Shooting cast in original Luger pistols

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 06 April 2016
M3 Mitch posted this 25 September 2015

Right now I have 3 Lugers - an American Eagle 30, a “Plain Jane” short barrel 9mm, and an Artillery in 9mm.

So far the .30 has been the best shooter.  With a slower rifling twist, it shoots a 93 grain cast Lyman bullet pretty much to point of aim, and minute of beer can, out to 40 yards or so.  I'm using wheel weight metal, and usually LBT Blue lube.  Unique powder.  I don't recall the charge weight.  One small trick I have discovered on this gat anyway is that loading to longer than “book” max cartridge length seems to improve accuracy.  I should measure a few rounds and post up the “outlaw” OAL.  My impression is that “long loading” a cartridge can't hurt anything, so long as the bullet is securely supported so it does not push back on feeding.  The usual test for this is if you can push the bullet back in the case by pushing it against the edge of the loading bench, using more or less normal “regular guy” hand strength. 

The 9's have been a bit harder to get to shoot without leading.  Either one will go through 50 rounds roughly before leading starts to hurt accuracy.   I'm mostly shooting the truncated cone Lyman bullet, I think 124 grain but need to check that.  I have some old CF Ventures wax gas check material and have used that under the 9mm bullet, maybe it helps with leading a bit.  Whatever happened to CF Ventures anyway?   Shows how far I go back with shooting cast. I tend to blame the leading on the 10” twist of the 9's.  Until the leading spoils the party, these 2 will stay on a beer can out to 40 yards as well.  I'm using Unique in the 9 as well as the 30.  Unique has become my “go to” powder for oddball, small pistol cartridges.

The ergonomics of the Luger are quite different from say a Gold Cup. The center of gravity is more or less right in your hand, not front heavy like most shooters are used to.  The Barleycorn sights are not as user friendly as Patridge sights, but if you concentrate on the front sight, they can give as I said minute of beer can to 40 or even 50 yards.  The trigger action is also unique to Lugers and frankly takes some getting used to.  Like I say this thing ain't a Gold Cup.  But with a positive attitude, and some willingness to work with it, the Luger can be a very satisfying plinker.  As a devout Cooperite, since neither the 30 nor the 9 can really “make major” I don't suggest their use against 2-legged varmints, unless you are caught with only your Luger available!

Who else shoots an original Luger? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 25 September 2015

CFVentures is still available.

CFVentures

509 S Harvey Drive

Bloomington

Indiana 47403-1715

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 25 September 2015

Duane,

Thanks! I don't see their ads in Fouling Shot anymore, so thought they had gone bust.

-Mitch

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 02 October 2015

So, am I the only CBA member shooting cast in a Luger?

If so, IMHO, the rest of you guys are missing out on a good thing, particularly the .30. Brass is not that common, true, but I had the sense to buy a big bag of it a few years back (before all the hording nonsense that we are still suffering from).

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 05 April 2016

Continuing the thread a bit - I looked online and while Winchester brass is out of stock (I think my stash is Winchester) Starline brass seems to be available at $101 for 500 rounds. I have heard Starline brass is excellent, as to if it's better or worse than Winchester, or about the same - I don't know. If anyone has been using Starline, please post up with your opinions. Contrary to what some people have written (thankfully not here)the 30 Luger can not be made by necking the 9mm down - that would result in a case with almost no neck. Some time ago I saw a 9mm Winchester Magnum listed, pretty sure it's rare to find anymore and may be thicker internally, so would hesitate to try to make this into 30 Luger. Unless there is something wrong with the Starline brass, I say buy a bag of it if you have a 30 Luger chambered pistol - original Luger or Browning High Power, etc. These guns frequently go for a discount at sales because the ammo is not common.

Of course 9mm brass is one of the most common range pick-ups, you can even price shop it online.

I really need to get some larger diameter 9mm bullets and see if I can cure the leading problem on the 9's. Spring at my mini-ranch has me paying too much attention to irrigation and not enough to shooting.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 06 April 2016

I shoot cast from my Pop's DWM Luger. I use the Lyman/Ideal 356402 sized .357” and oven heat treat them. I use Starline in the 38-55, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 45-70, and 50-110.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 06 April 2016

admiral wrote: I shoot cast from my Pop's DWM Luger. I use the Lyman/Ideal 356402 sized .357” and oven heat treat them. I use Starline in the 38-55, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 45-70, and 50-110. Hey, I'm not alone in here after all!  What barrel length of Luger, what powder charge, how is accuracy for you?  Do you get any leading?  What lube?

I am more and more suspecting that my RCBS 9mm mold - 356402 clone - casts about .356 (I need to check bullets with a caliper) and that this is undersized for my Lugers (details about them in first post). As noted, I get some leading and accuracy fall-off after about 50 rounds - using a moderate charge of Unique, LBT Blue lube, and wheel-weight alloy. 

How do you like the Starline brass you are using?

Attached Files

admiral posted this 06 April 2016

I think RCBS mold sizes are figured with linotype. WW alloy drops under size out of them. I have been experimenting with Longshot powder lately. Accuracy has been good but that pistol has always shot well. I remember reading Ken Waters articles and he always commented how accurate his Luger was. I don't have a leading problem with oven heat treat .3575” bullets. I tried water dropped bullets but they were never as clean as oven treated in any of my handguns when both are proper size of the firearm in question. I use LBT Blue soft. I've never had any issues with Starline brass. It seems to hold up longer in full house 44 Mag, and Ruger strength 45 Colt loads than Win or R-P. In those two cartridges Federal and Starline  brass are my favorites.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 06 April 2016

Thanks for the info. I read in Sixguns by Keith that back in the 40's and 50's gun writers tended to bash the Luger since it was not being made or imported to the US anymore, so they could bash it without angering an advertiser. Elmer of course considered both 30 and 9mm as “small game only” cartridges, I tend to agree, given that they are not legal for deer in most states, anyway I have plenty of bigger revolvers that are more suited to bigger game. But anyway most honest reporters say the Luger is quite accurate, a natural pointer. The sights and trigger are no where near as user-friendly as a good tuned 1911, but I find I can work with them.

I think I'll order a bag of Starline brass since it's available now, strike while the iron's hot as they say.

Attached Files

Close