid for it, so sold it and bought my current AR.

If there's any interest I'll see if I can find the load I used.

PETE

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 23 March 2008

Pete, THanks a lot for the reply.  I am very interested in the load you used.  I will only be firing 100 yd target loads.  Until your post, I was about to giv up on firing cast from the AR.  Any info you can find would be a great help.  Powder, charge, primer, and which bullet/ mold.  Thanks in advance.

Scott

Attached Files

PETE posted this 23 March 2008

Scott,

Man! Took a while to dig the info out. Would you believe that my records show the last time I shot that AR was 10-26-90. Here's what I've got.

Bullet - Lyman 225415 GC Alloy - Lino Wgt. - 57 grs. GC & lubed Sized - .225" Powder - IMR 4198 Wgt. - 17.2 grs. Lube - Javelina (NRA Formula) Primer - Rem. SR Cases - Rem. MV - N/A

Not sure how I ended up with this powder as it's not listed in any of the loading manuals.

Accuracy with the issue sights wasn't to bad. 5, 5 shot groups averaged 1 1/4” at 100 yds. with one group at 13/16".

Should have done more work with this round as .2 gr. either way and the groups really opened up.

Some other powders I tried that weren't as good as the above were Blue Dot, SR 4756, Unique, H322, WW748, & BL-C2.

PETE

Attached Files

captain-03 posted this 11 July 2009

Pete -- thanks for the load info .... I have this mould and powder sitting around on the bench .. gonna give it a try as soon as I can get to it!!

Attached Files

Close