What is your recipe for bullet lube?

• 17K Views
  • Last Post 10 July 2013
CB posted this 31 December 2007

We have lots of folks who seem to make their own lubes. So how about some recipes for pistol, rifle and what ever your lube is used for.

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Glenn R. Latham posted this 31 December 2007

miestro_jerry wrote: We have lots of folks who seem to make their own lubes. So how about some recipes for pistol, rifle and what ever your lube is used for.

Jerry

Jerry,

For heavy loads you can't beat LBT Blue.  For target loads that like a soft lube, I make beeswax/ATF lube, 3-4 parts beeswax to 1 part Auto. Trans. Fluid.  Make any percentage change of the constituents you want to get the consistency you want.

Glenn :fire

Attached Files

utk posted this 03 January 2008

1): “NRA 50/50" 50 % Beeswax 50 % Alox 350 (Originally Alox 2138F, now discontinued) 

2)Claimed to be the old SAECO lube: 2 lbs Beeswax 2 lbs Paraffin 1 lb STP Oil Treatment All parts by volume

3) Old NRA lube formula: 1 part Beeswax 1 part Paraffin 1 part Vaseline

4): 75 % Beeswax 25 % Vaseline (Add more for a softer lube)

Attached Files

redgum posted this 08 January 2008

1 block (3"x3"x1") bees wax 1 tablespoon lanolin 2 tablespoons Lee Liquid Alox 2 oz Copha (solidified coconut oil)

• parrafin as a stiffener if needed

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 January 2008

As that I am planning on casting for at least 2 weeks solid this spring, I currently have

24 pounds Beeswax 2 pounds Alox 5 pounds paraffin 3 bottles of STP 2 pounds Carnuba Wax 1 pound of Vaseline 1 tube of Synthetic Grease 1 or 2 bottle of ATF (Type 4)

Plus wax coloring, Steric acid(thickener) and a lots of small quantities of other stuff.

I plan on casting about 200 to 250 pounds of bullets. Then size/lube them. Every 5 or 6 years I spend 6 hours or more a day casting and sizing until I have a consistent supply of bullets, either loaded or put away, that will last me for a while.

The source of lubes that I used in the past has retired, so I will make my own this time around. What I have left I may sell or give to my local gun clubs.

Jerry

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 January 2008

Anyone out there using Slick 50 grease or DSF 5000 grease to make up bullet lube?

I like the DSF 5000, it has a high temp range, about 1500 degrees F. The Slick 50 is easier to get and has some kind of fame behind it.

This is my search for the holly grail of Bulley Lube recipes. I know that there is no one that works best for all type of bullets.

Jerry

Attached Files

Pbhead posted this 24 April 2008

there is no one that works best for all type of bullets.

Nope,  but its fun to mix stuff up aint it?  :D    I'm Larry,  and I “AM"  a lube-ahaulic.  If its slimy, sticky, or greasy,  I've shot it in some form or another.  Lately I've been messing with bpcr and have come up with a couple of what seems to be good lubes for bpc loads.  50% beeswax, 30%Mutton tallow, and 20%anhydrous lanolin   or a slightly different version consisting of :   50% beeswax, 20% mutton tallow, 15% lanolin, and 15% jojoba oil. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 April 2008

larry,

I have 4 different lubes that I mix up, five if you included my Maxi Ball lube. Welcome to the Best Place to get Cast Bullet information and some good friendships.

;}

Welcome to the group,

Jerry

Attached Files

Pbhead posted this 25 April 2008

thanks Jerry,  I've always enjoyed hearing about what other shooters are doing with cast bullets and there's so many different variables its good to have a forum like this.  Interesting reading and plenty of ideas.  :cool:

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 April 2008

Oatey brand( Prod#31190) wax toilet seal ring (new), two teaspoons of Ballistol Sportsman Lubricant,1/2 stick of Gulfwax brand canning wax  and ½ Crayola crayon for color.I mix it all up in a double boiler on the campstoves on low and slow.Its a bit soft so the only thing I change is to add more paraffin in the summer months to stiffen it up.Good up to 2500 in  22 caliber rifles.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 10 July 2013

My 4 favorite lubes:

"Satans Mix” (my version of the old NRA formula) Melt the vaseline and add the ivory soap flakes into it til fully dissolved, then add the paraffin, remove from heat and then add the beeswax last.

6oz vaseline 6oz paraffin 6oz beeswax

1 oz dried ivory flakes (foodprocessor)

MML ( Mike's Micro Lithi) (this lube is used on all J-word speed-High Velocity “pistol” and Rifle loads)  It is my favorite lube of all time and works great in the cold without big 1st shot fliers)

3 lbs Beeswax 1-14oz tube of cheap MAG1 multipurpose lithium grease (Wal of china mart) 1/2 lb of microwax # 430 (blendedwaxes.com) 1 lb of canning/candle parraffin (craft or grocery store) 1 block of Yaley solid candle dye (craft store candle aisle)

Old County Legs Lube #301 (Patched Roundball Lube used with REAL BP)

BY volumetric measurment: 50% rendered deer tallow 50% LouAna brand coconut oil I added 1 Fl. Oz natural orange oil to a 1/2 lb batch to make it domestic friendly (I.E. I can make it in the house with out offending SWMBO) and it actually helped make it clean up after itself as you shoot as an added side benefit.

Makes a dandy PRB lube  Very similar in handling/use to Young Country Arms Lube 103 without all the soapy/cetyl alcohol smell of the youngs. I would not call it a direct copy by any means but it acts like the youngs in use.

Maxi-hunter, R.E.A.L  and other conicals lube used with real blackpowder

50% DeerTallow and 50% Soft microwax #430

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 July 2013

45:45:10 tumble lube  for everything. You can make it your self or buy it for $15/quart.

Gary

Attached Files

PETE posted this 10 July 2013

Utk,

I'm sure this is a mistake, but, 1 lb. of STP? One table or teaspoon ought to be plenty.

I use the NRA formula for all smokeless loads and Emmett's for black.

Pete

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 10 July 2013

I use beeswax with enough Vaseline to soften it for use in a Lymam machine.

Attached Files

utk posted this 10 July 2013

PETE wrote: Utk,

I'm sure this is a mistake, but, 1 lb. of STP? One table or teaspoon ought to be plenty.

I use the NRA formula for all smokeless loads and Emmett's for black.

Pete

Well,that's the recipe I found:

Claimed to be the old SAECO lube:

2 lbs Beeswax 2 lbs Paraffin 1 lb STP Oil Treatment All parts by volume The STP part is only 20 percent, so I don't find it unreasonable - both beeswax and paraffin are quite hard.

I have actually made this lube and it is similar in hardness compared to other lubes intended for lubesizers.

But, the melting temperature is quite low so I don't use it. This heat sensitivity was also hinted about from my source.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 10 July 2013

UTK,

OK. Whatever. Will have to ask Barry Darr if that's right since he's probably the one who developed that formula when he worked for SAECO.

Pete

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 10 July 2013

I too use the 45/45/10 as well a lee liquid earwax+ motor mica dusting on soft lead plinker type loads, but I have found it lacking (accuracy wise) for loads that are going 2400-3K FPS plus in my rifles.

That is what is so great about this hobby I suppose, everyone finds a use for something different. I sought a lube that would not have issues with first shot fliers or have issues in the 0-95 degree heat range. So far only MML, MML+5% ivory, and LBT soft blue have provided me that.

Attached Files

Close