Bunny gun matches

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 August 2017
45ACPete posted this 24 August 2016

Was rereading back issues of TFS--did anything ever come of Ed Harris' proposals for these matches?   I don't think I gave it much thought back then but now it seems like a good idea.  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 25 August 2016

OK, I'll bite. What is the definition of a “bunny gun” that everyone would agree to comply to and what is the target, and how far and what shooting position? Assume it would only be a score event and not a group thing. Two categories...iron sights or a scope?

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Ed Harris posted this 25 August 2016

REVISED AUGUST 25 2016 - leave it this way for the online trial:

PRACTICAL SMALL GAME aka, “Rabbit Hunter” or “Bunny Gun”

This match is a fun competition encouraging use of fixed ammunition using plain-based lead bullets in light hunting rifles or handguns suitable for hunting small game, fired at short range, from practical field positions.

1) Any center-fire or rimfire single-shot or repeating rifle of weight not exceeding 7-1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or low powered scope. Sling (if desired) may be used.

2) Any center-fire or rim fire pistol or revolver, no caliber or barrel length restrictions, but handgun with sights, either iron sights or scope may not exceed 50 ozs.     IRON SIGHT class - record targets are shot at 50 FEET.  SCOPE SIGHT CLASS - record targets shot at 50 YARDS. 

3) NO restriction as to caliber. Either rimfire or center-fire firing fixed ammunition and lead bullets without a gas check.  .22 LR and WRF with lead bullets are OK, but jacketed .17 HMR, .22 WMR, are not.

4) Rifle barrels must 18 inches or longer. Muzzle diameter or measurement across the flats (if octagon) may not exceed .75”

5) Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

6) Telescopic sights used for either rifle or pistol may not exceed 6X. Variables may be taped at 6X “Honor System."

7) Modern or custom guns to follow the “spirit” of the rules, as being suitable for a farmer's or country gentleman's “walking gun”, lawman's carbine or outdoorsman's trail handgun. Stocks must be of wood. Laminated stocks are permitted, as are bedding adjustments or repairs containing fiberglass or epoxy, as long as the gun meets the weight restrictions.    NRA Lifesize Game Target Cottontail Rabbit

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641>http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641

RIFLE:

Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from any practical field position at a range of 50 YARDS. Shooting must be from off the ground and may be fired either from the prone, sitting, kneeling or standing position, shooter's choice. No hook butt plates or palm rests are permitted. A shooting sling, walking stick or cane, tree branch or crossed sticks held in the hand may be used for support. Shooters who require use of a wheel chair for mobility may use one arm of the chair for support.

HANDGUN (Pistol or Revolver):

Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from an unsupported standing position at a range of 50 FEET in the IRON sight class, and 50 YARDS in the scope sight class. A two-handed hold may be used, but no other means of support is allowed.

SCORING:

Unlimited practice shots may be taken on the marked sighter target.

Ten shots are permitted on marked record targets. If there are excessive hits the low ten shots will be scored. Shots contained completely inside the brain or heart-lung vital areas without breaking the lines count “X” used in breaking ties only. Shots breaking the lines of the vital areas score ten points each. Shots not breaking vital lines, but completely contained within the rabbit body count 8 points. Leg hits 5 points. Scratch hits touching anywhere else on rabbit including the feet, ears or tail count 1 point each.

FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS ONLINE MATCH, BUY YOUR OWN TARGETS, SHOOT THEM ON YOUR HOME RANGE, AND POST PICTURE OF YOUR TARGET WITH GUN AND LOAD INFO.

Most of all HAVE FUN!  For now lets limit people to one entry in each class, iron sighted rifle, scoped rifle, iron sighted handgun, scoped handgun.  

People can start shooting and posting targets right away and we will shut off entries on Christmas Day 2016. So, shoot'em and post'em when you've got'em!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • shjoe
Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2016

Caution....there are tw Bunny Gun matches. There is the informal prototype match that Ed fired up earlier in 2016 (targets or results due by Christmas) AND there is now a match that the CBA is offering that is a 2017 event.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • PETE
Ed Harris posted this 24 August 2016

Nothing came of it, but if people wanted to shoot their own bunny guns at 50 yards and post targets, I'd love to see 'em and would play the game.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 August 2016

Like everything else in CBA, we need somebody to ramrod the outfit. No volunteers yet.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 August 2016

yep, those ” other guys ” haven't done anything yet ...

hey, i have shot a lot of bunnies with my 30 m1 carbine with lyman 3118 slugs... can i enter that as a bunny rifle ??

anyone ??

you and me makes two to start with .....

( g )

ken

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 25 August 2016

I'll play too. I bought targets for this match several years ago, but it never got off the ground. There may be several other folks in my club that would shoot it too. 

Attached Files

here is the original proposal for the bunny gun match: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=3815&forum_id=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=3815&forumid=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match

Attached Files

Jeff Houck wrote: here is the original proposal for the bunny gun match: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=3815&forum_id=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=3815&forumid=78&highlight=bunny+gun+match Guys look at the “original” writeup vs. my revision above and indicate which you prefer. There were a few people who expressed interest in using Contender pistols, and the scope pistol class permits that, but they are not competing against the iron sight handgunners. What do you think?

Attached Files

I like the new revised version better. It's a bit less restrictive.

Attached Files

Thanks Jeff! Anybody else comments?

Attached Files

For the Contenders, and this is a “nit", for many years the standard TC barrel length was 10 1/2” or 14". The handgun silhouette guys used the expression 10” but the actual length was slightly longer. But maybe today Fox Ridge (the TC barrel supplier) offers shorter barrels?

Tom

Attached Files

How much does an iron-sighted Contender with 14” barrel weigh?  

I removed the barrel length restrictions for handgun classes.

Let the 40 ozs. with iron sights and 50-oz. with scope weight limits determine eligibility. 

Attached Files

Ed, It's been quite a few years since my IHMSA days. I do know the TC 14” model had no problem making the IHMSA Unlimited weight max. of 4.5-pounds. It was the XP-100 where much “maneuvering” was done to stay under 4.5 pounds. But...the guns winning in the Unlimited category were dominated by the XP.  Tom

Attached Files

Tom Acheson wrote: Ed, It's been quite a few years since my IHMSA days. I do know the TC 14” model had no problem making the IHMSA Unlimited weight max. of 4.5-pounds. It was the XP-100 where much “maneuvering” was done to stay under 4.5 pounds. But...the guns winning in the Unlimited category were dominated by the XP.  Tom Spirit of the Rules?  Handgun Weight Limit Discussion 

72 ozs. = 4.5 lbs.  I don't think very many people carry an 1847 Colt Walker Model? NO!

50 ozs. = 3.125 lbs.  - think this is a realistic upper limit for an “Outdoorsman's Pistol."

40 ozs. = 2.5 lbs.  - this lets in a Colt Single-Action .32-20 with 7-1/2” barrel!

Attached Files

Ed, Do we care about the 8 3/8” S&W Model 57 @ 56 oz. or the Model 29, slightly lighter? My Model 58 with 4” barrel is about 40 oz. with fixed sights. Tom

Attached Files

I have a M-1 Carbine and “a few” handguns. I might want to try this. I might even try to get it started. The current CBA Postal #21 (Timed Fire Handgun) and #22 (BPCR silhouette) were initiated by me. 

There are 50 targets in pack so the first cycle of this would probably take care of 25 shooters (2 targets per shooter, one a sighter and one a record target). A tech data sheet would need to be made, not too hard.

Based upon the turnout the CBA might be talked into adding it to the “Postal shopping list". I'd have to talk that over with Mike Kastning, the CBA Postal Director. He would need to find a volunteer scorer to handle that task.

Once the first season is over and the participation is measured, to start things off for the first “official” year of CBA activity, we would probably want to consider a one time event. If there is a lot of interest, we could then do a seasonal thing, 1 target due May, June, July and August in subsequent years.

Tom

Attached Files

Let's invite people to discuss the iron sight weight limit.

If the spirit.of the match is a field gun, how many people really tote a 60-oz. pistol?

Attached Files

Agree, Ed! 

I was just using the XP-100 as a frame of reference. Not too many rabbits would like to get blasted by those things!

Attached Files

50 ozs. would allow 6” S&W 29 or 5-1/2” Ruger Super BH.

60 ozs. would permit 7-1/2” SBH or Super RH.

Maybe the 4.5 lbs. for scope class.

Discussion?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close