Temp effects on Liquid Alox?

• Last Post 02 March 2016
R. Dupraz posted this 02 March 2016

Does a wide variation in temperature, 40-80 degrees, effect the lubeing characteristics of thinned LA?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 02 March 2016

RD I used the home made 45-45-10 version for most of the testing in the 308 thread.  I also used it for the first 300 or so rounds of a test with a 300 BLK these last 2 months.  This shooting was all below 40 degrees  so is background info only.  But I finally switched to a traditional lube  two weeks ago.  I didn't like the build up in the barrel and it seemed as though the barrel had to be kept quite warm to maintain accuracy.  Obvious, even if I am right, this shouldn't be that big of a problem in warmer temperatures.

I am going to give it a try again this spring.  I am thinking I will use Ed's Red frequently in an attempt to keep the fouling build up under control.  One guys opinion - I still like the stuff just maybe not for matches. Jim

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 March 2016

Thanks JHS: What prompted the question is that I have been checking out a new to me 7-30 Waters super 14” barrel on my TC Contender pistol for the last six weeks or so. And have been lubing with LA thinned 50/50 with Johnson's liquid floor wax. Just using the mixture up, from another experiment a while back. The other day, I added some paint thinner to cut the LA more yet.     So far, things have been working well and have been getting some very nice groups at fifty yds when the temps have been in the 40's or so. But began to wonder if I'm just wasting lead and primers right now. Or will I have to do everything again after  the temps warms up.     So, thought that I would just throw the question out to see what the responses were. But I guess any time on the range is better than time in the cabin.    

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 March 2016

if you follow the match results in TFS, you notice several shooters in the northwest doing ...impressive ... things with hunter/production rifles .... i wish they would jump on this forum and tell us all their secrets ... ( g ) ...

one of those guys was lloyd de vore, ....he mentioned to me one day that warm days take harder lubes.... colder days take softer lubes ..

at that time i wasn't shooting anything that could tell the difference ....

heh, and it might be a theory he had.....maybe a playful crumb for an ignorant duffer ...

but when a guy sets national records ....maybe his words are worth considering ...

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 March 2016

RD That is the mix I am  using except I used mineral spirits rather than paint thinner.  Is there really a difference????  I still use the stuff to lube bullets before bumping or sizing in a Lee die.  Then I rinse the bullets with mineral spirits and  lube conventionally.  this all sounds like more work than it is. Jim

Attached Files

Close