Roll Crimp

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 04 August 2016
6pt-sika posted this 27 July 2016

I am in the middle of deciding whether to join a hunt club that's primarily a hound/shotgun/buckshot group . And while I've done relatively well with buckshot in recent years I don't use it in the way it was meant to be used as far as deer hunting/shooting is concerned . I around here use it from a treestand almost the way someone would use a bow . Shots are generally held to 25 yards or less and 95% of the time at stationary targets . And my buckshot handloads all follow a rule of using the REM SP-10 wad . Since I plan to use my double 10's if I join this club I thought it might be in my best intrest to use a more classic loading of buckshot IE no SP-10 wad and a roll crimp . And that way I could hopefully come up with some loads with variouse sizes that pattern decently at 50 yards . What I'm after may not be doable . I am sure I can get the desired results with #1 , 2 and 3 Buck out of the full choke guns but I'd prefer it be 0 , 00 or possibly 000 . Anyone here had any luck doing the roll crimp thing ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 04 August 2016

rjmeyer314 wrote: I use a 10 gauge load for damascus suggested by Ross Seyfried which consists of a sp10 wad, a plastic case trimmed to 2 7/8", 1 1/4 oz shot and 30(?) gr SR7625. I have used it in both fold-crimped cases and roll crimped cases. I prefer the roll crimp since I haven't mastered skiving cases yet. I haven't used buckshot, only bird shot. I also have a load for my fluid steel Ithaca 2 7/8” 10 gauge that is roll crimped.You're using the same load I started with and it came from the same person .In the Handloader mag article I got it from he only mentioned the load for birdshot . But so far it's done relatively well for Bismuth , buckshot and slugs . I do not deviate from that load as I also have a Ithaca NID Super 10 with fluid steel barrels . My safe contains 6 other Damascus barreled 10 gauge guns including the one that started it all , my grandfathers circa 1881 W&C Scott hammerless back action gun just like the one Seyfried has in the Handloader article . The skivving thing I don't worry about to much . I cut new cases on a bandsaw with a wooden jig I made then take a pocket knife and kida ream the inside . And so far my handloads have worked nicely with the folded crimp .

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 04 August 2016

I use a 10 gauge load for damascus suggested by Ross Seyfried which consists of a sp10 wad, a plastic case trimmed to 2 7/8", 1 1/4 oz shot and 30(?) gr SR7625. I have used it in both fold-crimped cases and roll crimped cases. I prefer the roll crimp since I haven't mastered skiving cases yet. I haven't used buckshot, only bird shot. I also have a load for my fluid steel Ithaca 2 7/8” 10 gauge that is roll crimped.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 July 2016

offhand35 wrote:  BP offers the roll crimp tool in a wide range of sizes, including 10ga8 gauge to 410 !

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 28 July 2016

I have used the Roll Crimp tool from Ballistic Products with lots of success! All but one of my shotguns are 65mm (2 1/2, 2 9/16") chambered 16GA. I use the tool for all my hunting loads and for 16ga Dangerous Game Slugs and round ball slugs as my MEC loader is setup for 65mm trap loads. This can be used in a handheld drill, but works best on a drill press. BP offers the roll crimp tool in a wide range of sizes, including 10ga. The only thing extra that you would need would be paper overshot cards to place on top of the load before crimping.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 July 2016

45 2.1 wrote: I have an old Lyman 10 gauge roll crimper, about 80 some odd years old and untried by me as of yet (but reserved for the old short paper hulls I have). I always have good luck with #4 buck and plastic wads that are only slit halfway down.There's a young fellow that works in the shop who's dad collects old shotgun reloading tools . I asked him to see if his dad had and old style roll crimping tool and if I could borrow it to try before I invest in BPI roll crimpers for a drill press . I also finger uhm fondled a Beneli SBE2 today for about 30 minutes . Thankfully the gun has a 28” barrel which is a turn off to me . If I get one I prefer it to have a 24” barrel .

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 28 July 2016

I have an old Lyman 10 gauge roll crimper, about 80 some odd years old and untried by me as of yet (but reserved for the old short paper hulls I have). I always have good luck with #4 buck and plastic wads that are only slit halfway down.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 July 2016

British Manual For Home Guard (1941) speaks of using melted “candle grease", (tallow?) poured over each layer to bind shot together like a slug. They were doing this with birdshot, but should work fine with smaller buckshot. A single wrap of bond paperaround the shot column should also help hold the pattern together for a short while, but readily disintegrate upon bore exit.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 July 2016

I'm hoping with a mylar or Teflon wrap for the buckshot and buffered that I can get the larger buck pellets to stay together fairly well out to 50 yards in the 10 gauge guns . Might even deviate from my normal 30 grains of SR7625 as well . I could do this as well with a normal crimp but I thought if I was going to do it I might as well go whole hog so to speak . I had contemplated going to a Remington SP-10 semi auto or a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 but for some reason the thought of using a semi auto doesn't call me like using my old SxS guns :cool:

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 July 2016

Many years ago I did the roll crimp thing for a Damascus 16-bore AlexHenry underlever double, using an old Ideal roll crimp head spun in a drill press. I never used anything but paper cases and black powder and stuck to 2-1/2 drams of 2Fg and 1oz. of 7-1/2s or 6s. Best top wad was cut from the bottom of a Styrofoam meat tray, perforated in an “X” pattern with a fork, to encourage break-up of the top wad in the barrel.

Both barrels were cylinder bore and threw even Skeet patterns which killed alot of rabbits and grouse until I sold the gun to a fellow who used it to build a light .38-55 and 16-bore Cape Gun. Sad to say I have no pictures of it, but the gun is probably still in New Hampshire somewhere.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close