carbide checkering cutters

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 18 March 2016
porthos posted this 27 February 2016

looking for any carbide cutters that anyone has laying around and doesn't use. the hand cutters not the rotary machine type. they are no longer produced. brownells used to carry them. some don't like them. I do and mine are getting dull. porthos

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MarkinEllensburg posted this 15 March 2016

Can you sharpen them? I've always used the Gunline cutters, not that I've checkered lots but enough to get good when I had better eye sight.

Attached Files

porthos posted this 15 March 2016

no. carbide checkering cutters cannot be sharpened. that is to say that no one will sharpen them. a person that made them quit doing so and offered a sharpening service. but from what I read; it turned into a nightmare for those that  sent the cutters to him and they were never done.

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 18 March 2016

Right or wrong... my method is to use Gunline cutters. Start with master lines, second line with a two line cutter. the rest of the layout with a three line cutter. I then switch back to a two line cutter and cut two passes which gets about half depth. I then go to near final depth with a v-edger. And finish with a long pointer or Short pointer. I see that cutters are now near $8 each. I treat them as disposable.:jawdrop:

Attached Files

Close