Bunny gun matches

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 August 2017
45ACPete posted this 24 August 2016

Was rereading back issues of TFS--did anything ever come of Ed Harris' proposals for these matches?   I don't think I gave it much thought back then but now it seems like a good idea.  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GWarden posted this 02 August 2017

Norma Tac 22 for Bunny Gun match.

We are all aware that each rifle is individual in the loads it likes. I tried some Norma Tac 22 in my .22's for the Bunny Gun match. This is the first .22 ammo that all of my rifles like, they all shot exceptionally well. In my Marlin 39A with a Burris 6X compact scope, it is shooting 5 shot groups at 50 yards that are phenomenal. My agg. of 5 shot groups is running a bit under .4", many bolt rifles won't do this. Sometimes Brownells and Midway run specials on this ammo. Worth giving it a try, it doesn't work in semi auto's from all the reviews that are posted. Have a great day.

Bob

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 01 February 2017

4060may,

This is based on memory...

This Postal has an event planned for each month through Sept. This is much more extensive that what the CBA Postal program does but is designed to have a lot of variety and be fun!

January - Snowshoe Bunny, entries above Mason-Dixon line unless below freezing or you have snow!

February - Ladies Only Valentine Bunny

March – Spring Ice Breaker - New Shooter’s and Juniors Only – Juniors Under Age 18

April  - Retiree’s Revenge – Retired Codgers over age 65

May - Military Rifle, Service Pistol or Revolver weight limit is suspended this month for Memorial Day

June – Regular Monthly Match

July – Independence Day Bunny - Muzzleloading Rifle, Cap & Ball Revolver or Pistol  NO Weight Limit!

August – Regular Monthly Match

September – Regular Monthly Match

October – no match, you have had time to practice and should be out hunting Rascally Wabbits!

November – no match, you should be out deer hunting! December  -  no match, Merry Christmas!

Fee is $6 per entry which includes a record score target and a sighter/practice target

I have a sign-up form. Send me an e-mail with e-mail address. I send you the sign-up form (pdf). You send that with the fees to the CBA Postal Director Mike Kastning. He sends you your targets and Tech Data Sheet(s). You get them shot by the deadline and then send the fired targets and Tech Data sheets to me. I score them and send the results to Mike. The results will show up in the Fouling Shot sometime after September. But if that seems too long to wait, maybe I can post the scores once a month here. We'll see.

[email protected]

Tom

Attached Files

4060may posted this 01 February 2017

Tom

Are you handling this postal match?

I have targets, or will you supply them?

where do I send the money?

Already sent the money for match #22

Chuck

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 31 January 2017

The CBA outdoor bench rest rules allow scopes on all guns except the “Issue” category of Military. It would be very difficult to shoot the Traditional Bench Rest targets with iron sights, especially at 200-yards!

The CBA Postal events have iron and scoped sight categories. Some are iron only and some are scoped only and some you make a choice between the two and shoot only against others using similar sights.

Here is some data that may or may not be helpful.

Excerpts from the Bunny Gun rules:

Any single-shot or repeating rifle, either center-fire or rim-fire, weight not to exceed 7- 1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or hunting scope not to exceed 6X.  (Variables may be taped at 6X). A sling may be used. No fore-end stops, adjustable butt plates, adjustable comb or palm rests allowed. Two categories, IRON SIGHT and SCOPE.

Any pistol or revolver, of any caliber or barrel length, weight not to exceed 50 ozs. IRON SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 FEET. SCOPE SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 YARDS.

Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

From the internet NRA Bullseye/Conventional Pistol/2700 rules area:

There are three basic categories:

Open---telescopic sights are allowed

Metallic---iron sights only

Production---has some exceptions, a few of which are seen below:

The following modifications are prohibited: a) Milling of slide, slide ports are allowed on only factory- original approved models. b) Custom-shop fi rearms. c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm are prohibited, front adjustable sights. d) Peep, ghost, optical, electronic, Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights. e) Thumb rest grips or magazines extensions. f) Compensators ported or weighted barrels. g) Single Action Semi- Auto Pistols are prohibited. h) Orthopedic style grips are prohibited.

I'm with Ed on this. If there is “glass” in the sight assembly then it should be shot in the “scoped sight” category.

Tom

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 January 2017

i regard the red dots as a 1-power scope .  and there are some red dots with magnification .

ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 January 2017

I don't have a current NRA rulebook, but IIRC, the red dot sights are classed with other “optical” sights, and I am inclined to put them in the scope category.  I don't know if CBA designates them otherwise for other postal or attended matches, but if there is an existing policy, we should be consistent.  If CBA has not decided, but NRA has, my feeling is that we should be consistent with whatever a published NRA rulebook says until we gain enough experience to feel it is OIK to change that. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 31 January 2017

I am soon to be retired (two weeks and counting) and would like to begin participating in the postal matches.  I have read the schedule, read the rules, read the 2+ year old primer and am still uncertain how or where to start.  I currently cast and shoot 9mm, 38/357and 45LC in pistols as well as 38-55, 45LC and 45-70 in rifle. My first retirement project is to start casting for my .270 and my .243.  I ask the experienced among you -- where do I start?

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 31 January 2017

Count me in. Do I have to send for targets or can I use the ones I have? 

Sam

Attached Files

harleyrock posted this 31 January 2017

R.Dupraz

Thanks for that correction of my false assumption regarding red dot sights.

I have absolutely no experience with handgun or rifle competition; never competed; never attended, but this bunny gun postal match sounds interesting.  I'll have to give it a try.

Harleyrock

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 30 January 2017

harleyrock:

You are not at a disadvantage at all with those red dots. About the time I quit shooting indoor gallery and outdoor three gun pistol, the red dots on match pistols began to be used in local and national competition. Even by national champions. And they shot match-winning scores. And some of the pistol shooters that I hung around with in those days were distinguished pistol shots. I have a red dot here that I mounted on my K-22 for the same reason and would use it in a heart beat.  

Attached Files

harleyrock posted this 30 January 2017

I am no longer able to shoot pistols with iron sights with these old eyes.  I have a S&W 14-3 (K38) and a S&W V-22 Victory .22RF with Burris Fast Fire III red dot sights.  These sights would be at a disadvantage against scoped pistols.  Would the red dot sights be classified as scoped for this Bunny Gun competition?

Harleyrock

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 30 January 2017

Tom

Three applications for the bunny gun match on the way, myself, son-in-law and grandson. This will be a great family thing to enjoy together.

Bob

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 30 January 2017

Here is a minor update for the potential Bunny Gun Postal shooters.

To date neither me nor Mike Kastning (CBA Postal Director) have had anyone sign-up for this new one. It is not listed in the CBA Postal booklet but it is available.

FWIW

Tom

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 23 December 2016

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 23 December 2016

Shot these today, S&W model 34 @ 50 ft and a CZ 452 American @ 50 yards prone

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 18 December 2016

Caution....there are tw Bunny Gun matches. There is the informal prototype match that Ed fired up earlier in 2016 (targets or results due by Christmas) AND there is now a match that the CBA is offering that is a 2017 event.

Tom

Oh hey, that's cool. Just realized the rifle I was gonna a enter will not be legal since it has a plastic stock. Good excuse for a little rolling blck 32 long.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 18 December 2016

Tom

Good news, thanks for getting this set up for 2017. Have a 9yr. of grandson that I can get introduced to CBA postals, this will be the match for that.

Bob

Attached Files

PETE posted this 18 December 2016

Tom,

Good news that the BG match will be held as a regular CBA match next year. Do you know when the new 2017  schedule will be posted?

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2016

Caution....there are tw Bunny Gun matches. There is the informal prototype match that Ed fired up earlier in 2016 (targets or results due by Christmas) AND there is now a match that the CBA is offering that is a 2017 event.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • PETE
jeff houck posted this 18 December 2016

Where are all the pictures that were posted with our emails? Do we need to re-attach them?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close