Who loads cast in .380 ACP?

• 14K Views
  • Last Post 15 March 2016
Ed Harris posted this 19 October 2015

I succumbed to temptation and have on the way a 1934 Beretta autoloader in .380 ACP which I plan to try cast in, to compare with my .32 ACPs and .38 Colt New Police. My interest is in heavier bullets, using the 37-125T Accurate mold, which I ordered to drop .358 instead of the .365 diameter which is normal for it in the 9mm Makarov.  This is essentially the 31-087T bullet for the .32 ACP, simply increasing bullet diameter. I have been using 9x17R (.380 Rimmed Short) brass with this bullet in my circa 1930 Colt Police Positive in .38 Colt NP and will be using that data as a basis to start in the .380 ACP for the Beretta pistol, since case length and capacity is similar.  Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition has data for #358242 which also provides starting data which will be useful. Anyway, if anyone is loading cast in the .380, particularly with heavier bullets above 100 grains, I would like to know what you are using.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pigslayer posted this 15 March 2016

Ed Harris wrote: I instead of the Lee Factory Crimp die, which reduces the body diameter so that bullets are reduced to .356", I use a .38 Special carbide sizer with the decapping them removed, which reduces body diameter of loaded rounds to .373", which is within SAAMI limits. This profiles, but does not crimp. Received from Midway today a LEE .38 special carbide sizer die to remove the case bulge from my loaded .380 rounds. Works perfectly. Installed it in the last hole of my LEE 4-hole turret press. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 15 March 2016

I've got 28 empties. Does it count? Do I need a gun for them?

(Barrels under 4.1” are prohibs here...Oooops)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 March 2016

Gosh, was looking at the hit counter on this thread and I think there are lots more .380 owners lurking out there than .32 shooters, and if this keeps up it's going to catch up with the Bunny Gun category!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2016

I think 1:40 should so it.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 March 2016

Ed Harris wrote: In my testing the heat I sent you is too hard to expand at short-barrel .380 ACP velocities. I need to do some from softer alloy and repeat. Those you have should be fine for function tests and working up loads. 've been using 2.5 grains of Bullseye.  The Remington 102-grain Ultimate Defense perform as advertised.
I wonder how 40:1 alloy would do? Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2016

In my testing the heat I sent you is too hard to expand at short-barrel .380 ACP velocities. I need to do some from softer alloy and repeat. Those you have should be fine for function tests and working up loads. 've been using 2.5 grains of Bullseye.  The Remington 102-grain Ultimate Defense perform as advertised.

Pigslayer posted this 13 March 2016

Loaded up a bunch of Ed's hollow points. Heading to the range to see how they fly.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 March 2016

Ed Harris wrote: I instead of the Lee Factory Crimp die, which reduces the body diameter so that bullets are reduced to .356", I use a .38 Special carbide sizer with the decapping them removed, which reduces body diameter of loaded rounds to .373", which is within SAAMI limits. This profiles, but does not crimp.I actually crimped with a Lyman seating die. But the carbide .38 special sizing die is something to think about.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 March 2016

I instead of the Lee Factory Crimp die, which reduces the body diameter so that bullets are reduced to .356", I use a .38 Special carbide sizer with the decapping them removed, which reduces body diameter of loaded rounds to .373", which is within SAAMI limits. This profiles, but does not crimp.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 March 2016

Ed Harris wrote: Looks like it will work fine for its up close and personal purpose. You might find that your feeding issues are related to hold. The LCP requires a firm grip like shooting a .45 hardball gun and a stiff arm. Loose grip, one hand hold and bent elbow won't do it.  I hab itually use two-hand Isoceles with hardball grip and mine runs even light loads.

As you found out, 122-125 grain FN loads with 2.5 of Bullseye are “snappy” in this tiny gun.

What was the nature of your “bobbles"? Feeding into the chamber or getting out of the magazine? I found OAL with the flatnosed bullet must not exceed 0.95". Velocity is not affected and no apparent pressure spike if seating is a wee bit deeper, but I wouldn't go below 0.93". I used a 3/8” ball cutter to reshape the interior face of the Lee seater plug to better fit the short nose radius behind the meplat of the Accurate bullet, so that it leaves no mark. I also had Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com>http://www.hollowpointmold.com drill a 1/16” lube bleed hole about 3mm above the crimping shoulder of my seating die, which prevents the Lee Liquid Alox from building up and changing seating depth. Use the extruded “lube worms” to flux your casting pot. “Bobbles” having to do with feeding into the chamber. I'm a two handed shooter. With this gun the elbow was not bent. I'm right handed & my right was saddled into my left hand. It was a firm hold. I'm attributing the case feed malfunctions to some of my loads having some case bulge due to mixed headstamp & varying case wall thickness. At the times of malfunction the slide would be just shy of going full forward. Maybe 3/32". A little push on the slide sent it home. I think that successively finer grits of compound with my dremel in polishing the ramp will also help.      Yes, this is a snappy little load & not one to be taken lightly if faced with it. Many discount the power of the .380 but it's not something that I would want to be the recipient of at close range . . . or any range. Pat

Attached Files

Looks like it will work fine for its up close and personal purpose. You might find that your feeding issues are related to hold. The LCP requires a firm grip like shooting a .45 hardball gun and a stiff arm. Loose grip, one hand hold and bent elbow won't do it.  I hab itually use two-hand Isoceles with hardball grip and mine runs even light loads.

As you found out, 122-125 grain FN loads with 2.5 of Bullseye are “snappy” in this tiny gun.

What was the nature of your “bobbles"? Feeding into the chamber or getting out of the magazine? I found OAL with the flatnosed bullet must not exceed 0.95". Velocity is not affected and no apparent pressure spike if seating is a wee bit deeper, but I wouldn't go below 0.93". I used a 3/8” ball cutter to reshape the interior face of the Lee seater plug to better fit the short nose radius behind the meplat of the Accurate bullet, so that it leaves no mark. I also had Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com>http://www.hollowpointmold.com drill a 1/16” lube bleed hole about 3mm above the crimping shoulder of my seating die, which prevents the Lee Liquid Alox from building up and changing seating depth. Use the extruded “lube worms” to flux your casting pot.

Attached Files

Went to the range today armed with my .380 LCP & Eds 35-122T bullets loaded with 2.5 grs. Bullseye. OAL - .095".      The gun is of course new to me & used but in mint almost new condition. When I first started shooting I was surprised at how stout the load was with 2.5 grs. Bullseye & would not go any heavier. At first I was shooting to the left of the bull. I adjusted using “Kentucky” windage held that zero throughout. As I continued to shoot my impact area seemed to shift to the right but I held my adjusted zero. After settling down & becoming familiar with where the double action trigger would break, this is where I was as I shot the last six of my bullets.      My .358” LEE sizing die was actually sizing to .3575 according to Starrett. Bullets were tumble lubed with LEE liquid ALOX. There was absolutely no leading. Barrel was clean as a whistle when I finished shooting. I did have some feeding issues from time to time but throughout I had a heck of a good time. Mind you I was using mixed headstamp brass. I know that my shooting will improve with practice. If only I had had another hundred to shoot. Drat!! Pat

Enjoyed lunch with you and Gary yesterday, and the visit to Hafers and Hendershots. The broiled seafood platter upheld the culinary honor of your home state!

Attached Files

Ed,      These are your samples loaded with 2.5 gr. Bullseye at .095 OAL. Cases are of mixed headstamp but found no issues in chambering. Pat

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 March 2016

I prefer not to ship ammo. I don't shoot other people's reloads and wouldn't expect them to shoot mine. I have a couple testers on this forum I have sent bullets and shared recipes with and I think we have enough to do the testing. If you'd like some csst bullets to try I can send you some.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 05 March 2016

Ed - only semi-followed this thread. Recently got a Ruger LCP .380. If you have a few loaded rounds and want shooting data/feedback, would be happy to shoot 'em and provide feedback and send back the brass and any factory brass I shoot to you.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 February 2016

Picked up my Ruger LCP .380 today. What a nice little pocket pistol it is. Used but in like new condition with four clips for $250.00 plus tax!!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 February 2016

Bought a Ruger LCP .380 today. Will pick it up next saturday. Gotta wait on the MD background check.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 February 2016

FYI inspected my 36-125T hollow-point mold and a tiny bit of lead splash I didn't notice on on the block face had “Beagled” the mold so that it was dropping oversized castings.  Heated up the mold on a hot plate and brushed it off and all is well now.

The cavities which Erik modified to HP have a somewhat larger .25” meplat, which also feeds fine in the LCP. Having only one cavity left in the 3-cavity mold I decided to get another set of blocks so that I could run solid FNs in harder alloy and segregate solids from the modified HP mold for the .38 S&W.

So I ordered another 3-cavity Accurate mold with the diameters adjusted for the .380 and also with the bullet shortened slightly to 0.47” overall so that the meplat is now 0.255” or 0.7 of bullet diameter. This is as large a meplat as will feed from the Ruger LCP and M1934 Beretta. 

This small auto ogival wadcutter design should give great crush performance and deep penetration at pocket pistol velocities.

And it is now listed in Accurate's online catalog as the 35-122T

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 February 2016

Thank you so much ED!! Looking to order my Ruger LCP Custom this weekend. Today when I got home there was a package that I ordered containing 300 once fired .380 brass. Mostly Winchester & Federal & all cleaned up for $18.00 plus tax. Getting prepared!! Thanks Again Ed! Pat    

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close