7.62X25 TOKAREV MILD LEAD BULLET LOADS?

• 4.8K Views
  • Last Post 02 March 2016
FRED J. WAHL posted this 30 January 2016

Hi, All,      I have a CZ-52 pistol in 7.62X25 Tokarev, and am trying to put together some mild loads for it, using cast bullets-- I have two .30 Cal. Lee molds which drop bullets at .309, at around 100 Grains.   I"ve tried using .308 .30 Cal. 110. Gr. FMJ  Carbine bullets in the Tokarev, but found the ogive and diameter on them is too small and tapered to get a good grip in the short-necked Tokarev cases. Plus, reloading info in this caliber is very sparse, the only loads I've found are in Lee's Reloading books--   Does anyone have some good, mild  reload data using lead bullets that you would share, so I can get started loading up this batch of 7.62X25 cases?   Thanks for any and all replies,Fred (Honcho)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bsavictor500 posted this 02 March 2016

In my cz52 I use M1 carbine Lyman Mold 311359 with gas check sized .313 about 120 grains with 3.5 grains red dot. I have tried other powders but this worked best for me. My gun is like new bore is perfect. Hope this helps. Vince

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 February 2016

R. Dupraz wrote: FRED:   While searching for some other loads in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition, I Just ran across a page on loading cast in the 7.62 Tokarev. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.236 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 February 2016

FRED:   While searching for some other loads in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition, I Just ran across a page on loading cast in the 7.62 Tokarev.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 February 2016

Ed, My C96 is 100 years old this year. When I take it out to play, I am pretty careful about what loads it gets. They are all put up in “30 Mauser” stamped cases. The Tokarov gets proper cases from Starline using the original load data from Accurate for #7 which is 7.5 grains, the start load. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 February 2016

The Lyman #2 should be OK if the bullet “fits.” Limiting factor is chamber neck diameter and case capacity. The people who try to reform 5.56 military brass have the most problems with thick necks and reduced case capacity which causes problems.

Starline and PPU brass work fine in my pistol with .311 bullets. I would try a few of the 5 grain Bullseye load with your 100-grain bullet and see if it cycles.  The RCBS Little Dandy Measure Rotor #10 in my set throws 5.2 grains of current Bullseye and I think is what Lyman used for their data.  Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.236 lists the 85-grain #313249 with top load being 5.2 grains of Bullseye for 1409 fps in Starline brass with Remington 1-1/2 primers at 1.29” OAL firing in a CZ52 with 4.7” barrel and .310 groove diameter, which is fairly typical of the guns I have examined.  The 5.5 grain load with the 87-grain Accurate bullet was very uniform, giving 1420 fps with an Sd of only 8 fps over a 10-shot series.  It also shoots to the fixed sights.  Can't ask for anything more!

In MY CZ52 PPU Ball gave 1414 fps and S-B Ball 1699 fps!   I would not shoot the Sellier & Bellot in a Tokarev!   The 100-grain Hornady half-jacket with 5 grains of Bullseye gave 1240 fps and in my pistol did NOT cycle. Similarly Accurate 31-087T with 5 grains of Bullseye gave 1246 fps and did NOT cycle.  In my CZ52 5.5 grains was the minimum with 31-087T to reliably cycle 100 rounds with no bobbles.  There was some light, steady-state leading which didn't affect accuracy and which was easily removed with a bronze brush and Kroil.

With 93-grain Norma .309” FMJ, 6 grains of Bullseye with Federal 200 primer at 1.28” in Starline brass gave 1493 fps, 12 Sd and shot to the sights. The Hornady 90-grain .308' XTP also shoots well with this charge.  This is a full grain over published data for the .30 Mauser so should be considered maximum.  My CZ52 loves that for a full-charge “Ball Ammo” equivalent!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

FRED J. WAHL posted this 01 February 2016

Hey, Ed,Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware that Starline made brass for the Tok., will have to order some in, once my present stock is worn out!I have some #2 Alloy, from Missouri Bullet co. which should be hard enough for the Tok., have you run into any leading problem, in the bore with that load? Backing off on the Bullseye a bit with the 100 Grain bullets should still take care of the slide function, I was also wondering about that-- This is the first time I've reloaded a bottle-necked pistol cartridge, and I didn't get to be 78+ years old by being careless, so I figured I'd ask someone who has “Been there, done that"! I never was a “magnum” shooter, figuring all that does is put more wear and tear on your firearms, and you, but realize that the .30 Mauser and 7.62 Tok. cartridges are fast cartridges and likely have a parameter they need for good slide function.I'll try your advice, and thanks again!Fred (Honcho)

Attached Files

mckg posted this 31 January 2016

http://makarov.com/tokloaddata.htm

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 January 2016

In my CZ52 I load the Accurate 31-087T sized .311” with 5.5 grains of Bullseye for 1420 fps. This is about 1/2 grain above what Lyman recommends in the .30 Mauser.  Lyman's 5 grains would not cycle my CZ52 with the 87-grain bullet, but might cycle yours with the 100-grain, so I would give it a try.  I am using Starline brass and Federal 200 primers.

Attached Files

Close