Proof testing new barrels

• Last Post 07 December 2015
bandmiller2 posted this 05 December 2015

I have threaded,chambered and fit several barrels to my rifles and have never given a thought to proofing the barrels. Is proofing only done at the manufacturers level or do some smiths use the blue pills.?? Is it commonly done or not really necessary with good modern barrels.?? Thanks Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 05 December 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5654>bandmiller2

Just one opinion....I'd consider proofing the barrel maker and seller more important.

Gary

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 December 2015

FWIW, only two of the gunsmiths I have known “proofed” their work. And that was with three and five factory rounds, as they said any problems would show up by then.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 December 2015

In manufacturing, testing is done at two levels. First, the design - is the design and are the materials capable? Second, the production. Is the assembly done as spec'd and are the materials as spec'd.

From that standpoint, if the design you have is common, typical hence a proven design you don't need to do anything more; if the materials the barrel is made from are what they should be. “numbered” steels are well known and quality is traceable. Is the barrel from typical pre-hardened 4140? (that is just ONE typical steel that has proven itself in application)

Attached Files

corerf posted this 07 December 2015

Gunsmiths test fire with factory ammo. Cases inspected for headspace form to insure no chamber defects, etc.

No high pressure proof rounds. Wanna proof your work, if the action is rated for 65kpsi, load up some mfgr Max loads and send 1. If the case measures correct that's all that is necessary. Your not building a new platform, your initializing a new barrel. There is a big difference new design vs a re barrel

Attached Files

tominct posted this 07 December 2015

I worked at a shop that built NRA HP match rifles in the 90's and what corerf said was all that was done. Make sure the chamber job is good and headspace measures well, and it's done.

Attached Files

Close