New 45-200O Large Meplat 200-grain Cowboy Bullet from Accurate

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 15 March 2016
Ed Harris posted this 11 March 2016

A traditional style bullet with modern enhancements.

Weight 200 grains, head length 0.3", meplat 0.3” diameter, seating depth base to crimp groove 0.2", overall bullet length 0.5"

Large meplat improves stopping power and is tube magazine safe.

Shallow seating depth reduces “jump” in revolver throats.

Bevel base aids straight seating.

Crimp groove for revolver and tubular magazine use (serves as extra lube groove in .45 ACP, as you may need to seat bullet deeper to clear the origin of rifling upon chambering)

Radiussed nose without sharp corners and long nose aids smooth and reliable feeding in leverguns.

Use 4 to 4.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Cowboy Special or Auto Rim

Use 5 to 5.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Schofield

Use 6-7 grains of Bullseye in .45 Colt.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
oscarflytyer posted this 11 March 2016

well crud, was hoping it was a 44 bullet for 44-40... then went back and realized 45 WAS in the subject!  guess I have a 44 200 on the brain for my new 44-40 revolver...

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 March 2016

Accurate has a bunch of .44-40 bullets.

IF you used the 45-200O profile and length no changes other than simply having the diameters reduced for a .44-40 bullet, THAT is an easy do and you could order it online by catalog number and just specify what you want for alloy and diameter in the notes section.

But depending upon your cylinder length the 0.3” head length in .44-40 brass of max length would be about 1.60+, a bit longer than factory and could cause problems.  

Also, a .44 bullet of the same profile would be about 92% of the weight of a .45, say 185 grains give or take.  You could specify making both driving bands about 0.30 wider, while reducing nose length to 0.295 to stay within SAAMI .44-40 overall length dimensions while bringing the weight up closer to 200 grains.  That would be a GOOD looking .44 bullet!

Or for an off the shelf design Tom has a bunch of existing .44-40 bullets to choose from. The 43-200Y resembles the RCBS cowboy bullet.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 March 2016

FYI, also newly listed in Accurate online catalog is 45-198T which has Lee-style tumble lube grooves and somewhat heavier base band, shorter overall length of 0.48” with HUGE .315 meplat!

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 14 March 2016

Ed, have you or anyone else tried this in a 1911? I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it feeds well in 1911 pistols that have not had at least a little polishing on the feed ramp. I say that because the H&G 68 is a real good feeder, and this bullet does not look like the H&G 68 much. That said, apparently it's “little brother” works well in 9mms.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 March 2016

Ed Harris wrote: A traditional style bullet with modern enhancements.

Weight 200 grains, head length 0.3", meplat 0.3” diameter, seating depth base to crimp groove 0.2", overall bullet length 0.5"

Large meplat improves stopping power and is tube magazine safe.

Shallow seating depth reduces “jump” in revolver throats.

Bevel base aids straight seating.

Crimp groove for revolver and tubular magazine use (serves as extra lube groove in .45 ACP, as you may need to seat bullet deeper to clear the origin of rifling upon chambering)

Radiussed nose without sharp corners and long nose aids smooth and reliable feeding in leverguns.

Use 4 to 4.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Cowboy Special or Auto Rim

Use 5 to 5.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Schofield

Use 6-7 grains of Bullseye in .45 Colt.

Starting to like your wide meplats ED. Wondering if I could boost the weight up to 250 grs. for my .45 Colt? Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 March 2016

The 45-245D was designed for .45 Auto Rim, but gives 1.66” OAL when crimped in .45 Colt brass. That works fine in my restored Sewer Pipe gun with 1.70” long cylinder, or in New Model Rugers on the Super Blackhawk frame, but not in Colts or clones.

I'm sure if you wanted to order one with the nose and crimp groove placement of 45-200O, but with wider driving bands and base band to bring weight to to 250 grains, Tom at Accurate can plug that into his CAD program and send you a drawing for approval. I ask about making changes to existing designs all the time.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 March 2016

M3 Mitch wrote: Ed, have you or anyone else tried this in a 1911? I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it feeds well in 1911 pistols that have not had at least a little polishing on the feed ramp. I say that because the H&G 68 is a real good feeder, and this bullet does not look like the H&G 68 much. That said, apparently it's “little brother” works well in 9mms. The shape should feed OK, but an issue may be whether the tapered nose will impinge against the rifling origin of a typical .45 ACP barrel.  Whether it does will depend upon alloy and how worn the barrel is.  A friend has an M1911 with new Storm Lake barrel, so when the mold arrives I'll make some dummies to hand cycle and if they work, we'll load up a few. If you would like to try a few in yours before ordering a mold, PM me with your snail mail address and I can send you a few when the mold arrives.  Agree sure would be nice to know.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 15 March 2016

I have the 45-245D mold made to the drafting shown in the on line catalog.  I have shot this in a USFA single action 45 colt without problems.  It does fill the cylilnder though.  I bought the mold with the intension of using the design for 45 ACP in the same USFA for which I have the second cylinder.  Should have ordered it for a 0.452 diamter cast as this is the throat diameter on the 45 caliber revolvers I have.  Accuracy is as good as any other design I cast.  The 38 caliber version is equally good for me as well.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 March 2016

Which .38 do you have? 36-155D, 178D or 193D?

The 155D is my favorite. Improved replica of Modern Bond ca. 1920s for .38 Colt Special.Two cavities on my mold are hollow-pointed by http://www.hollowpointmold.com>http://www.hollowpointmold.com to 146 grains.  I load 2.5 grains of Bullseye in the .38 S&W, 3.5 grains in the .38 Special and 4.5 grains in the .357 Mag. New Model Ruger, to fit the long cylinder.  The .357 is fine in the single-shot rifles, but OAL is too long to feed in the Marlin Cowboy unless loaded in .38 Special brass.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 15 March 2016

36-155D. And I agree with your opinion. Accurate in all of the 38 specials I shoot when tumbled with Rooster Jacket.

Attached Files

Close