Wanted, Light Target Load data for 44 special

• 7K Views
  • Last Post 14 March 2008
ConRich posted this 30 December 2007

I would like to use my S&W Model 29, 44 Mag at my club's 50' indoor range. The rules prohibit the use of jacketed bullets or magnum cases. I have been told that I can use this gun if I load lead bullets in 44 Special brass.

The gun has the 8 - 3/8” barrel and I have a mold for the 245gr Kieth SWC bullet. I am looking for an accurate powder puff target load . Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rich

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 30 December 2007

I like this light target load for my S&W 624. Alloy is 1/2 and 1/2 WW's and soft scrap in the Lyman 429421 sized 0.431 with any soft lube. Powder is 5.0 grains of Bullseye and the bullet is seated deep and very lightly crimped over the front shoulder. (If you want to try tumble lubing, this is one to work with unsized bullets.) HTH, Ric

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 December 2007

Hey Rich; Here is my cheepie. The Lyman 210gr semi wad on 4.9gr of Red dot crimped moderatly. It is very accurate when care is taken to stack powder each shot. This load chronos at 800fps through my brothers S&W M29 combat classic. He shoots this load at +/- 50yds with great success. I bet there are a bunch more pet loads come in so I also will watch this topic. Roy

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 January 2008

In my ca. 1915 S&W .44 Hand Ejector I use the Saeco #441 (similar to #429421) cast 1:30 with 4.8 grains of Bullseye for about 700 fps from a 5 inch barrel.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 26 January 2008

I missed this post until today.  I have been working with a model 624 also.  My standard load is 6.5 of unique which is probably a bit stout for your needs.  I tried 4.5 of Bullseye yesterday and got quite large velocity variations - almost 80 fps.  Today I am upping my Bullseye loads to 4.7 gr.  I hope to get more consistency at that level.  I am also trying two more powders I had on hand - green dot and AA#5.  These may not work well but I will report back if anything is promising.

I has been below 0 degrees here lately.  That is not helping the loads or my shooting I expect.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 26 January 2008

As I promised the results of todays tests

25 yards ,  240 BBSWC , 16 dgrees ,  average of 2  6 shot groups,

6.5 gr unique        2.1"

6.0 gr green dot   1.8"

4.7 gr bullseye    2.6"

6.4 gr AA #5      2.5"

I think AA#5 would perform better with a heavier load.  The bullseye groups might have been the most subject to shooter error. I am not a good shot with a handgun.  The greendot loads have a significantly louder report and the most recoil.  I did not have my chronograph along.  The unique load scattered unburned powder on the snow. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 January 2008

The bullet I use in my .44 Spl.. loads, Saeco #441 weighs about 270 grs. in soft backstop scrap about 10 BHN. Bullseye burns more uniformly in the .44 Spl. when pushing a heavier bullet. My 4.8 grain charge gives very uniform velocities with the 270-gr. bullet, but I have to go to 5 grs. with a 240 grain.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 28 January 2008

Ed

Thanks for the feedback.  I was moving toward 5 gr but I have more confidence after your message.

Jim

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 14 March 2008

I just caught this post late but it's good timing for me as I spent the day yesterday with my 6-inch S&W 2nd HE 44 Special shooting a resurected H&G, 205 grain full wadcutter sized to .430 inches. I used 6.4 grains of Unique because I have a lot of it and a Winchester Lg PP. Off hand accuracy at 18 yards I was 3” for 5 shots. ~Andy

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 14 March 2008

Another possible powder for this load, which I don't see mentioned here is 700X. I use 5gr of it with a 240gr cast bullet in my .44mag. Ought to work find as well in .44 special. WW231 is also another possibility. -Don

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 14 March 2008

5.0 clays or 6.0 titegroup or 5.5 231,

will work well with that 240 on down.

Attached Files

Close