Why 45-45-10 ?

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 04 August 2016
Eutectic posted this 01 August 2016

Looking at all the cooking down of Johnson's wax and use of liquid JW to dilute LLA made me wonder if this is all to get a little carnauba wax into diluted LLA to get a harder coating. Carnauba is one of the hardest waxes which is why Johnson's and other waxes use it as a primary ingredient. I have a bottle of carnauba, maybe a test is wanting?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
highstandard40 posted this 01 August 2016

Pure carnauba is a solid, brittle wax,not a liquid. Any liquid that touts carnauba will have it as a small part of it's makeup and you have to decide if the other ingredients in the “liquid” would benefit your bullet lube. I have some pure carnauba and use it in my bullet lube. It was purchased from a candle supply.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 01 August 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6924>Eutectic

There is a newer recipe that requires no cooking and utilizes Johnson's LIQUID Floor Wax plus Lee LLA and makes a tumble lube essentially equal to 45:45:10 tumble lube. It is just a measure and mix. Someone will hopefully pop on and give the name and ratios. It sounds terrific to me, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I still have over a half gallon White's Deluxe 45:45:10.

The recipe yields a tumble lube with an equal amount of carnuba  wax to 45:45:10 home mixed to the original cooked recipe, and also dries nearly clear and tack free in minutes if you warm bullets and lube. Of course, air dry works fine and takes ~30 minutes.

Tumble lube works well for me and anything that makes it simpler and easier while keeping it's effectiveness is always a plus.

Carnuba works well with solvents and conditioners to make liquid tumble lube for cast bullets. Carnuba is a wax made from the leaves of a specific Palm variety.

Although the original Alox refinery is in my neighborhood, I have always believed that Alox is actually completely natural in occurrence and comes from a specific deposit in California's Le Brea Tar Pits. There are similar deposits in the oil rich states of America. The refinery takes particles out of the tar that are non petroleum dissolve-able. A high grade tar oil is the result. So, Palm leaves and Dinosaurs make good bullet lube.

Gary

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 August 2016

When I was at Ruger we bulk lubed cast bullets with Johnson 700 draw wax, which is the same material as Lee case lube. White, the consistency of mayonaisse, water soluable.

Glo-Coat floor wax is the same stuff. Water emulsion of carnuba.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 02 August 2016

I should have said my bottle of carnauba is hard brown flakes. The ALOX products are made by controlled oxidation of fossilized dinosaur toenails. Great Stuff :)

I tried straight carnauba but the coating was so hard the bullets expanded the case and the rounds would not chamber. Coating lubes have to be soft!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 August 2016

if you are expanding cases with tumble Lube you should review your application procedure and compare it to the product instructions. General tumble lube application is less than 1 one thousandth of an inch even with two coats.  Tumble Lube is a Surface lubrication it only needs to coat the surface lightly And evenly.

Gary

Attached Files

harleyrock posted this 03 August 2016

The “new” lube Onondaga mentioned is called BLL “Ben's Liquid Lube".  It is 60% LLA and 40% SC Johnson's One Step No Buff wax.  It is my understanding that SC Johnson is no longer making this product.  I went to Home Depot on Monday (2 days ago) and there was none available.  I then went to Lowe's and they had one bottle and when I asked the clerk if they had any more she scanned it and said it was no longer in the computer.  I took the bottle that I got to the check out register and when the bottle was scanned by the clerk for the price nothing came up.  He took it to the office and when he came back he charged $3.00. It had been selling for around $8.00, he had no idea what it's price was because they no longer stock it. This shortage/ discontinuation of One Step was discussed on another forum or thread and posters there had been hoarding all they could get.  I got all I could get, too, one bottle.  It is no longer available on Amazon either. Fortunately it takes very little of this lube to give a proper coat on a bullet, so my bottle will last me for a long time.  Or until something better comes along.

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 August 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8992>harleyrock

Thankyou for your info!

Gary

Attached Files

res45 posted this 04 August 2016

I mixed up a batch of the 45/45/10 a couple years ago and still have more than I will probably ever use.  I warm both my bullets and lube prior to applying it and it goes on more evenly and thinner with no clumps like you can get on cold bullets.  I have a new can of the JPW paste wax if I ever need to make more.

If you can't find the wax or just don't want to mess with making your own 45/45/10 you can buy it premixed here from Lar's at  http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31>http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?mainpage=productinfo&productsid=31

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

Close