NEW Lyman 4500 - The Lube Piston will not come out?

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 09 July 2015
Stoney Burch posted this 08 July 2015

I purchased via internet a new Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer. Basically only had to bench mount it. Followed the instruction to remove piston from barrel to insert lube stick. However Mr. Murphy in hos wisdom has decided that the piston was not going to co-operate and has been very determined to stay in the barrel. It would appear that the center rod may not be threaded full length. Have tried to remove rod but only goes the bottom so far and then stops. likely the bussing shown on parts diagram is a permanent thing. The piston is roughly 1-3/4 inch into the barrel and no amount of wrenching in CW or CCW moves it in either direction. leads me to believe no threads on the rod where it sits. A call to Lyman was of no use. Send it to factory or return to where you bought it was their reply at my expense of course. Since both are 1500 miles plus away that shipping, time and ? for help. Does anyone have a fix? Would love to hear! Has anyone else had this problem with the 4500>  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
fa38 posted this 09 July 2015

There could be a burr on the threads of the shaft making the piston stuck in one spot.

Attached Files

Stoney Burch posted this 09 July 2015

Thanks fellas. Squirted WD-40 late last night. Will see how that works. Likely will have to get drill in there as suggested and stop it from turning with rod. Being in at 1.800” from top of barrel will be a bit tricky, But fortunately I have a 1/8” drill bit X 6” long that I can use. So Will try that on weekend.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 09 July 2015

Old Coot wrote: Stoney; I don't know what CW and CCW stand for, but I know that the piston on my lyman 450 won't come out unless I can some how hold it in place while I am turning the threaded rod.  Without some kind of friction it won't unscrew only turn .  Brodie  clockwise and counter clockwise I would guess

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 09 July 2015

There was recently a thread on Cast Boolits about this very problem.  Didn't pay too much attention but know they solved the problem OK.

Mike

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 09 July 2015

Does the piston (as you term it) rotate in the direction you are turning the rod when you try to either turn it in or out. If it does it may be hung up on something in the cylinder wall. A bit of WD 40 may allow it to stop rotating with the rod.
I had one of my lube sizers do this to me. I drilled a hole in the piston and used a screwdriver to stop its rotation. I then taped the hole for a set screw to close the hole so lube could not squirt thru it. If this is the problem you should probably polish the inside of the sizer so the piston can not hang up in that spot again.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 09 July 2015

Stoney; I don't know what CW and CCW stand for, but I know that the piston on my lyman 450 won't come out unless I can some how hold it in place while I am turning the threaded rod.  Without some kind of friction it won't unscrew only turn .  Brodie 

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close