Vetterli

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 06 October 2015
waltherp88 posted this 28 September 2015

I just received my new mold from Accurate for my Vetterli ,as suggested by members.  I also received as a gift 28 pounds of lead ingots with 5.5% antimony.  I was wondering if this was the correct mix to use or what mix should I be using?  I plan to load them as I have loaded the pre cast with 19 grains of 5744 powder, chronographed at ~1084 ft. per second.  Any help would be very much appreciated as usual.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 28 September 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8054>waltherp88

Your 5.5% Antimony alloy is BHN 13.66 by formula.  Commercial cast bullets are generally BHN 16-20.

So, your alloy is appreciably softer than commercial cast. I suspect it will be just fine with your 5744 load but it will likely have a different point of impact. So, re-sight in.

Gary

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 September 2015

You did not indicate whether you intended to shoot black powder or smokeless in your Vetterli. For the purposes of selecting a proper alloy, at the low velocity you are seeking, it probably makes little difference. You do not need, and probably do not want a hard alloy at blackpowder velocities below about 1300 fps / ~400 m/s. A hardness of 8-10 BHN is entirely suitable.

Basic Rules for Hardening Lead:

For every 1% additional tin, Brinell hardness increases 0.3. For every 1% additional antimony, Brinell hardness increases 0.9.

For a simple equation,

Brinell = 8.60 + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony )

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 September 2015

in my experience in shooting old guns with plain base bullets at about 12-1400 fps with smokeless ... you could extend your alloy by mixing it 50-50 with softer lead ... i have shot a lot of unhardened 22 rf backstop lead in old 32-40. 38-55 etc .... of course the catch is if you have to buy mixing lead at $2 per lb. it kinda becomes a financial puzzle ....

ken

Attached Files

waltherp88 posted this 06 October 2015

Sorry for the delayed thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

Attached Files

Close