I have trouble getting gas checks to attach correctly to my

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 28 April 2017
S.B. posted this 26 November 2016

cast bullet either rifle or pistol any tricks will be greatly appreciated? Steve

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 26 November 2016

What brand and vintage of mould and what brand and vintage of gas-checks? There is a lot of variables over the last 110 years. We need more information! Ric

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 November 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10538>S.B.

There are formulas for bullet shank diameter,check thickness, and check formed diameter. They determine fit for the sizing diameter of your check install die. If you have a problem you have to isolate the reason and correct it. An example, I wound up using 31 cal. gas checks for 30-06 bullets that are sized/checked at .312"

If you know your shank diameter and finished bullet diameter Sagesoutdoors will help you order: http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/

They are members here to and have been nice to do business with.

Personally, I prefer the Lee Lube and Size kits for sizing/checking bullets. The Lee push through system doesn't need any nose punches, is avail in many sizes, custom sizes arent expensive and they are easily honed by yourself if you learn how to.

Gary

Attached Files

yodogsandman posted this 26 November 2016

NOE Bullet Molds has just come out with a new gas check expander. You'll need both the GC expander die and a caliber specific GC expander ram. This will save my thumbs a lot of pain. I got mine yesterday in the mail!

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=432&osCsid=gkkgkuenm30fm9tl7ave4sdvn1>http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=432&osCsid=gkkgkuenm30fm9tl7ave4sdvn1

I'm thinking that the GC's can be seated with it also by placing a top punch upside down in a shell holder installed on the ram and then running it up will seat them squarely.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 26 November 2016

Like Ric said, we need more information. One example of why is the fact that Lyman gas checks don't crimp at all, neither do the aluminum ones. Are the checks too big? are they too small?

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 26 November 2016

Older Lyman checks did not crimp on, but it"s my understanding that Lyman gas checks are now identical to Hornaday crimp-on checks - except, of course, in price. As usual, Lyman checks cost more.

Wes

Attached Files

S.B. posted this 27 November 2016

Seems like every bullet mold I have for gas checks the bullet cast too small to hold check? Steve

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 November 2016

S.B. wrote: Seems like every bullet mold I have for gas checks the bullet cast too small to hold check? Steve It is not an impossible situation. To get a larger gas check shank area on a bullet sometimes simply casting warmer or changing your cadence will get your bullets up to .003” bigger and then your checks fit fine. Also it isn't rocket science to hone an aluminum bullet mold with a hex slug and toothpaste with pumice. The abrasive can be applied to the shank area specifically too.

Knowing how to measure stuff very accurately helps you select the best checks for your application. I prefer aluminum checks from sagesoutdoors because of their options and dimensions in the calibers I shoot.

Attached Files

S.B. posted this 27 November 2016

I'm a little shy of honing a six cavity mold and expecting to get every cavity the same at the gas check end? I've had a little experience with hones while working for Caterpillar and know the limitation of such a process. There, we measured in micron(accurately) with micrometers. Steve

Attached Files

yodogsandman posted this 27 November 2016

Casting with an alloy with a higher percentage of antimony will increase the shank area, too.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 27 November 2016

Westhoff wrote: Older Lyman checks did not crimp on, but it"s my understanding that Lyman gas checks are now identical to Hornaday crimp-on checks - except, of course, in price. As usual, Lyman checks cost more.

Wes And Lyman buys them from Hornady.

We still need to know what brand of checks the OP is trying to use. We need to start here first.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 28 November 2016

S.B. wrote: Seems like every bullet mold I have for gas checks the bullet cast too small to hold check? SteveEven one specific example would be helpful.

-- what is the as-cast diameter of the check shank? -- what is the brand & caliber of check? -- what is your alloy? -- what is your size-to diameter?

All those things matter for check fit.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 28 November 2016

I've been making my own aluminum checks for over a year now and have had very good luck fitting the checks by varying the thickness of the material used. I have organizer bins with the various thickness of checks from about .009 to .016. This has eliminated a lot of fitting problems. Also I've made check expanders out of an appropriate size of bolt shank and use my drill press as a means of opening the checks if needed. I also recommend the NOE sizing system for the installation of the checks as it gives the option of nose first or base first seating. Gp P.S. +1 for sage product.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 02 April 2017

I've been using the LYMAN gas check seater since it came out. On an old LYMAN 450 Lubisizer. How your gaschecks fit depends on the condition of the bullets base. Is the base clean and SHARPLY filled out? Was the sprue cut cleanly off or was it torn out ? Does the bullet stand straight up on it's base ? Before and after the gascheck is applied ?

I almost always cast any bullet that requires a gascheck out of pure LINOTYPE. It gives the largest diameter, therefore a tighter fit for the gascheck.

I switched to the HORNADY crimp on style when I got a used 2 cav. LYMAN #358156. One cavity drops a bullet with a slightly under-sized base. The old style gold colored LYMAN slip on gaschecks just wouldn't stay on.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 03 April 2017

cast bullet either rifle or pistol any tricks will be greatly appreciated? Steve
Put the cast bullets in a plastic container, gently shake them around for a few minutes. Whiskers disappear, gas check stub flash disappears, gas checks go on much easier. (See A. Barniskis and washing machine.)
joe b.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 28 April 2017

All: One more way to skin the cat-------. I had trouble with loose fitting gc's after crimping. So I now tumble lube and the put the little buggers on. I use the the NOE die to put the caps on square and then crimp in the noe size-crimp die. Works for me  Ross

Attached Files

Close