SIG-Sauer P230 .380 ACP

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 11 August 2016
Ed Harris posted this 10 August 2016

A retired cop buddy of mine has owned a P230 ever since they came out in the late 1970s and he likes it very much.  He found it a flat, dependable DA autoloader he could wear as backup under his body armor.  This model was made from 1977-1999 when it was replaced by the P232.

The blued model has a light alloy frame and weighs 17 ozs.  the stainless model is all steel and heavier.  Size is similar to a Walther PP.

Anyway, on Lloyd's recommendation I won one on a GunBroker auction, which is on the way. Price for a used gun was about a bit more than half of what a real German Walther PP .380 in similar condition would be.

Online reviews suggested that the P230 had feeding issues with JHPs, but Lloyd says his has always run anything.  He contends that the current P232 which replaced it is fatter and less concealable, due to bigger grips, has bigger sights which are more likely to snag on things and generally was made “cheaper, but not better." 

Any owners, users, opinions out there?  Will report when the pistol gets here.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 10 August 2016

I bought one in about 1980 when I was doing arson investigations on the FD. It cycled everything I used in it, either lead RN for practice or ball WW. It was in the turnout coat pocket, or a small of back outside waist band holster. I was too big for me to carry concealed, just too thick. It found a home with one of the PD's Lieutenants who was 6'4” and 250 pounds as a back-up to his 10MM Delta. It was very well made and shot well, but I went back to the Colt Agent I had been using for 10 years by that time.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 August 2016

That's helpful info.

Lloyd said the aftermarket Hogue grips were too thick, but the original German police plastic ones were thinner. He liked P230 because it was more comfortable under body armor than having the cylinder bulge of a revolver.

Will be interesting to do side-by-side width, height, length, weight comparison with my 7.65 mm Walther PP.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 August 2016

I think it depends upon your history. Cylinder bulge I could deal with; those hooky things at the rear of the frame to stop slide tracks dig into my short ribs. But then, I'm only 5'8” and short-waisted, so taller guys didn't have my issue. Plus we didn't wear body armor until the second drug war in 1984 -1989, so prior to that we were in uniform shirts and garrison belts.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 August 2016

I sold one of these recently that I had for many years. I got rid of a Walther PPK that put railroad tracks on my hand every time I fired it. Talk about leading to a flinch. The SS P230 NEVER bit me one little bit.

I found it reliable and a decent size to shoot as well as a “no never mind” to carry in a waist holster.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 August 2016

I got a nasty slide bite from my .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat firing the 31-090B bullet at a velocity just shy of 900 fps with 3 grains of AutoComp.

Took 9 stitches! I remembered firing a PP in .380 years ago which bit me, which is why I stuck to .32 ACP for my Walthers, but the SIG P230 was highly recommended by two long-time LE users, so I felt that if I wanted a modern, decocker/SA/DA full-sized .380 carry gun it was the natural choice.

Attached Files

Close