what powder is this?? pics inside

• Last Post 30 November 2015
EvanGuy posted this 29 November 2015

i acquired three pounds of powder today. i know the du-pont can is “IMR 4831” but the two smaller cans just say “rifle powder 4831”

question is, if YOU were to use this powder what data would YOU look up? would you consider the smaller cans to also be “IMR 4831” or a variant of it?

other question is does anyone have an idea how old this stuff is? it may be from the same time but the smaller cans look lot older to me personally. im not sure if the guy who gave it to me said it was 30 years old or i miss understood him? he used it to load a win .270

im not sure what ill use it for as i only reload for 303 British, 43 Mauser, and shot gun shells.

it seems its a “magnum powder” or  commonly used in rifles around 55,000-65,000psi thats pretty hot lol,

im just looking for info, thoughts or ideas about this powder.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 30 November 2015

My best guess is that it is older milsurp or pulled powder. If my half mind serves correct Hogdon sold it. Wiser (older) people than I can direct you with data if it ain't all rotchy and stuff.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 November 2015

As an official “old guy” I “believe” this is pulled, take down powder from WW11, or suplused that was not bought by the German Wehrmacht. Sweden supplied a majority of powder for Germany (not going to let a little war interfere with business are we?)so this is likely for some type of 20 MM type ammo. Commonwealth countries received a lot of material that did not show up in the US, as we were awash in extra smokeless powders. It is most likely slower than US surplus 4831, but you are on your own. While I have an Australian reloading manual from the period, it only lists US, British and Australian newly manufactured powders. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 30 November 2015

On the can it says Nobel Rifle Powder, use 4831 data. I've shot many pounds of WWll surplus 4831. I found it to be about 3 grains slower than current production IMR4831.  I'd trust the clue on the label and use it if it still smells of either. Are these un opened cans?

Attached Files

EvanGuy posted this 30 November 2015

Thanks for the info, i figured you guys would be able to help me. also one can is new never used and the other can is about 3/4full and the dupont is full as well. i dont have anything to load with this stuff but i got it for free from a guy who has given me alot of reloading stuff over the last year.

It smells fine, like any other powder i have. Its long cylinders in shape. looks the same but a little fatter cylinders then the IMR4831. I think it would be fine to use based off smell and looks.

Ill just save it until one day i have somthing to reload with it. Cant pass up on free gun related stuff haha.

Attached Files

Close