The .38 Special - Best Only Handgun for the Non-Enthusiast

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 12 June 2014
Ed Harris posted this 27 September 2007

Casual shooters, who are NOT handgun enthusiasts, frequently ask what ONE handgun they should buy for home defense and sport. They would never use a handgun for big game hunting, but would carry it on fishing, camping or hunting trips, use it for informal target shooting, and depend on it, if ever needed, for home defense. They don't want a “collection,” but ONE handgun to serve multiple needs in a family where shooting is not a hobby activity.

The requirements are safety, reliability, durability, accuracy, and modest cost of gun and ammunition. Also important is suitability for use by the “female significant other.” These parameters haven't changed since Smith & Wesson first introduced its famed Military and Police Model in 1903.

Julian S. Hatcher said, in the Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers (1935), “Were it necessary for the average shooter to own and use but one revolver, it should be a .38 Special.” This is still true today. The late Elmer Keith, who favored large guns and powerful loads, said in his book Sixguns (1955), of the .38 Special, when loaded with the semi-wadcutter bullet he made famous, as “the best to be had for hunting small game with the sixgun,” high praise indeed from Keith.

The .38 Special still makes sense, because, todays load options make it better than ever. Sound used .38 Special revolvers are reasonably priced compared to modern combat autopistols. Ammunition is still common, relatively inexpensive and available everywhere. The .38 Special is the most accurate revolver cartridge ever developed. Ten-shot groups fired from test barrels or 5-shot ones from quality target revolvers are frequently 1-1/2” or less at 50 yards. The best service-grade revolvers produce groups of this order at 25 yards.

Factory .38 Special loads provide greater variety than for any other handgun cartridge. Hand loading provides even more flexibility for those who do. The .38 Special is generally deemed the minimum revolver cartridge suitable for personal protection.

While the .38 Special is no longer the duty gun of choice for police or military use, it enjoys great popularity in states where civilian concealed carry is permitted. While it is true that small, pocket revolvers are now available chambered for the .357 Magnum, using .38 Special ammunition in them makes more sense for a variety of reasons.

While a .22 rim-fire is most often chosen as the outdoorsman's kit gun, the owner of “one handgun”¿ can use the .38 Special for this purpose, and find it more effective than a rimfire. When outdoor trips are short, few rounds are needed. I usually carry a Speer shotload (for snakes) first-up, with the rest of the rounds in the cylinder being +P semi-wadcutter hollowpoints, such as the Winchester X39SPD, Federal 38G or Remington R38S12, aka Ayoob's favorite “The FBI load.” Two Bianchi speed strips and six loose rounds fit into a Brigade Quartermasters “Can Keeper”¿ without rattling on your belt, in your coat pocket or day pack. If I plan any serious plinking, I'll pack an extra box of wadcutters.

The non-enthusiast seeking “one handgun” and who does not plan to carry concealed should select a “police-service-type,”¿ double-action .38 Special with a 3” or 4” barrel. In states where concealed carry is legal a 4”¿ gun will be cheaper than a 2”¿ snubbie of similar model. For field use a gun having adjustable sights is a plus. A 4”¿ barrel is easier to shoot accurate and is still easily concealed in a proper holster. For most purposes you will want an inside-waistband type with reinforced opening which permits one-handed re-holstering.

“Snubbies”¿ are most popular today as carry guns. I carry one myself, but they lose some ballistic performance and are more difficult to learn to shoot well. Do not buy a snubby unless you are willing to practice with it A LOT. A .357 Magnum revolver of these general specifications is also OK, because a .357 can use any .38 Special ammunition. Revolvers designed for magnum ammunition are more durably constructed, and won't loosen up with frequent use of .38 Special +P loads.

If you will carry the revolver for personal protection, you should buy one with fixed sights and either a 3” or 4”¿ barrel. The snubbies have advantages in the close-quarter backup role, but require frequent practice to maintain proficiency. Remember that for our scenario here we are talking about ONE gun for the non-hobby shooter...

Wadcutters are ideal for most general use including field shooting. They are accurate, give a good knockdown blow on small game, and don't destroy much meat.. They are a safe choice for defense in “airweight” or alloy-frame guns which cannot handle +P ammunition. Novices should use wadcutters until able to six shots DA at ten yards into a 6 inch group reliably. After developing some skill, experiment with heavier +P loads, in guns suitable for them, to become accustomed to their additional recoil. +P ammo is not for casual shooting, but for serious defense carry against two or four-legged varmints when more power is needed.

The .38 Special +P is adequate for personal defense, with proper ammunition. The 158-gr. all-lead hollowpoints provide stopping power equal to .45 ACP hardball. This represents the upper limit of power the average person can handle. It should be used only in steel frames, never in the light alloy ones.

In light alloy frames the most effective non+P load is the Winchester 110-gr. Silvertip HP. It is the only load which I have found to expand reliably from a 2” barrel. Recoil is mild, like shooting a wadcutter, so this lload is easily managed by the female significant other who is recoil-shy. The 125-gr. jacketed HP loads require a 4” barrel for normal performance, but the major-brand name, Federal, Winchester and Remington factory +P “personal protection loads,” such as Hydrashok, Silvertip and Golden Sabre do excell from those.

Ten years ago the market was flooded with police turn-in .38 Specials in good condition which you could get for under $200. These days you will have to shop around to find a used revolver which isn't worn out and you can expect to pay $300 for a used S&W Model 10 and $550 for a new Ruger SP101. If you don't know revolvers take someone with you to shop who is. You do not want to buy into a “gunsmithing project,” because you can easily invest more in fixing up a used gun than it is worth.

In new guns look at the Ruger GP100 or SP101. In used guns the S&W Model 36 or Model 60 Chief's Special, with 3” heavy barrel, and the older K-frame Model 10 and 13 heavy barrel, in 3” round butt, or 4” square butt configuration are good choices, if you can find one.

Simplify your ammunition supply. If you have a light alloy frame gun use mid-range target wadcutters for practice. In steel frame guns practice with cast lead flatnose “Cowboy” loads or semi-wadcutter field loads. For actual defense carry use only factory loaded +P lead hollowpoint or JHP “personal protection loads.” You may also want to keep a few Speer shotshells around if you live in snake country. These loads handle all uses for a .38 revolver.

The muzzle of a revolver should always be elevated when ejecting fired cases, so that any unburned powder particles fall out with the empties, rather than under the extractor, or between the crane and frame, which could tie up the gun. Smart revolver shooters always carry a toothbrush in their kit for cleaning residue out from under the extractor. If you haven't shot a revolver before, my advice is to make friends with an old retired cop who carried one for at least 20 years and ask him to show you how to properly clean and maintain it. I would also get a copy of Ed Lovett's book, The Snubby Revolver.

If you don't currently own a handgun, but have been thinking about it, you can't go wrong with a sturdy 4” .38 Special.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bruce posted this 28 September 2007

Ed,

Well stated! It is impossible to over-emphasize the utility of a double-action .38 Special.

Imagine shooting nothing but one load from one 3” or 4” barreled model 10 or some such. But only a non-enthusiast could stand only owning and shooting one handgun, and then that person wouldn't care to practise enough...

Long live the .38 Special & Second Amendment!

Bruce

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 October 2007

Actually, I know one gentleman who has done just that. In his younger days he was an active shooter, but he has moved into an assisted living facility and sold most of his guns. He's kept only the Colt Official Police 4” .38 Special which he carried “on the job” for many years. I take him to the range when ever I can and make sure he always has a basic load of ammo. He's 90 years old and still knows how to use it.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken O posted this 07 October 2007

Yep, my carry is a .38SpL snubnose. I agree with most, except as far as accuracy, its hard to pick a winner. The .41 and .44 come to mind. But for one gun, you can't go wrong with the .38.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 05 November 2007

I have two questions on loading for practice rounds. First, the 3.5 gr. of Bullseye is more than is listed in most manuals. I believe that just the standard target load is usually given in the load manuals which is 2.8 grains. Heavier loads of Bullseye should be safe as Alliant list higher charge weights for heavier bullet weights than for wadcutters. So how did you arive at the 3.5 grain load and is this only for solid base wadcutters? The second question is; have you found if there is an accuracy difference between wadcutters and semi-wadcutters. I do not load for light alloy frame revolvers, but have an older Colt officers match.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 November 2007

The 3.5 grain charge of Alliant Bullseye is recommended only with for use with solid-based, double end wadcutters such as the Saeco #348. This charge approximates the start range for a DEWC listed in Speer No. 13 - they go up to 4.5 - but it gives very good accuracy and I saw no reason to use a heavier load in the .38 Special.

With Remington factory, hollow-based wadcutters, flush-seated and lightly taper crimped, I settled upon a charge of 3.0-3.2 grains of Alliant Bullseye.  A somewhat heavier charge is required with current Alliant product compared to the 2.6-2.8 grains often recommended with older Hercules powder, in order to approximate factory wadcutter load velocity. The exact charge weight is adjusted per the powder lot to account for variations, and provide 770+/- 30 f.p.s. from my 6” Colt Officer's Model Match revolver.  This compares to velocity tests with the Remington factory wadcutters I used as a benchmark.

The following is a “web condensed versionâ€? taken from several of my articles which appeared in The Fouling Shot.  

Notes on the .38 Special

Col. E.H. Harrison wrote in the NRA Handloader's Guide that “good” lots of factory .38 wadcutters were capable of about 1mil dispersion, approximately 1.5 inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards.  Properly assembled hand loads using the same Remington or Winchester component bullets as loaded by the ammunition factories were nearly as good, about 3.5 minutes of angle, or somewhat under two inches at 50 yards from a match-target gun.  Of cast bullets tested by Harrison, the Hensley & Giibbs #50 bevel-base cast of linotype metal (22 BHN) was best. The plain based version of the #50 with a flat, square base was nearly as good.  

Harrison's recommendation of linotype alloy conflicts with my experience.  Linotype bullets, unless carefully fitted to revolver cylinder throats, lead the forcing cone and require careful attention to lubrication and cleaning to maintain bore condition.  In my testing of commercial cast  Meister and Lasercast wad cutters of 92-6-2 alloy (16 BHN), keyholes resulted with light charges of 2.8 grains of Bullseye, whereas increasing the charge to 3.5 grains brought nice, tight revolver groups. 

Commercial bullet casters prefer hard alloys because they are available in large heat lots, and are consistent than salvaged linotype (which is less common these days) and from a marketing standpoint hard bullets look pretty and aren't damaged in shipping. 

Harrison found that less bullet lubricant was more accurate in .38 Special target loads than using more. He found it necessary to fill only one lubricating groove of the H&G #50 with 50-50 Alox-beeswax.  I found similarly, that a light film of Lee Liquid Alox diluted 50-50 with aliphatic mineral spirits or Stoddard Solvent, or a clear film of Rooster Jacket is entirely adequate for non+P .38 Special loads.

Winchester stopped selling lead component bullets several years ago. Remington hollow-based wad-cutter bullets are still available and shoot extremely well.  The black, dry lube builds up in seating dies and affects seating depth unless cleaned out periodically.  The same occurs with Lee liquid Alox.  Lube buildup is less of a problem with Rooster Jacket.

I cast my bullets using wheel weights with about 1% tin, or no more than is necessary to get nicely filled out, uniformly frosted bullets which accept the tumble-on film lubricants well.  I prefer the Saeco #348.  This has a single wide lubricating groove, double-ended, both ends being bevel-based with a substantial angled crimping groove.  It weighs 146-grains. I load these as-cast, without sizing, and orient the sprue cut forward, ensuring a flat, square base.  Bullets are seated with the front driving band and bevel base protruding from the case mouth to facilitate easy reloading with revolver speed loaders. 

Saeco #348 wad cutters, are loaded un-sized and tumble-lubed either with Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) or Rooster Jacket tumble-on lube (RJ), seated and crimped in the revolver crimp groove.  Brass is decapped and flared only, primed and charges with of 3.5 grains of Aliant Bullseye.  Bullets are seated to the crimp groove and crimped separately in the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  This profiles the loaded round, executes a well-rounded crimp in the crimp groove and sizes the bullet by compression inside the case.

Cast double-end wadcutters or DEWCs require heavier charges than hollow-based wadcutters (HBWCs) for best accuracy.  I use  3.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye for a velocity of about 850 f.p.s. from a 6” revolver or 750 from a 2".  I expect averages of 1.5” or better for an average of five consecutive 6-shot hand-held groups with iron sights at 25 yards.  A good shot with young eyes should be able to approach an inch. My Colt Officer's Model Match with its 14â€? twist did its best at 1.2â€? with Rooster Jacket.  Good  guns are capable of better off a Ransom Rest, but that is the best a 59-year-old can do hand-held and is a useful benchmark.

Firing these loads from my BSA Martini Cadet with Green Mountain 16â€? twist and .357 Magnum chamber with .38 AMU-style 3-degree forcing cone and 6X Unertl small game telescope, a series of ten consecutive 5-shot groups at 25 yards, 0.84â€? with the smallest group 0.56â€? and the largest 1.09â€?. 

Commercial hard cast bullets of 92-6-2 alloy, sized, to .357â€? or 358â€? diameters did not shoot as well as un-sized wheel weight cast bullets lubed with LLA or RJ.  The Remington soft swaged HBWC bullets shot wonderfully when flush seated, using the black dry lube which comes on them.   None of the cast double-enders grouped as well in revolvers when flush seated as they did seated out and crimped in the crimp groove. 

Remington hollow-based wad cutters shot consistently well, even with somewhat lighter and heavier charges than those usually recommended.  I found that a somewhat heavier charge of Alliant Bullseye, than the often recommended 2.7-2.8 grains was needed with the HBWC bullets to approximate the velocity of factory wad cutter loads.  With current Alliant product a charge in the range of 3.0 to 3.2 grains is correct.

Fifty-yard results are revealing. The best factory wad-cutter loads I have tested in the Martini are of historical interest, Remington-Bridgeport production used by the U.S. Pistol Team in the 1960 Olympic Games.  It averaged 1.16â€? at 50 yards for ten consecutive 5-shot groups from the scoped BSA Martini. Norma 158-grain lead, round nosed ammo from the mid 1980s averaged 1.6â€? at 50 yards.  The new Winchester wad cutter was disappointing, one group containing a keyhole which enlarged it to almost six inches, the best group was just under two inches and five targets averaged of over three inches.  Sellier & Belliot (Czech import) shot fairly well, averaging about two inches.

Of the factory swaged hollow based wad cutters sold for hand loading only Remington's consistently averaged less than 2â€? from the scoped martini at fifty yards.  The often recommended 2.8 grain charge of Bullseye averaged 1.8â€?, but increasing the charge to 3 grains shrunk the average to an inch and a half.  The Remington 158-gr. Lead SWC flat base of .358 diameter loaded to 1.45â€? overall with 3.5 grains of Bullseye was a pleasant surprise which averaged an inch and a half.  Speer's 158-gr. Lead Round nose with 3.5 grains of Bullseye shot as well as my prized lot of Norma LRN.

Saeco #348 double-ender, loaded unsized, and crimped in the crimp groove over 3.5 grains of Bullseye averaged 1.87â€? at 50 yards, which agrees with Harrison's observations of many years ago

190-grain and 150-grain versions of the NEI #161A, (a blackpowder design, with large meplat) loaded with 3.5 grains of Bullseye also averaged about an inch and a half at 50 yards, slightly better than the wad cutter.  Because a couple shot holes with the 190-grain version showed slight yaw at 50 yards, I increased the charge slightly to improve stability.  A charge of 4.2 grains of Bullseye, crimped in the top lubricating groove at 1.55â€? overall length averaged 0.87â€? with the largest group 1.07â€? and the smallest 0.61! THAT got my attention!

It was time to try .357 Magnum brass.  Seating the 190-gr. NEI #161A in the normal crimp groove using .357 brass the cartridge OAL is 1.58â€?.  A charge of 4 grains of Bullseye gave 1000 f.p.s. from the BSA and averaged under an inch and a half.  Increasing the charge to 4.3 grains enlarged groups slightly, but the average was still less than two inches.  Increasing the charge still more to 4.5 grains enlarged groups further. So it was time to try a harder alloy.

I bought some 190gr. LFN bullets from Hunter's Supply which are the same design as  the NEI #161A, but cast from harder 92Pb-6Sb-2Sn alloy.  I also loaded some Winchester 158-grain jacketed hollow points in new virgin Winchester cases, with WSP primers and 14.5 grains of #2400 to provide a jacketed .357 benchmark.

Hunter's Supply hard cast .358â€? diameter 190 LFNs with 4.3 grains of Bullseye averaged under an inch at 50 yards.  Increasing the charge to 4.5 grains the harder alloy averaged 1.26â€?, almost exactly half what my cast wheel weight metal bullets did when overdriven.  Hand loaded Winchester 158 JHPs averaged an inch.

So I decided to try 100 yards”¦ And in addition to the Martini I tested the best loads also in my Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited with 2.5X Weaver scope.  The Norma 158-gr. LRN factory loads averaged just less than 3â€? at 100 yards from the BSA, and 4â€? from the Marlin.  Hand loads with swaged lead round nose and semi-wad cutter ammo in .38 Special cases didn't shoot as well, but did stay under 4 minutes of angle. The Hunter's Supply 190 LFN of 92-6-2 alloy sized .358, with 4.3 grains of Bullseye in .357 cases averaging 2.18â€? for five consecutive 5-shot groups at 100 yards in the BSA and 2.36â€? in the Marlin. 

Supersonic cast loads did not group as well at 100 yards as the slower loads.  This is because the faster cast bullet loads are subjected to transonic buffeting as their velocity decays below the speed of sound.   

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 June 2014

I'm bringing this back up in response to another post re. the .38 Sp. and Model 10. Lotta good info here and worth reviving.

Attached Files

sfoster posted this 09 June 2014

I have seen some private security turns of the Ruger SP101 in .38 Special only, ie: not able to chamber the .357 magnum.  Must be almost indestructible.  These are mostly carried, and shot little, for about $250 for the blue 4".  If I had not bought the same story in a S&w Model 10 a few months earlier, I would be all over one.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 09 June 2014

Regarding revolver carry, I'm a convert. I shot Bullseye pistol competition for years, and loved the Colt .45 auto. Somewhere in the early '80s, I earned my Distinguished Expert.45 badge, and around the same time I took 1st Civilian Expert in the .45 Aggregate at Camp Perry.

I carried a .45 auto for years as my “carry gun” - until several years ago. I had my left shoulder operated on for a torn rotator cuff. I'm right handed, so it shouldn't have made a difference, right?

Except that I suddenly realized that if I had any kind of a malfunction with that handy little Officer's Model .45, I was pretty much disarmed without two hands to clear it. I carry a snub nosed .38 now, and if anything were to happen to one arm, I can shoot with the other, and if I have any kind of a malfunction, I can just pull the trigger again.

Makes pretty good sense to me.

Wes

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 June 2014

Wes,

I think you have the situation well under control! I loved the 45 ACP, shot it for years before I found out I wasn't a Bullseye shooter. However, during my law enforcement time, I carried a S&W Combat Masterpiece and a Colt Agent in my pocket, with Super-Vels. With the Ithaca Model 37 in the car full of 00, I never felt undergunned while in Ohio.

Ric

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 June 2014

combat masterpiece ... sigh; my brother left me a mint one back in '88; what a sweety.

shot only wadcutters; it was just right for everything ... so naturally i traded it off ... kept my 4 inch security six 357 tho.

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 12 June 2014

I love shooting my .38's. It's just a nice round. A friend of mine carried a 1911 in the service. “That thing wore a hole in my leg."

Attached Files

Close