Mold release

• 7.1K Views
  • Last Post 01 December 2008
cat1870 posted this 16 July 2007

Who uses mold release when casting & what kind do you use?

I've used the NEI which can be applied with a q-tip & I've used the MidWay spray on.

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Kodyak posted this 17 July 2007

I've not found that a “mold release agent” is needed. If I buy a new mould, I spray it inside and out with Brake Cleaner. After it drys real good, I smoke the inside with a wood match. Bullets fall right out upon opening of the mould.This is used on Lyman moulds.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 July 2007

I bought the NEI years ago and have only used it once. The coating will cause the bullets to cast a smaller diameter.

I agree with Kodyak and do not use any type a mould release, cause it just isn't necessary. If a bullet sticks, something is wrong. The mould is either not perfectly clean or the cavity has a fine little bur somewhere on it.......................Dan

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 03 August 2007

Clean the mold with Micro-90 and other than lubing the pins and sprue - no mold release is needed.

You can get a free concentrated bottle of the stuff from the manufacturer ... be sure to include a company name: http://www.ipcol.com/sample.htm

Attached Files

Muddy posted this 26 December 2007

I have can of midway brand release but found it works a lot better as sight black on my 1917 enfield in our local matches!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 December 2007

I don't use mould release, but I do use a wee bit of carnuba or beeswax to lubricate the sprue plate pivot and alignment pins of moulds to prevent galling.

New aluminum moulds need a light smoking to get good fill-out during their break-in period, but this is no longer needed after you've cast several thousand bullets in them.

Saeco and NEI iron (meehanite) moulds don't require smoking, but Lyman moulds may, if they even after degreasing if the cavities are not well heat-blued during stress relief.

Balky iron moulds can be usually be restored by a thorough cleaning in Brownell's D'Solve or Dicro-clean, a boiling water rinse, then dunking in the blue tank.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Win52D posted this 15 May 2008

I started using Midway's brand Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent with a new mould.  A cleaning with Gun Scrubber then a coating of mould release.  Bullets drop free of the mould better than any other mould I have used.  Further testing is needed to see if it is the release agent or just a great mould.

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2008

I use a little bit of wax on the pins like Ed does.

Most molds after so many rounds, some times a few hundred and other a thousand or more, don't need any treatment.

I use an old candle to smoke my newer molds and just go cast after that one time treatment.

Many molds, I fill with lead and let cool and then store them with the lead in them, never had any problems doing that.

Jerry

Attached Files

Win52D posted this 15 May 2008

I'm going to try leaving bullets in the mould one of these days.  I use wax on the pins in my aluminum moulds.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll start doing that next casting session

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2008

Win52D,

You mean your not casting right now, you need more dedication to this art form. :)

;}

Jerry

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 May 2008

Ed Harris wrote: I don't use mould release, but I do use a wee bit of carnuba or beeswax to lubricate the sprue plate pivot and alignment pins of moulds to prevent galling. I will never use carnuba wax on my moulds again for hinge lube or pin lube. Any hinge or pin lube will migrate. If carnuba wax migrates into the cavities (it does migrate), it is nearly impossible to get out and will cause wrinkled bullets.  I find just a touch of hi-temp wheel bearing grease is as good as anything, but beeswax is ok..............Dan

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 16 May 2008

The carbide smokers that high power rifle shooters use to blacken sights works ok, just don't over do it.

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 17 May 2008

John Boy wrote: Clean the mold with Micro-90 and other than lubing the pins and sprue - no mold release is needed.

You can get a free concentrated bottle of the stuff from the manufacturer ... be sure to include a company name: http://www.ipcol.com/sample.htm>http://www.ipcol.com/sample.htm Thanks for the information:dude:I requested for a sample.:lovecast:

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 May 2008

I requested my sample

Attached Files

Win52D posted this 18 May 2008

Has any tried Gun Scrubber?  I tried it on this new .22 mould and it worked exceptiionaly well.  after cleaning I used Frankford Arsenal mould release.  I was surprised at how well formed the first casts were.  I discarded them on general principle but they looked nearly good enough to shoot.

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 13 November 2008

Gents .... how did you like the Micro-90? FYI... when you make up your 2 or 5% solution and it get's dirty looking from shoving the tooth brush in the bottle ... don't throw the solution out.  I've been working with the same 100cc solution bottle that I made up for about a year now.  For me - thats over 2000 bullets cast, I believe

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 01 December 2008

I'll bite, what's Micro-90?

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 01 December 2008

Hunter - http://www.ipcol.com/shopexd.asp?id=15>http://www.ipcol.com/shopexd.asp?id=15

I've been using Micro-90 for over 2 years and swear by it!

Attached Files

big boar posted this 01 December 2008

I use a mold release but can't remember the name. On LBT blocks I've never needed it but on SOME RCBS, Lee and Lyman molds I've found the stuff does an OK job. I found the more I cast with a mold the less I need to use it but it does help.

Attached Files

Close