Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP/45Colt

• Last Post 27 May 2016
Eutectic posted this 21 May 2016

The latest Rifleman has the new Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP/45Colt which unlike previous Blackhawk 45 ACP/45Colt conversions does not have two cylinders. I wondered how they managed with the difference in the rim thickness 0.090 vs 0.060. Naturally no nearby guns shop has seen one yet. The chamber has got to accommodate the longer 45 Colt so the bullet jump for the 45 ACP will be huge. Probably not a good deal for cast bullets.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 21 May 2016

Expect that outer circumference of cylinder has moon clip clearance and .45 Colt rounds headspace on extractor. Early India model Service Sixes which would fire 9x19 with clips and .38 S&W or. 380 Mk2z were done the same way. Roy Melcher developed it but Ruger held the patent.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 21 May 2016

Both of you are wrong...........

The back cylinder face is recessed to about where the 2/3 point of the cartridge diameter from the center for a thinner than normal moon clip. From that point on out it is full cylinder length to head space the Colt case. No problem with either cartridge. The moon clips (3 of them) are easy to load AND BEND if you're not careful. John Taffin did an excellent write up of it in one of the gun rags recently with quite reasonable 2” to 2.5” at 25 yard accuracy. My results mimic'd his. It's a quite nice handling revolver.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 22 May 2016

Thanks, Good to know, my stock of standard moon clips would not work. I thought it might be tempting, still would like to see one.

Steve

Attached Files

mckg posted this 24 May 2016

Steve, there's a few pictures here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-RH45ACP.htm http://www.realguns.com/articles/728.htm

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 27 May 2016

From what I've read auto-rim brass won't work. Nice gun.

Attached Files

Close