Mineral Spirits

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 29 May 2016
lmcollins posted this 03 March 2016

I am still using up a gallon of old fashioned Mineral Spirits that has “stink.” Does anyone know what the difference chemically between the two products is? Has anyone found any difference in the two products when used in lubes? How do you “de-stink” something like this that is refined from petroleum? It must be the near dregs of refining. Does odorless evaporate, etc. Like the odored?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 03 March 2016

Search for MSDS files on odorless mineral spirits and regular. That will answer a lot of your questions.

I have used both for making 45:45:10 tumble lube, evaporation rates seem the same but the MSDS would tell exactly. The smell difference between the two favors odorless even if it costs 3 times as much.

WD40 added to regular mineral spirits helps some with odor but again odorless is well worth more. Petroleum products in general smell horrid without at least a strong cover scent. Example: WD40 has a powerful cover scent that cannot be erased from your mind's smell memory. You can smell it even if you just say WD40.

If you also plan to use  mineral spirits for a cleaning solvent for gun parts also, The odorless works just as well and is not obnoxious to smell. But the repeated breathing of vapors from either has a narcotic and toxic effect.

Gary

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 29 May 2016

Only difference I've found is $5.00...

Attached Files

Close