Titegroup

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 18 December 2015
Pigslayer posted this 14 December 2015

Well, I've had a  new pound of Titegroup sitting on the shelf for over a year now. Thought I' give it a try in my .44 Special. The max for a 255 gr. GCSWC in the Lyman manual is 4.5 grs.. I'm using a 255 gr. PBSWC & cut it back to 4.2 grs. for starters. I noticed that upon pouring some out into the powder measure that it had small clumps in it. Never had powder do that before. I decided to set the powder measure to just shy of the mark & then weigh each charge using my scales & a trickler.      Please chime in as to your experiences with this powder. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billglaze posted this 14 December 2015

Pigslayer, haven't been using Titegroup very long, so haven't had your experience with it, but have noticed it in the case of some ancient 4895, as well as some equally ancient 4064.

I just put a half-pound or so of either one (no, not together) into a container, and sifted it by hand, breaking up the “clumps.” Sounds kind of Stone Age, but worked fine for me. Shot and chronographed both powders, and got nominal performance. Can't guarantee it for anyone else, but that's been my experience.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 14 December 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer I like Titegroup and have had no clumping. It meters well for me with my Lyman #55 and my Lee AutoDisk. I use Titegroup in 12 ga., .500 S&W Mag., .308 Win., 7.62X39, and .223 Rem.

I have never actually had any powder clump on me. I'd just shake it good, try it and close it well if it smells OK.

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 14 December 2015

I just got 3 pounds of TiteGroup and have only loaded 2 sets of cases. The only strange thing is that the powder sticks to the plastic hoppers in Lyman and Redding 3BR measures, when I empty them. Very static electricity. Don't know if it's the powder, the measures or he climate. I guessed at 5, 5.5 and 6 grains, 60 grain cast bullet, 223.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 14 December 2015

joeb33050 wrote: I just got 3 pounds of TiteGroup and have only loaded 2 sets of cases. The only strange thing is that the powder sticks to the plastic hoppers in Lyman and Redding 3BR measures, when I empty them. Very static electricity. Don't know if it's the powder, the measures or he climate. I guessed at 5, 5.5 and 6 grains, 60 grain cast bullet, 223. Static electricity is causing the powder to cling inside powder hopper. Wipe hopper's inside  parts down with used Cling Free dryer sheet.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 December 2015

you could try a small copper wire wrapped around your powder measure and the other end to a ” grounded ” conduit ...

you can tell your onlookers you have a new apple I-measure .

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 14 December 2015

Pat: TiteGroup is my go to powder for handguns and low recoil rifle loads. I've never seen any lumps in any of the several pounds I have. Was the seal tight when you opened it for the first time? As to the static cling, I've heard that comes from the combination of the small grains and a high Nitro content (HP-38 and Win 231 do the same) TiteGroup also clings to the bases of powder coated bullets so it seems to have an affinity for plastics. I always empty the powder hopper and wipe it down after each use. Let me know how it works for you in the 44spl, I bet you'll be pleased. Gp

Attached Files

mckg posted this 14 December 2015

No clumps with my lot, which is 10 years old.

I however got clumps 20+ years ago with an other spherical in the 110/296 range. I would break them with a wooden rod but they would reappear and stick in the measures' drums/disks, causing squibs.

So you do have to check each load, yes. I would use a dipper to speed things up as it is so difficult to check TG once in the cases.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 14 December 2015

I have had great luck in 22-250 with 8/SR4756.

I bought Titegroop to develop loads-4756 is discontinued.

Where would I start?

Maybe 6, then 6.5, then 7?

Or 7, then 7.5, then 8?

I've got enough LLA for a looooong time. My wife explained that there will be NO double boiler business going on. She can't get over the 1978 screened porch blaze. We seldom used that porch anyhow. Thanks, GP. joe b.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 14 December 2015

Joe:I've gotten some good results from 4756 also; I bought enough of it after the discontinuation, that the local stores would jack up the price when they saw me coming.I also went the Titegroup route; pretty good shooting stuff; quite similar to Red Dot.I know you mentioned the .22-250, but I thought I'd tell about the similar-sized .220 Swift I've been working with.  If I had to pick one of the fast powder group, Titegroup gets the nod.Going through my book, I found that using the Lyman 225438 (the littlest bullet in their lineup,) I was loading 7 gr. of Titegroup.  This netted a chronograph reading of Avg. 2026 fps, e.s. 37 ft., s.d. 10.  Accuracy isn't “Gee Whiz” but a decent beginning at <2” at 100 yds. For 10 shots.Having such a great time with my new Sav. 12 in 6mm Norma BR, I can't seem to put it down long enough to resume my other rifle experimentation.Anyway, HTH. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 14 December 2015

Joe: I have 6gr. TiteGroup in 22-250 noted on the page “loads I like” in my note book. This with the 55gr. Lee Bator. I think that would be a good start point. Glad to hear the LLA made it to you safely, I had nightmares after shipping that the USPS would mangle the box all over Christmas packages or their machinery, can't see that making them too happy. lol Burned the porch down Huh. We once burned down a gazebo at a local lake during an infamous bass tournament , this while BBQing a whole hog to extremely well done, but that's another story. Gp

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 December 2015

Looking for a START can also be aided with voodoo math, but the safety risk is real. The charge reduction software I frequently recommend is designed to ONLY reduce charges. Simple algebra will allow you to use the software to predict charges for velocity increases with the software. I won't explain how because I don't want to send anyone toward danger.

Deciding how far you can go up in charge with safety is NOT built into using Algebra to bypass the safety of the charge reduction program when I apply algebra to use the software to make predictions in the opposite direction the software was designed for.

I have only done this for myself in instances where I am certain the upward projection is within safe data. I mean that completely. I do this with a chronographed low load that is well within safety and I want an upward prediction that that I am sure is well within safety. You have to know ahead of time that the charge increase is safe as the voodoo math only gives you the mathematic answer, not a safe ballistic pressure guarantee.

Link to charge reduction free online software:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/reduced.asp>http://www.handloads.com/calc/reduced.asp

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 16 December 2015

The clumps that I found in the Titegroup powder broke up easily. It wasn't really a major concern. The container was new/unopened with a tight seal. I had read a number of reviews on it with one recommending that one empty the powder measure after use due to clumping. I generally leave my powder measures with powder in them & appropriately marked identifying the powder in them and tightly capped. I have four (4) Lyman #55's & two (2) Lee autodisks. I'll keep an eye on the Titegroup.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 17 December 2015

Powder clumps can come with any powder. I suspect residual solvent. Most powders used to be graphitized, so they wouldn't suffer static cling. If they use “green” solvents, they are not as volatile and are harder to evaporate (have to keep VOCs low). TiteGroup is one of my powders that clumps up--in can and in measure. Irritating but not an issue for charge weights. I have a 30 year old can of PB and you can still smell the ketones and ethers used.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 18 December 2015

Savage 12 FV, 223, 225646M 60 gr., CCI SR, 100 yards Loaded 27 each with 5, 5.5 and 6 grains of titegroup None made groups, shot all 27 at one target, for each load, 3 targets. 6 gr shot ?best?, that's the target shown. Others are worse. At the end I thought maybe leading, shot 5 with IMR4227 into 1.85", no leading.

These didn't seem too fast, elevation didn't change much from good-shooting loads. Anybody have a titegroup 223 load with ~60 gr bullet?

Thanks; joe b.  

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 18 December 2015

joeb33050 wrote: Savage 12 FV, 223, 225646M 60 gr., CCI SR, 100 yards Loaded 27 each with 5, 5.5 and 6 grains of titegroup None made groups, shot all 27 at one target, for each load, 3 targets. 6 gr shot ?best?, that's the target shown. Others are worse. At the end I thought maybe leading, shot 5 with IMR4227 into 1.85", no leading.

These didn't seem too fast, elevation didn't change much from good-shooting loads. Anybody have a titegroup 223 load with ~60 gr bullet?

Thanks; joe b.   Poor bullet to throat fit, fouled barrel, frustration, etc., will cause horrible groups like that. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 December 2015

joeb ::

i may have a mental defect ::: i actually enjoy looking at your 4 inch groups .... something deep inside me is smiling .

i may need help ....

and as i tell my wife :: it could be worse .

why are they 4 inches ?? is the barrel vibrating 4 inches ?? why not 16 inches ?? must be Something to be learntened here ...

your bullets are pretty good ...4227 is slower ( y gentler ) ... how about trying 4198 ... 3031 ...

4 moa from good proven decent bullets ...with mj, the wrong powder goes from 1 moa to 1.4 moa .... with cast, goes from 2 moa to 6 or 8 moa .

we shall overcome ... eventually .

ken

Attached Files

Close