125 gr RNF lee for hunting

• Last Post 13 October 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
2frogs posted this 11 October 2022

I made up a few 125 gr RNF bullets from the lee mold. Bhn of 10. These little slugs are deadly accurate out of my s&w 6 inch at 50 yards. I was amazed. I think they will make a good whitetail bullet. Tried both coated and lubed ones. They both shot great with 2400 powder. What do you think.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
2frogs posted this 12 October 2022

I read all the post and have decided to take your advice and use the 158 gr swc/gas checked bullets. I fact I loaded some last night over the 2400 powder. I will test them this afternoon. I see your points. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Attached Files

Lee Guthrie posted this 11 October 2022

Should work nicely if you place the muzzle against the deer's head.  Otherwise, no.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 11 October 2022

The bullets are too light and the nose profile does not enough surface are to expand. They would just zip through or be stopped by dense muscle or bone. 

Something between 150 - 170 grain would be much better. A SWC or WFN profile would serve you much better. Take a look at these slugs.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/bullet-moulds/358/360-158-wfn-t4/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/bullet-moulds/358/360-172-swc-bc1/

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Lee Guthrie posted this 11 October 2022

Have I tried it?  NO.  And only in a survival situation where I needed meat and had no access to a cartridge and weapon suitable for hunting big game would I do so.

Your chosen cartridge is marginal for deer hunting out of a rifle, and you intend to use a pistol.

Your chosen bullet weight for a .357 mag is not appropriate for hunting.  Cast bullets for hunting should generally be heavy for the caliber.  Your chosen bullet design is inappropriate:  a wide meplat on a bullet that will not be traveling fast enough to initiate expansion would be preferred, so think either semi-wadcutter or an WFN design.

In short, you really should choose an adequate cartridge for deer hunting, but if you insist on using a .357 mag out of a pistol then use a 158 gr or heavier bullet of either a SWC or WFN design.  AND THEN, get really really close:  think recurve bow range.  You owe it to the deer.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
delmarskid posted this 11 October 2022

I wouldn’t do it. I hit one with a 158 jacketed hollow point behind her shoulder from a rifle at 50 yards and she stayed on her feet till I hit her two more times. Not one of my proud moments.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Aaron posted this 11 October 2022

Seems to me that you asked what we think. We told you what we think and since that differs from your plan to use these bullets, despite advice to the contrary, you argue every differing opinion in favor of your bullet.

Just go do what you wish to do and let us all know how things went. That's the simple answer. Who cares what I think. I could "prove" this argument either way.

I believe the deer in PA are a tad larger than the critters in the south east states. I use a 158gr KTSWC at 1300 fps.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Duane Mellenbruch
358156hp posted this 12 October 2022

The issue with light bullets is their lack of penetration. Cast bullets kill game primarily as a result of their design, and their penetration. Personally, I only have used cast bullets weighing 170 grains and up for medium game with .357 mag handguns, and this is with full power loads. My "go to" design is LBTs 180 gr LFN plain base. I also have a number of bullet moulds that I feel are also suitable, including a number of hollow point designs. I do use HPs for hunting, but I have also fussed over bullet design, and the design of the hollow point itself before making my design selections. I've been watching the threads, you are getting some excellent advice here, and I totally agree with the recommendation that you consider using a heavier weight bullet with a decently wide and flat meplat.

The details become more critical when you're using smaller calibers like .357. The 357 can do very well on deer at closer ranges, but you need to do everything in your power to stack the odds more in your favor. You've hunted before, you know that not all shots are taken from a solid rest at a deer that is standing perfectly still, and crossways to you.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 12 October 2022

Hello 2frogs

I have people ask me why I carry a big ole heavy 45 auto 1911 for self defense, and my answer is, I don't have a 50 Cal. handgun. The same applies for hunting, use the biggest heaviest you can get with the biggest flat nose bullet available.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Lee Guthrie
mashburn posted this 12 October 2022

Hello 2frogs,

I probably live in the biggest lot of poachers in the US. How many deer that are shot with a rimfire .22 do you think run off and die. Some don't die and survive to get plinked with a .22 again .Most people who poach with a .22 do so because of the low noise level to keep them a little harder to catch or they don't own a center-fire rifle and are about to starve to death.A lot of these people after crippling a deer will go home and get their hound dog and go back and trail it up. Your old time poachers who used .22's were mostly great marksman who could put the little bullet behind the ear, in the eye or throat.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • sluggo
358156hp posted this 13 October 2022

Safety

Accuracy

Velocity

Keep 'em in that order and you'll do very well indeed.

Duane nailed it.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

That's my plan.lol

Attached Files

Why do you say no? Have you tried it yourself or are you just going by what you have heard? I need more information as to why it wouldn't work.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 11 October 2022

Not a hunter, but would defer to others.

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZLBR&pc=MOZI&q=suggested+cast+bullet+weight+for+hunting+deer+with+357+magnum

You may notice that the starting weight for the bullet is 158 grains, and heavier is mentioned favorably.  Your choice of course.

Attached Files

These bullets have a nose as wide as the swc bullets. I wonder if anyone told poachers that a 22 bullet is to small? Think they did,I doubt it.

Attached Files

You speak the truth. But that's still is not proving that it's not going to work. I know a couple guys that hunt with good success using 38 special ammo in a rifle. No one told them it couldn't or shouldn't be used. Oh well.appreciate your reply..

Attached Files

That's because you used a hollow point and their worthless for hunting. I tried them once and they open to quick..but this is a solid lead bullet.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 12 October 2022

What MV.do you think I should try for with but 158 swc in my smith 6 inch barrel

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 12 October 2022

Looks like you can get 1500 with H110.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 13 October 2022

Please do not sacrifice accuracy for velocity.  As you get more pressure to get the velocity, you may need a stronger alloy.  Working up the load will tell you what the gun wants. 

Attached Files

Close