Venezualian Mauser

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 11 September 2016
R. Dupraz posted this 10 September 2016

Lately I have been dinging around with a Venezualian 24/30 7x57 Mauser short rifle. And after doing a throat slug I found that the beginning of the lands/leade start right at the chamber mouth so basically there is no throat/ball seat.       This rifle is a typical example of a sixties sporterizeing job with a cut down military stock, drilled and tapped for scope and blued, all nicely done though. 98 FN mauser military action. Bore, bright but worn. Around an inch for five at fifty yards so far with the RCBS 7mm-145-Sil. A couple of issues though , trigger and bedding. The trigger has been taken care of, bedding is next. Also, realized that that bullet needs to be about .003” bigger.  So think that it is worth messing with.     So, the questions are, has anyone run into this no throat configuration? And how does it effect loading and shooting cast.     The military Mauser junke   

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 10 September 2016

Do you get lead splash on your case necks? Some with no ball seat do this and shoot bad.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 September 2016

The same general rule applies. The largest diameter cast bullet that will easily chamber in your rifle will have the highest accuracy potential. Simply apply ink to the exposed driving bands on a dummy load. If the ink is not marked on the bands from chamber/Un-chamber of your dummy round, your cast bullets are not big enough to shoot well. Use the  largest diameter cast bullet that will function and you will have the best fit for accuracy potential. Just do what you have to do to get the fit. You may have to hone your bullet mold and/or your bullet sizing die to get a sliding fit upon chambering. Then you will have the most accuracy potential to begin testing loads. A moderate hunting load level will need  BHN15 Lyman #2 alloy or similar for the load pressure. Cast Bullets that show sliding contact in ink upon chambering indicate the bullet will have a stable start for firing regardless of LOA or ball seat. No contact and the bullets will start wobbling down the bore upon firing and shoot poorly below the accuracy potential of a cast bullet that fits and checks correctly with the ink test.. Gary

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 September 2016

No lead splash with light 4227 charges with that RCBS bullet at .286” shot as cast seated so that the front band is quite a ways up into and on top of the tapered leade-lands. Also, surprisingly, no leading what so ever when lubed with 50/50 liquid alox and Johnson liquid floor wax.

Diameter of bore at the mouth of the case is .287-.288” near as I can tell.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 September 2016

"seated so that the front band is quite a ways up into and on top of the tapered leade-lands"

Verify that with ink. If you show slide marks and feel some light resistance chambering, that is the best fit you can get for accuracy potential. No measurements are needed when you verify with an ink test.

Also consider my bore polishing method in the Accuracy Forum

Gary

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 September 2016

I have no help to offer but am always paying attention when the old 7mm comes up. Somewhere out in the pile I think I have a chamber cast from my Brazilian 7mm. I'll dig. In the meantime, what is the ID of your fired case necks? Just curious. My interest stems from having a 7x57 for my first center fire rifle. I read a lot of stories about how great it was.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 11 September 2016

The diameter of a full charge smokeless case neck measures .288” or so near as I can tell. I got a bunch of mixed brass with the rifle. some new and some that had been loaded and fired with full tilt jacketed. So checked a few of those.   Today I beagled out my RCBS-145-Sil and cast some that came out at .288". Now, the OAL is much shorter and the front of the front driving band of that bullet is stopped just barely ahead of the chamber by the beginning of the lands.   So it will be interesting to see what happens after I get the little beast bedded with some glass.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 11 September 2016

The funny thing is that TT and I had the same rifle as our first CF: a Ruger 77 in 7x57. Mine was the scope only model and I bought it in the mid 1970's. My recollection was that it liked the longer RN 7 mm bullets in preference to the 140's (all jacketed). Unfortunately life happens and that rifle and several others were sold to fund various needs and wants. I think that if the ledger was studied, I am well ahead and could have that rifle or its modern sibling. However, there is something about that first real rifle you get and the feeling you had when that first primer did its job.

Dave

Attached Files

Close