Astra 900 & the Ideal 308227

• Last Post 23 November 2016
David Reiss posted this 17 November 2016

Finally found the 308227 to try with my Astra 900 / .30 Mauser. I've had this pistol for several years, but never shot any cast bullets in it. Let me know if you had any experience with this pistol and combo.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Here's the mold.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

One more.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 November 2016

The rules don't change regardless of your combo. You will have to determine if the mold will cast bullets in a suitable diameter to fit the firearm you have.

The perfect fit will pass an ink test with a dummy load and show if the bullet is the largest diameter that will easily chamber. Ink on the bullet should show slide marks from chambering, but still chamber easily. Any smaller of a bullet diameter will have reduced accuracy potential for any cast bullet/firearm combo.

Gary

Attached Files

horne458 posted this 18 November 2016

If you have access to Fouling Shot number 146, page 6, you will find an article by yours truly detailing some of my efforts using cast bullets in C96 Mauser's in .30 Mauser.  Your mileage may vary, but this may save you a little time.  Also by yours truly is an article dealing with loading for the .30 Mauser pistol in the Handloader's Digest number 18, beginning on page 41.  The info is somewhat dated, as these were researched and written years ago, but you may find something useful in them.  I have no experience with the Astra version, other than handling them, but I hope you may find something useful.

Don

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 November 2016

Don, Looked up both your articles and they are treasures! Thanks for reminding us you wrote those. Ric

Attached Files

horne458 posted this 19 November 2016

Thanks for the kind words, Ric. Appreciate that. Don

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 19 November 2016

Don,

Thank you very much for the articles, HD 18th was not in my library. So I ordered one immediately and it arrive today. I turned to the page on your article and quickly “oogled it". It will be at my bedside this evening so that I can take it all in. 

I hope to follow up your experiences with my own testing in an upcoming FS. 

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 23 November 2016

I have had good results in a .30 Luger with the 93 grain Lyman cast bullet, I don't recall the mold #. I found a moderate load of Unique gave me good enough accuracy to stay on a beer can (most of the time) out to 40 yards. (I was younger then so may not be able to do it on demand anymore). At least to me, they seem like similar cartridges.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 23 November 2016

Can't get to it until after the first of the of the year, but I will report back on it here and then probably with a FS article. Thanks for the responses up till now.

Attached Files

Close