Stick-on Wheel Weights

• 22K Views
  • Last Post 17 May 2019
Tic-Tac posted this 14 January 2008

I just received a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights and a substantial percentage of the weights are the stick-on type.  Do I have to remove all or a majority of the sticky foam, or will it burn off in the molten lead without contaminating my mix?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 15 January 2008

Save your tin and blend the linotype. Try only about 1 pound of linotype to 5 pounds of soft unknown scrap as a start.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 23 January 2008

Giorgio,

You may try lowering the temperature and skimming off the zinc, but this probably will not remove it all.  If it doesn't cast better after skimming and fluxing it would probably be better to discard the contaminated alloy.  Then clean your pot very well, by sandblasting if possible, and start over with uncontaminated alloy.

Indoor range scrap here contains about 3% Sb and traces of As in the melt which heat treats well, similar to wheelweights. The indoor range I use durting the day is also used by police and military, so most scrap is from lead core 9mm NATO and .40 S&W handgun ammunition.  Police fire 12-ga. riot shotguns with slug, birdshot and buckshot ammunition. Birdshot used for training and gun functioning tests contains a traces (about 0.01%) arsenic in the alloy which increases surface tension of the lead so that it forms properly in the shot making machine. It takes very little to enhance the properties of the lead heat treatment.

Be sure to save the copper and gilding metal jacket material skimmed off the melt from recovering the lead range scrap. I save this, agitate it across a 1/4-inch wire mesh to remove much of the dirt, and then remove the clad-steel jackets with a magnet. The remainder I sell to a scrap dealer or trade for soft sheet lead or linotype metal.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Goatwhiskers posted this 15 June 2013

The way I sort is a PITA but quite effective. I bite every one of them with electrician's side cutters, lead is soft, zinc is hard, you can hardly put a cut mark on them. Takes a little time but when you're retired it doesn't matter much. Goatwhiskers

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • harleyrock
Eddie2002 posted this 16 June 2013

I'm with Goat on this one, I test all my wheel weights with a pair of dyke wire cutters. Soft lead cuts real easy, WW lead leaves a good gash but is harder to cut while zink weights won't cut at all, it leaves just a little nick in the surface. With steel weights all that happens is that you chip the paint. I've even come across some plastic coated steel and zink weights which is the last thing you would want to try to melt down in a pot. Can't just dump them all in the smelter and hope for the best, need to sort them before smelting them down.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • harleyrock
onondaga posted this 19 June 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7581>apbluebass

Zinc doesn't cause wrinkles, insufficiently warmed molds from casting slow or way too low of a pot temperature or flow rate into a relatively cold mold causes wrinkles.

You can bring the temp up, flux  and cast wrinkle free with Zinc in your alloy,  but Zinc will cause poor fill-out at sharp edges, “cold short” filling of the mold with large sharp edged  voids and a pocked porous surface resembling a dull coarse bead blasted or sand blasted  surface. These symptoms will go from mild to severe depending on how much Zinc is in your alloy.  Remember this description of Zinc contaminated bullet alloy castings for a good diagnosis of the problem when you see it..

1/4 of 1% Zinc in a bullet alloy will begin the problems of poor fill out. Zinc contaminated alloy is best scrapped because adding clean lead to reduce the percentage of zinc below 1/4 of 1% is virtually futile if you have Zinc causing nasty looking bullets.

Gary, ( retired casting analyst )

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
onondaga posted this 19 June 2013

Pot cleaning is definitely dangerous. use extreme ventilation and a really good filter mask. abrading lead puts tiny  particulates in the air for you to breath in. That is the worst possible kind of toxic exposure to lead and serious non-reversible brain damage is a real threat with high level exposure from breathing airborne lead.

I clean my pot by heating up to top temp, then with good heat protection from burns I pour out what will pour out and prop the hot pot upside down safely so I can wire brush the inside by hand while wearing my coal miners dust mask with a fresh filter and welders gloves.

After the pot cools wipe out with oil dampened rags to pick up metal/flux dust. don't blow it out with pressured air.  if you have crusty burned on petroleum flux residue still remaining, rotary wire brush with a hand drill and oil rag clean again.

If your pot is a bottom pour like the Lee 4-20 make sure the moving parts of the valve assembly move freely while the pot is hot and empty so after cleaning the pot, you can dissemble the valve parts to refresh their surfaces. re-lube the valve parts with automotive clear silicone dielectric grease  or hi temp synthetic grease.....no petroleum that will gunk it up again with heat. lightly silicone grease or pure synthetic 2 stroke oil  the whole pot inside and out.

When done with the job, thoroughly cleanse or discard your clothes and  wash your whole body as soon as possible, you have had serious lead exposure that should be washed off. Do not neglect this washing.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
onondaga posted this 22 January 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8712>shootzem222

Temperature control would have saved you the grief if you were melting wheel weights. The common error is to set the dial on the pot at MAXIMUM and just melt wheel weights to clean and flux for making ingots . Most pots will go 800+ degrees and melt Zinc into alloy with wheel weights. There is no practical way to get Zinc out after it is alloyed with lead.  Only 1/2 of 1% Zinc in a bullet alloy is enough to ruin fill out characteristics of a bullet alloy.

I have had to throw out Zinc contaminated ingots given to me by a friend that melted wheel weights at 800 F.  The alloy made bullets with a coarse porosity and poor fill-out no matter what temperature or cadence spreed I cast the metal, it was junk and I tossed most of 50 pounds of it.

I did successfully cast some reasonable quality looking “O” buckshot for Coyote loads with some of the Zinc contaminated ingots he gave me, but good fitting bullets cast with a Zinc contaminated alloy is pretty hopeless if you are wanting bullets that shoot well..

The “Cottage Cheese” on top of a melt does not always mean that the alloy is contaminated with Zinc. You can get the same appearance with a melt of common 2% Antimonial lead or clean Wheel Weight alloy with zero Zinc in it also. An insufficiently hot pot temp will cause slush on the top of a melt. Use a thermometer. 725 F. accurately measured  will be hot enough to melt away the “Cottage Cheese ” look when there is no Zinc in an alloy.    800+ F will melt the “Cottage Cheese” look from an alloy that is contaminated with Zinc and allow you to cast ugly poor quality bullets or marginally usable buckshot.

If you cast 100 lbs of bullets a year like I do or if you just want to be sure you have no Zinc in your bullets, get and use a good casting thermometer or outboard PID temperature controller for your pot. Know the melting temperature of Zinc and work around it so you can harmlessly pick off and toss away Zinc wheel weights before they melt into, alloy and ruin your bullet alloy... Bring your pot temperature up to 725 F. with control and don't just turn the dial all the way up to melt any scrap.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 14 January 2008

It will burn off OK, but I would be careful to stay well below the 810 degree melting point of zinc die casting alloy in case some of them are...

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 14 January 2008

Just remember that the stick on lead weights are almost pure lead and do not contain the usual goodies we casters like eg: Sb, Sn.

A real worry is Zn is becoming a great part of my wheel weight scrounging lately.  On Saturday I picked up about 40lb and bu volume they would have been 50% clip on lead, 25% stick on lead, 25% Zn. 

Takes a bit of sorting but well worth the effort.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Tic-Tac posted this 14 January 2008

Thanks, will watch the temps.  I did notice that some of the material floating in the molten lead along with the clips were wheel weights that did not melt.  I now presume those are the zinc weights to which you refer.  I skimmed them off with the clips, and now inspect my weights more closely to ensure they are lead before throwing them in the pot.

And....given the input that the stick-ons don't contain the “goodies” we casters like, I will test the hardness of those ingots before casting and add to it if the reading is too soft.  The only thing I have to add at the moment however is linotype and tin.

Steve

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 23 January 2008

Dear Ed,I have a bucket of wheel weights contaminated by zinc.

The surface of the molten alloy is covered by an indigo blue layer and the alloy is slowly flowing from the bottom pour spout,not filling the moulds precisely.Shall I lower the temperature and skim the surface of the melt to get rid of the zinc?

The next time I'll sort the WW before melting them.

I have a source of range backstop lead,most jacketed pistol bullets and hard cast commercial bullets, that should not contain contaminations.

Is range scrap susceptible to heat treating or shall I use carefully sorted WW?

I am sending to you some pictures of my boar hunting season by cartaceous mail.

Regards,Giorgio.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 25 January 2008

Dear Ed,I was wondering why ,in your stories you passed from WW to range scrap .

That's why,while old WW were OK, newer acquisition are contaminated by zamac.

I have followed your advice and have cast good bullets yesterday.

Regards,

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 January 2008

Giorgio,

I am delighted to see that your diagnostic skills and logic have not diminished in your retirement 8-)

I'm glad that my advise was helpful and that newly cast bullets are better.

Attached Files

chiefs50 posted this 31 January 2008

The pure lead stick on weights are prized like gold by those who cast round ball for muzzle loaders.  Most would willingly trade clip on type lead for the stick on type.

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 12 February 2008

chiefs50 wrote: The pure lead stick on weights are prized like gold by those who cast round ball for muzzle loaders.  Most would willingly trade clip on type lead for the stick on type. I've accumulated most of a 5 gallon paint pail full of stick on wheel weights. Was going to melt them down into ingots, tagged as such, but your comment made me wonder. Eventually I'd want to sell or trade this stuff. Would it be better for me to leave it as is so whoever gets it is assured that it is indeed pure lead? -Don

Attached Files

chiefs50 posted this 12 February 2008

Don;

I guess I would just leave them as is.  That way when you go to trade/sell them you don't have to make any warranties - just market them for what they are, stick ons.   Roundball shooters/casters are always on the lookout for these.

Mike

Attached Files

Retro Fit posted this 11 June 2009

What I've been doing to clean my clip-on wheel weights before I melt them is soak them in Castroil Super clean de-greaser over night. Simple green with a little lye mixed in works well to. I've noticed that the Super clean will also take the stick-on stuff off the stick-on weights as well, just rinse them real good and make sure their bone dry before you melt them.

Attached Files

apbluebass posted this 13 June 2013

When I am looking at a wheel weight, how can I tell if it is zinc? I just got a load of blue goo in my pot last weekend and I am not looking forward to doing that again.

Attached Files

Carbine Dave posted this 15 June 2013

Zinc w.w. will be marked(sometimes), “zn". But the best test is to wack them lightly,I use a steel work bench,3/8” thick, or wack them with a 4” screwdriver, they will ring, while lead alloy will not, also they are a lot harder than lead alloy, and will not scratch as deeply or as easy as lead. And as a final observation, they are larger than lead for a given weight, hope this helps out.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 June 2013

Are you smelting wheel weights in your casting pot? If possible try doing the smelting in a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove. Keep the heat down to just barely melting, the zincs will be obvious and float. Skim 'em off and make ingots. If you haven't seen it already the smelting can be very smoky maybe be a little discreet about when and where you smelt.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close