Best Bullet for 50' Indoor Competition ?

• 8K Views
  • Last Post 12 June 2012
ConRich posted this 28 December 2007

I would like to participate in the 50' indoor pistol matches that my club runs during the winter months. The problem is that I have been reloading with jacketed bullets for many years but have very little experience with cast lead bullets. We can not use jacketed bullets at our indoor range.

I will be shooting a S&W Model 15, .38 Special with a 4” barrel.

My questions are, what type and weight bullet should I choose for this type of competition ?

If I buy a mold to cast my own, what are the pro's and con's of the “Tumble Lube” vs the “Size & Lube” type of bullets ?

TIA,

Rich

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 28 December 2007

Hi Rich For what you are shooting I would go with a wadcutter 148 to 158 gr. Run with a charge of bullseye of 1.9gr and you should be in the ball park. Nice load, mild recoil.

Myself personally, I prefer a size and lubed bullet.

It is my opinion that tumble lubed bullets are messy to deal with. JMHO If you go this route you will possibly need to get a Lee push through sizing die also.

Have you measured the cylinder throats on your revolver to see what diameter bullet you will need to use?

You may find that Lee doesn't offer a standard tuble lube mould in the size you will need.

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 29 December 2007

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply to my questions. I do have a RCBS Lube-A-Matic so all I would need is the propper sizer and top punch for the bullet that I choose to go with.

You mentioned “Cylinder Throat Size", is that the measurment that is used to determine the bullet size? I always thought that it was the bore groove diameter that determined bullet diameter. As I said, my knowledge of cast bullet reloading is limited.

So, after I measure the cylinders, I'm sure that they won't all be the same, should I use the largest or smallest, or an average for my “Cylinder Throat” measurment ? Then how much larger than that should the sized bullet be?

Thanks again for your help,

Rich

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 December 2007

IMHO, there are two ways to do this:

Cast any wadcutter from any lead alloy, hardness isn't important. Lube with a .358 sizer and only fill the bottom lube groove with NRA formula lube. Seat the bullet at least below the case mouth. Don't crimp, just flatten out the belling. Load with 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

Do the same thing, but use Remington 148 HB wadcutters.

I shot NRA 50 foot gallery bullseye for about 10 years in the 1970's. Your Mod.15 will hold the X-ring with no problem. Brass condition is much more important than anything else, same lot, no cracks, same length, etc. This is a game about shooting skills, not gun accuracy, as any high quality revolver with hold the X-ring at 50'.

Ric

Attached Files

Thanks Ric, I'll pick up some 148gr wad cutters and see what I can do with them. I have been using some 158gr cast round noze with 3grs to 3.5grs of Bullseye but can't get them to group well. They are all in the black, but not grouping as tight as I would like. BTW, I do my testing from a bag on a bench to eliminate the human error part of the equation

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 December 2007

Well I have been taught that you measure the size if the cylinder throat for a couple of reasons.

1) to ensure you have consistency in the diameter of the throats which will affect accuracy

2) to ensure you are using the correct diameter bullet to achieve the best accuracy

You can also find out if you have a mis-machined cylinder, which would be a detriment to accuracy.

I have a Ruger BH in 30 carb that has cylinder throats of .313, but the bore is .308. I could not get any decent accuracy until I started using a 32-20 bullet sized to .312. Now I treat it like a 32 mag, and it seems to like that.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 December 2007

Rich,

Jeff is correct in that you want the bullets to be as large as the cylinder throats. Avoid cast commercial wad-cutters if you can. They are too small, too hard and the lube is wrong for light loads. On the phone this morning I was talking to one of the old guys I shot Bullseye with. He said that both the Speer and Hornaday swagged wad-cutters seem to work well.

Shooting 50' gallery is different that what you read for general revolver reloading. Big fat soft and slow bullets work well at 50' for paper punching. It also helps to seat the bullet as deep in the case as you can without deforming the base of the bullet. This allows you to use really small loads of Bullseye powder, 1.5 to 2.0 grains, for minimum recoil and helps on the rapid fire strings.

Barrel time is so long that hand held point of impact will be measurably different from  shooting over a bag. Once you get the best load, you will have to center the groups hand held.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Thanks Fellas,

I measured my cylinders, they are all 0.357". If I cast my own bullets, what size sizer die should I order ?

What would be the best lead alloy and lube to use ?

Thanks again for your help,

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 December 2007

I would get a .357 sizer and use either wheel weights or comparable alloy. It doesnt need to be hard lead. Lube is a matter of personal preference. 50/50 beeswax/alox will workfine or what ever you use most of. If you wouldnt be shooting over 900 fps, anything would work.

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 05 January 2008

Thanks Guys for all the advice. I have sent for some 148gr  Remington HBWC bullets, and someHornady 148gr HBWC bullets to try out, I will seat them deep on top of a light load of Bullseye and play with that for a while. I also have some Tightgroup that I would like to experiment with.

I noticed that most of you suggested that the bullet should be seated DEEP. This makes a lot of sence, 2.8grs to 3grs of bullseye in a 38 Special case leaves a LOT of air space between the bullet and the powder. Seating the bullet deeper should help.

When the new bullets arrive I'll put this theory to the test.

Thanks for the help,

Rich

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 January 2008

Rich,

In S&W revolvers their 18-3/4” twist won't give target accuracy with 148 wadcutters using light loads, due to inadequate stability. You also have to drive cast solid-based or double-end wadcutters a bit harder than soft swaged factory type HBWCs to get best grouping.

As for measuring the cylinder throat diameter, the best way to do this is to disassemble the cylinder from the yoke assembly, and using a beveled, flat-faced nylon or brass punch, holding the cylinder firmly on a non-marring bench block, drop pure lead roundballs or soft lead bullets into the chambers from the rear, and gently tap them out through the front of all six chambers and check them with a micrometer.  This gives a more accurate measurement than trying to use a vernier or dial caliper.  Most S&W revolvers I've slugged have cylinder throats of .3585-.3590 and require at least soft .358 bullets.  I've never had bullets as small as .357 shoot very well in any .38 target revolver I've tried them in.  And while factory type HBWC bullets seem to group best when flush-seated, like the factory rounds, I've had best results with DEWCs seating them out slightly and lightly taper crimping in the normal crimp groove provided.  Look up my articles in the FS on reloading .38 wadcutter ammo for more info.    

I've gotten best accuracy using the Saeco #348 double-end, bevel based wadcutter cast about 10 BHN, using 1-1/2 pounds of linotype to 5 pounds of pure lead. I load these as-cast, unsized, at their full .360 diameter. Only minimal lube is needed. Too much lube enlarges groups. I use either Lee Liquid Alox diluted 50-50 with mineral spirits or Rooster Jacket diluted 50-50 with water. Use one “coffee scoop” of diluted lube to a coffee can of bullets. Agitate gently inserting the end of a metal coffeee can into the tapered end of an empty plastic Folgers coffee container, tip the shaker end-to-end 25 times and pour onto a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper to dry overnight.

I do not resize fired cases, because typical dies are dimensioned for jacketed bullets and forcing soft bullets into cases which are too tight wrecks the bases and opens groups. Instead cases are decapped, inside deburred if once-fired factory brass, tumble cleaned, and flared only. For DA revolver use use a “soft” primer such as Remington or Federal and 3.5 grs. of Alliant Bullseye. Seat and crimp bullets in separate steps to avoid bullet deformation. Seat bullets with the sprue cut-off forward and with the bevel base exposed and case mouth to the crimp groove. Last step use the Lee Factory crimp die to full-length profile the loaded round, using only enough taper crimp to remove all mouth flare. In my Colt OM or friend's S&W K-38 these will shoot an inch at 25 yards, and from my BSA Martini rifle with 6X Unertl consistently under 2” at 50 yards.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 10 January 2008

Hi Ed,

I had already ordered some of the 148gr bullets before your post. They came Monday afternoon and I played with them on Tuesday. They are the hollow base wad cutter type from Hornady.

I seated them deep,(flush with the case mouth) and tried different amounts of Bullseye, then Tightgroup.

I got the best groups using 2.2grs of Bullseye. The Tightgroup isn't working as well, I have reduced the Tightgroup loads down to 3grs but it still seems to be a lot hotter than the Bullseye loads.

How low can I go with these powders, (Bullseye and Tightgroup) ? I will be shooting at 50' indoors so accuracy and reduced recoil is my goal.

Thanks for the help,

Rich

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 January 2008

I didn't get as good grouping with Hornady or Speer wadcutters as with Remington. Remington wadcutters still gave good accuracy down to 2.4 grains of Bullseye, about 670 fps.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

ED,

I did order and receive some of the Remington 148gr HBWC bullets from Midway. They were packaged with the Midway lable (not Remington) but they have the telltail black lube that Remington is famous for.

I haven't tried them yet, but I will real soon.

I would still like to reduce the Tightgroup loads, but don't know how low I can SAFETLY reduce loads with this powder. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 January 2008

I would ask Hodgdon before reducing Titegroup below published data.

Attached Files

Thanks Ed, I will do that.

Rich

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 15 January 2008

Hi Ed,

Today I had a chance to try some of the Remington 148gr HBWC bullets with 2.4grs of Bullseye that you recomended. They do shoot a lot better than the Hornady bullets. I will play with the charge a bit to see if I can shrink the groups . Any recomendations ??

You mentioned that with the 18-3/4” twist of my S&W, a 148gr WC isn't the ideal choice. What is the ideal weight bullet for a target load in that barrel? Should I be looking for a lighter bullet, or a heavier one?

Thanks for the advice,

Rich

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 January 2008

Rich,

The 18-3/4 inch twist in the S&W stabilizes wadcutters fine at normal factory velocity of around 750 fps, but they start tipping below about 700 fps unless you shoot them in a faster twist, such as a Colt Python with 14".

For light recoil indoors before you try buying a mould you might try the 110-gr. Winchester .357 jacketed HP. This particular bullet has a hollow base and the same length bearing surface as most 125s. I have found it to be extremely accurate. Do NOT go below 3.5 grs. of Bullseye with this 110-gr. bullet in a revolver or you WILL stick a bullet in the barrel! A normal (NOT +P) load is 4.5 grs. of Bullseye for about 900 f.p.s. in a 6” barrel. The +P load is 4.8 to 5 grains of Bullseye which is about 1000 fps from a 6 inch revolver and this will exit a 24” Marlin Cowboy rifle all the time, giving 2 inch 50 yard groups with iron sights and about 1080 fps in which the bullet peforms very well on game, expanding to .54 cal. without fragmenting. I load 6 grs. of Bullseye with this bullet in the .357 Magnum for my snubby revolvers.

If you want to cast a lighter bullet for gallery try a lighter wadcutter such as the NEI #135. This is a 135-gr. bevel-base of conventional target shape, which you could load with as little as 1.5 grs. of Bullseye flush seated for indoor shooting and it will still get out the barrel OK and be relatively stable.

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 15 January 2008

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. The 110gr Winchester bullet sounds like a winner but we are not allowed to use jacketed bullets at our indoor range.

The NEI # 135 looks interesting. Who is NEI, and where can I find their molds ?

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 January 2008

NEI moulds can be found at this address. They make a great aluminum mould:

http://www.neihandtools.com/>http://www.neihandtools.com/

The great thing about the wad-cutter bullets is just that, they punch a hole in the target like a paper punch. A lot easier scoring!

Attached Files

ConRich posted this 16 January 2008

Dan, 

They are a bit pricy compared to the Lee aluminum moulds that I have been looking at.

Thanks for sending the link,

Rich

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close