What bullet for the Beretta PX4 Storm 40 S&W

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 14 February 2016
cbshtr posted this 03 October 2015

My son just bought a new Beretta PX4 Storm in 40 S&W and wants to shoot cast in it. I have barely ever shot a semi auto let alone load for one. Was wondering what everyone is shooting in their 40 S&W's? Any loading preferences such as powder is appreciated. About the only thing I know about the bullet design is that most I've seen were truncated cone and that's only because I saw them while researching other calibers. Pretty much want to get just one mold and powder in order to keep component costs down. Thanks.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 03 October 2015

I shoot LEE's 175-TC unsized, and they don't seem to budge even after hitting the #$@!&*^% “improved” short ramp of my Norinco NP40 ("NZ 40"). Loads are: TiteGroup 4.0 to 4.7; 700-X 4.5 and 4.8gr, OAL 1.13” (more or less what Hodgdon says for what is maximum with a 180 plated). 700-X is a bit irregular by volume so make sure you figure out the real max. delivered by your measure.

Please read this page: http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm>http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 07 October 2015

Thanks mckg. The Lee bullet was the mold I had in mind and I have plenty of 700x. I was hoping for more responses to see more options but your suggestion is a good starting point.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 07 October 2015

For whatever reason, not that many .40 S&W shooters cast their own bullets. The caliber tends to attract more ISPC type shooters who buy bulk cast bullets to shoot all right, but they typically don't care about casting their own.

I'm fairly new here but I'm getting the impression that most of the people on this board shoot .45 ACP in automatics, but most are more into revolvers.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 08 October 2015

Read your owners manual, there should be a minimum bullet weight recommendation under “ammunition". My PX4 9mm recommends 124 gr and heavier. I think the 40 cal version recommends 180 gr for proper function.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 09 October 2015

Good point about the minimum bullet weight. Did not think about that. Myself would have gone with a 45 acp but my son wanted the 40 s&w.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 October 2015

I don't own a .40 S&W, but local Sheriff's and State Police here use them, and a few neighbors would like to reload this caliber. Always interesting in educating myself and would like to hear of recipes which work in the common cop guns. Glock, Beretta, SIG, Ruger et al. Understand from locals that the Storm Lake barrels for Glocks handle cast OK, and that 180-grain Cowboy bullets for .38-40 at 900 fps are the proven recipe, but need particulars......

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 October 2015

edit delete fs post

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 11 February 2016

Back when the .40 (10mm) first came out, people tried 38-40 cast bullets of 180 to 200 grains, usually that worked out OK.

This may be why you don't see a lot of molds offered specifically for the .40 and 10mm? If existing 38-40 bullets worked well, (I guess) there was no driver for further development.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 11 February 2016

Actually Mitch, you can get practically anything you want in bullet mould designs today. The old guard, Lyman, RCBS, etc, only produce moulds they believe they can sell thousands of annually. The newer makes, Accurate, NOE, and others have a staggering assortment to choose from. I'm not certain the 40 gets as much attention as the 9mm & 45 ACP, but most of the 40 shooters I've seen at the range seem to be content to blast away with the cheapest factory ammo they can find.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 February 2016

just a comment of why we caster/reloaders like revolvers a lot //// we are getting too dang old to chase down our brass .i love my makarov and beretta 92 but try to bring along a youngster when i blast away with them .... now my security six just lays the brass nicely in my hand ... how swweet !!

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 11 February 2016

My Hi-Point 40 S&W Carbine likes the Lee 175 TC over 8gr. Blue Dot. The carbine isn't pretty but never misses a beat. Shoots cast as well as it shoots plated bullets.  Gp

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 February 2016

Two things I know about this; my used police trade-in Gen 3 Glock 22 with factory .40 polygonal barrel leads right up with either of two cast bullets. I've decided to not shoot cast thru that barrel. Second, my wife's PX4 Storm 9mm runs just fine on anything it's been fed so far, including a lot of 115fmj and reduced cast bullet 125 loads. Not picky at all. The PX4's rotating barrel is a fascinating machine, to me. PS The factory Glock .40 does fine with plated bullets.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 11 February 2016

Chasing brass doesn't bother me since I spent $45 on a neat little pickerupper on a stick.  It is an ovate  wire cage that rolls over the brass and picks it up into the inside of the cage.  It picks up everything from 12ga. to 22rf.  I don't have to bend over any more. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 February 2016

hey tturner ... i spose we will be seeing some powder coated cast slugs for that glock poly barrel pretty soon ??

ken

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 12 February 2016

Nope. Got too many projects as is. Keeping the Glock for business. But, I did get a Wolf replacement barrel for it. Converts it to a 9mm. Pretty handy and the Wolf barrel is cast friendly.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 12 February 2016

Interesting about the leading in the Glock mentioned in a previous posting. I have a Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. that has many hundreds of full-house loads thru it, and, despite the manufacturers warning, I have never experienced one instance of leading, despite the polygonal rifling. My gun does say when using un-jacketed bullets, to make sure they have gas checks--which they do. (Lyman 429215.). I could be wrong, but I have been told that the manufacturers now state “no lead bullets.” Jacketed only. Interesting--at least I think their (alleged) change of stance indicates some problem that I don't have.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 14 February 2016

Sometimes called a pecan picker.

My wife got me one for my birthday, although when I call it a pecan picker (the only name I know for it) she goes into a rage.  So I don't talk about it any more.

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1118>Old Coot wrote: Chasing brass doesn't bother me since I spent $45 on a neat little pickerupper on a stick.  It is an ovate  wire cage that rolls over the brass and picks it up into the inside of the cage.  It picks up everything from 12ga. to 22rf.  I don't have to bend over any more. Brodie

Attached Files

Close