Lawerence brand magnum shot

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 March 2008
CB posted this 18 December 2007

Curiousity compelled me to melt down several pounds of Lawerence brand magnum shot and cast some bullits with the alloy. The pot temp was the same as always and I cast the same as usual until the pot was empty. Bullets as cast are bright and hard. Casting this alloy has a higher sloppiness quotient because the sprue puddles do not join together as with my typical mix. Generally alloy harder than WW will be lighter than WW and this did apply but to a much lesser degree. Just under three grains difference on a 38 cal 160 gr truncated cone design. My WW alloy yeilds a 165 gr slug. Chronograph results show a slight velocity increase over my 847 fps  6.8 std dev target load, 22 fps with std dev very close. There also is a noticably different sound when striking steel targets. Accuracy seemed the same as my standard target loads but I believe the same bullet made of WW carries steel targets better. This is the extent of my semi-extensive testing. What are the drawbacks/advantages to using this particular product.  A lifetime of shooting, casting and reloading has all my stockpiles pretty full so this is primarily a case of too much spare time and a butt load of shot. I am prepared to pursue this query, at least for my own edification. Thanks for any input.

Roy

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 18 December 2007

I have used old stocks of shot gotten at yard sales, etc. to alloy soft indoor range .22 and .38 wadcutter backstop scrap or plumber's lead to increase its antimony content to slightly increase its hardness.

Hard shot is generally 5-6% antimony and about 0.5 arsenic with no tin. What has worked very well for me is to melt 5 lbs. of pure or soft lead in the bottom of the pot, then in increments add shot to nearly top off the pot, leaving about 3/4” from the top of the melt, then flux, stir and skim well. Then add one pound of 50-50 bar solder to a 20 lb. pot full and top the pot off with a bit more shot if needed to fill. If you use a 20-lb. furnace this yields an alloy approximately equivalent to wheelweights with 2% tin added, which is a good general purpose alloy, about 12-13 BHN.

If you don't have a supply of bar solder handy, a similar mix which casts nicely is to first melt a Midway 7.5 lb. ingot of certified 1:20 tin-lead alloy in the bottom of a 20-lb. pot, then fill and top off the pot with shot, stir, flux and skim.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 December 2007

Thanks Ed, no tin is why it acts crazy. The new lead free solder should be my answer to making the alloy work smoother. What I found in the lead free solder is 95% tin. It's like magic for pure lead. Back to the casting pot for more semi-extensive testing. Roy

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 December 2007

Yes, the 95/5  tin/antimony solder is wonderful stuff. Use no more than you have to. Even a few ounces, say a six-foot string of the wire in a potful makes a difference.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 19 December 2007

I had a table one time of the antimony content of birdshot but cannot find it. However what I do remember is that it varies according to shot size. Number 6 is the cut off where if you go lower the content increases and if you go above 4 or 2 it decreases. Chilled shot gives something like 1% in 2-6 and up to 2% in the fine sizes like 8, 9 etc. I have tried both 6 and 9 as bullets and 9 is harder. In “magnum” shot the 2-6 can be expected to be about 4% abd the fine shot at 6%. Ed is correct in that the tin content is low and adding tin does help. 6 lbs of alloy equals 96 ounces so adding one ounce to six gives a close approximation to 1%. One thing, birdshot hardens to tempering beautifully, which is why I like it in my hunting loads.

MNshooter

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 December 2007

Ok Guys;

The shot size is seven an a half. To six pounds of shot I added five ounces of the 95/5 solder and the bullet weight as cast is 160gr.. This weight is what the mould should produce using a #2 alloy. Adding tin made all the difference for casting good quality bullets. Since I have no hardness tester, the old thumb nail method had to suffice. Compared to my standard #2 alloy, they seem a bit harder to scratch. It may be due to a higher antimony content. Tomorrow they get loaded and some more testing, including chrono to see if velocities fall back to normal. I'd like to thank you fellows for your interest and input, this has been educational and fun.

Roy

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 21 December 2007

Help!?!

I see Ed mentions that the lead free solder is 95/5 tin antimony.

I am brand spankin' new to this.  I have 200 lbs of WW right now.  I want #2 alloy, or a tad harder.

The std mix for #2, as I undersatnd it, is 10 lbs WW and 1 lb 50/50 bar solder.  I am having  a hard time finding 50/50.

If the lead free solder is 95/5 tin/antimony - what is the mix of that with WW to get a basic #2 alloy?

Thanx ofr all your help.

Steve

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 December 2007

Oscar Go to the downloads section of the main CBA website and down load the alloy calculator, it will help you figure out your mix.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/downloads.shtml

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 18 January 2008

Your experience is the same as mine. A few years ago Imade a bunch of bullets using hard shot; I think the shot size was 8 1/2.  The casting qualities were very good and the bullets were very bright. I tried it because after over 40 years of scrouging dirty wheel weights and melting them down in 50 pound lots, I wanted an easier way of getting alloy. Also, they shot as well as any alloy I have tried.

CItyboy

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 January 2008

Hey Cityboy; Glad to know I'm not the only one doing things like this. The magnum shot needed to be enriched with some tin for the best casting. The new lead free solder is like magic. It also needed a bit of extra care due to a higher level of arsnic. For the time being I am done fooling around with the magnum shot but it is good to have the option available. My buddies are beating me up over melting down the good shot when I do have plenty of alloy. Maybe I have a bit too much idle time now. It was a fun thread and gave some of us a chuckle. Well gotta get back into some kind of tom foolery. Thanks for your interest. Roy

Attached Files

sundog posted this 19 January 2008

Shot is especially helpful in making extra hard bullets if water dropped or heat treated as long as the tin contact remains low. BHn measurements, if you have a tester, should not be taken sooner than about a month and hardness can remain for years.

A good source is recovered shot from active shotgun ranges.

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 15 February 2008

I can't believe you guys are actually melting shot for bullet casting...

I love my shotguns, and hoard as much shot as I can for my shotshells. The best price I can get for 25# of shot is $28, and that was as a member of a club that's currently down because the property neighbor complained that shot was dropping on his property. They may or may not be back, depending on whether the EPA is willing to cooperate. We just got an Outdoor World/BassPro Shop outlet in my area, and they want $58 per bag there!  :wow: -Don

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 February 2008

Hey Devin;

You are absolutly right about us. Our shotgun range has also been shut down due to people moving in next door. It's the sound that was the irritant for them. The shot I'm playing with was purchased several years back, I payed $13 a bag for it. In order to get that price, we as a group, were forced to buy a pallet load. As a result, I got fifty bags. Since then my buddy bought a shot maker and we have been using his shot as part of our semi-extensive testing. With prices going nuts like they have, maybe I'll quite pissing it away. On the positive side, the magnum shot makes a shiny hard bullet. Besides, I have done far dumber things in my life, how about you?  I love your byline.

Roy 

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 05 March 2008

Anyone price shot lately? I'm told it is just about up there with the price of GOLD.... And we all buy that every day!:dude: MM

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 06 March 2008

Mauserman wrote: Anyone price shot lately? I'm told it is just about up there with the price of GOLD.... Yeah! 50 bucks at Midway, plus shipping. $59 at BassPro plus tax. Insane. -Don

Attached Files

Close